Author Topic: "Damages": Worth stealing off the internet?  (Read 5369 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
"Damages": Worth stealing off the internet?
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »
The descriptions make it sound cheesy but it does seem well-regarded.  Should I bother with this one?

Generally with law/crime shows I like mysteries and procedural detail more than "lawyers are people too!" plotlines.

erika

• Space Champion!
Re: "Damages": Worth stealing off the internet?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »
If you're stealing it from the internet, why not just download it and see for yourself? If you don't like it, no harm done, right?
from the land of pleasant living

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
I'm really cautious about new shows.  I get hooked on them no matter what even if I know they're bad.  I watched all of season one of the Tudors for crying out loud.

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
What difference does it make if you enjoy a bad show? If you are worried about your image, just don't tell anyone.
I have a long history of booing

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:46:44 PM »
No, I watch shows that I don't even enjoy.  Cliffhangers get me.  I just want to know if this show is any good before I get accidentally hooked on it.  Jeesh.

wwwes

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:42 PM »
I'll say that if you're going to steal, there's far better ways to spend your morality.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm really cautious about new shows.  I get hooked on them no matter what even if I know they're bad.  I watched all of season one of the Tudors for crying out loud.

It was Jonathan Rhys Meyers smoldering blue eyes that hooked you, wasn't it?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
"Stealing" is a strong word.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:28:19 PM »

I also watched Season 1 of the Tudors.  As Season 2 approached, I began to get a sense of dread about watching it, so I didn't!  That's probably my greatest accomplishment of 2008.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Petey

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »
since erika is from baltimore and she has a cupcake in her avator, im assuming she owns this store:

http://www.baltimorecupcakecompany.com/

thats my two cents.

Love,

PD

Sarah

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:31:03 AM »
No, I watch shows that I don't even enjoy.  Cliffhangers get me.  I just want to know if this show is any good before I get accidentally hooked on it.  Jeesh.

I suffer from this disease, too, although I'm getting a little better.

I found Damages fairly gripping at first.  Contrived and excessive but involving.  I got sick of it, though, and probably won't bother with season 2.  If you do decide to watch it, the first season is only thirteen episodes long, which may be a comfort. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
I'm just the opposite. I give up on shows left and right. Somewhere in the back of my head there's this gnawing feeling of guilt, that I should spend my time watching movies instead of tv shows. So far this fall I've given up on True Blood and Dexter. I downloaded the first two episodes of Fringe and Sons of Anarchy, but haven't watched them yet.

Sarah

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
I envy you, Martin.  My affliction has caused me agony in the past.  For example, I, too, suffered through the entire first season of The Tudors.  Making the experience even more painful was the fact that I was so bored I'd keep falling asleep but my compulsion was such that I'd then have to rewind to the point where I dozed off and watch again--often only to drop off once more.  This doubled the amount of time I'd waste on a single episode.  It was hell.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 09:31:30 AM »
One of the episodes of Damages has Ted Danson riding around on a dirtbike*. If you can't decide whether you want to watch it or not based on this, I can be of no further assistance.

*To be fair, I may be misremembering the scene slightly. It's possible that we never actually see Ted Danson riding around on a dirtbike, but he's wearing dirtbike riding gear, and it is, at the very least, heavily implied that Ted Danson has been riding around on a dirtbike. So either they show Ted Danson riding around on a dirtbike, or the scene is put together well enough that you mentally fill in the image of Ted Danson riding around on a dirtbike, which is practically the same thing.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Sarah

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »
Perhaps knowing that Ted Danson plays a total sleaze bucket will help you decide, too.