Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 762021 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Winter Movies
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »
Can anyone who's also seen the documentary comment on how close Penn came to Milk's real character in terms of the voice and mannerisms?

I've seen the documentary and, based on the clips presented the Milk trailer, Penn doesn't seem to be very close to the real man in terms of voice and mannerisms (hence my original comment). Penn's voice seems a lot more like an impersonation of a stereotypically gay man than Milk's real voice.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »
I saw Marley & Me.  Not so bad!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »
I saw Marley & Me.  Not so bad!

Wow, they did everything that they could think of in the previews to make it look as irritating as possible.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »
Really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire. It's a lot of fun, although it's kind of minor, I think. I loved Old Joy and am looking forward to Wendy and Lucy. I  liked The Wrestler a lot. I've got a weakness for Mickey Rourke, pro wrestling and Todd Barry, so it was a natural fit. There's some schmaltzy stuff in it, but it's played pretty well. And Marisa Tomei! So persistently (and pleasingly) naked!

Wendy and Lucy broke my heart.

but it's awesome.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
Can anyone who's also seen the documentary comment on how close Penn came to Milk's real character in terms of the voice and mannerisms?

I've seen the documentary and, based on the clips presented the Milk trailer, Penn doesn't seem to be very close to the real man in terms of voice and mannerisms (hence my original comment). Penn's voice seems a lot more like an impersonation of a stereotypically gay man than Milk's real voice.

Just came across this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2008-12-29/rourke-trashes-penn/

I don't exactly trust Mickey Rourke's take on reality, but despite liking Penn's performance a lot the comment about his homophobia doesn't seem so hard to believe.

Jack from Arkansas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
Two good recently released dvds that both happen to feature Emily Mortimer; Transiberian and Five DaysTransiberian has Woody Harrelson and E. Mortimer crossing from China to Moscow on a train where they get involved in a Russian drug smuggling ring.  Five Days is made by HBO and the BBC and it's a mini-series about a family abduction.  It has an interesting Wire style of examining every level of the situation.  It is really well made.

namethebats

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
What was that movie that came out a year or two or three ago that took place entirely within an airport? I never saw it, and wondering if it sucked like I suspect it did.

Anyway, my thoughts turned to that movie since I have had so much drama and bullshit in conjunction with air travel during the last week. I won't bore anyone with it now, even though you could probably wind me up and listen to me bitch for the next day and a half if you so desired. I'm biting my tongue for now, but thinking of selling UAL short. I'll just say that I'm now thinking about airports as places where psychodramas unfold. I'm thinking it's an untapped area.

"The Terminal." And after having a similar air travel experience this week, I completely agree with you.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 11:25:23 PM »
Now, I love dogs to a degree that's baffling to some people. But when I heard they cast Owen Wilson in that movie, I cursed it and forebade anyone who would listen to see it. Was that okay?

cleveland jonah

• Policemans heel
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
Return To Witch Mountain

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »
My Bloody Valentine 3D. I hear Debbie Googe thrusts her bass at the camera just like Dr. Tongue.

(sorry)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 12:34:29 AM »
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2

It's Garbage Day.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 02:17:51 AM »
My Bloody Valentine 3D. I hear Debbie Bass thrusts her googe at the camera just like Dr. Tongue.

(sorry)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 02:19:54 AM »
Given my affection for movies set in snowy, desolate locales, my primary disappointment with Transsiberian was that it wasn't snowy or desolate-feeling enough (?!?!).  Half way decent movie otherwise though.  Bonus points for scenes set in Irkutsk.  

I should probably see My Winnipeg.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I hadn't heard of it yet.

Sarah

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:43 AM »
Check out Nói albínói.  Very snowy and desolate, if I remember right.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
Didn't care for Nói albinói. But do indeed see Frozen River, which is all kinds of desolate, snowy, ice-cold endless misery. Watched it this morning - not the best way to start off a Sunday. Appreciate the nods to the Dardennes, and Melissa Leo's performance, but... no.