Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703609 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
Looking forward to the Louis CK. I found his tribute to Greg Giraldo very touching.

Louis CK himself is really fantastic.  Totally authentic, and a guy that appears to be fully in charge of his craft, top to bottom.  He had a moment, and it was a perfect little story, and it choked me up. 

What was not fantastic was Maron's insistence on inserting his jealousy, resentment, and pettiness into every f'n interview.  He's pulling the "I am copping to this, therefore it's okay to just go with it" card, and it's really revolting. I find it extra stooooopid in light of Louis CK's honesty, even his honesty about his 'failures' in his career. 

I saw Louis CK last week.  2nd show at the Chicago Theater (holds, what, 3500 people--both were sold out), and his new stuff is really great.  Mining similar territory, but really fluid, honest stuff.  I just don't find this honest in Maron's comedy--he also seems to disdain or question comedians who work a lot, or rather have a work ethic.  Absolutely delusional dude, though and through.

I'm not trying to change your mind about Maron or argue with you (or even disagree, really), but to say that an interview is great while trying to give absolute zero credit to the interviewer is a bit unfair. Whether or not you like Maron's public character or his work, he deserves a bunch of credit for that interview. I've heard lots of interviews with Louis CK, and he's always candid and honest, but the WTF interview with something else entirely. I don't know if anyone else could've gotten that interview out of him.

I am in complete agreement, and not just because masterofsparks could beat me up if I disagreed with him.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
Looking forward to the Louis CK. I found his tribute to Greg Giraldo very touching.

Louis CK himself is really fantastic.  Totally authentic, and a guy that appears to be fully in charge of his craft, top to bottom.  He had a moment, and it was a perfect little story, and it choked me up. 

What was not fantastic was Maron's insistence on inserting his jealousy, resentment, and pettiness into every f'n interview.  He's pulling the "I am copping to this, therefore it's okay to just go with it" card, and it's really revolting. I find it extra stooooopid in light of Louis CK's honesty, even his honesty about his 'failures' in his career. 

I saw Louis CK last week.  2nd show at the Chicago Theater (holds, what, 3500 people--both were sold out), and his new stuff is really great.  Mining similar territory, but really fluid, honest stuff.  I just don't find this honest in Maron's comedy--he also seems to disdain or question comedians who work a lot, or rather have a work ethic.  Absolutely delusional dude, though and through.

I'm not trying to change your mind about Maron or argue with you (or even disagree, really), but to say that an interview is great while trying to give absolute zero credit to the interviewer is a bit unfair. Whether or not you like Maron's public character or his work, he deserves a bunch of credit for that interview. I've heard lots of interviews with Louis CK, and he's always candid and honest, but the WTF interview with something else entirely. I don't know if anyone else could've gotten that interview out of him.

No, no argument from me at all, and an admission of unfairness on my part.  I really do see this  as Maron's m.o.: He's been lucky (or tenacious) to have a built a nearly 30-year career with very little main-stream or even critical success/praise, and this in turn has given him access to a lot of comedians--hence the workshop nature of the show at times.  No one but a friend could have pulled that out of Louis CK, just as no one but Maron could have gotten Mencia to have had such a public meltdown (again, Maron's m.o.--he garners trust, gets you to open up, and he's a respected lifer, so he must be alright, right?). 

I'm saying he obliterates any semblance of good will, sentimentality, or endearment when he acts like a petulant child.  He's seemingly unhappy with what he clearly views as his 'consolation' prize of a very well liked (I never miss an interview of his--never), well-respected, and popular podcast.  Jesse Thorne seems quite pleased with himself on this front, and kudos to him. 

If Maron had a fraction of Thorne's non-invasive attitude during his interviews, he'd literally be the best in the game.  Literally. 

Instead we get a turd sandwich. With Louis CK's interview we get a guy pouring his heart out, simply to be asked if people are 'really like this?', and made to defend his success. 

I'm not even mentioning the broken drum that is his neuroses, basically creepy view of women, or his "shocking" take on race--those things are too obvious to even dissect. 

In spite of this invective, if he charged for this podcast, I would pay for it, as it gets a reaction from me every single time.  I actively look forward to each episode. 

Same way I look forward to eating a jalapeno pepper every morning, right after my cold shower--that way I know the worst part of the day is over. 

But, your point about fairness is exactly right on.  This guys sorta brings out the mean in me. 

YET I CAN'T QUIT HIM....
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
Interesting observations Ike. I enjoy Marc's confessional, inner dialogue let it all hang out style. I have a feeling with Louis CK, there were obviously some personal issues being sorted out. I think a few years ago Maron was enjoying a period of success and notoriety with Air America and ignoring calls from Louis CK because of it, I'm speculating. Now Louis's 'star' is rising so to speak, and he is genuinely too busy to maintain a friendship that has lost it's moorings. I did detect some venom in the comment Marc made after signing off in part two of that interview, regarding his attempts to email Louis without response(which Louis said would happen), and then a follow up phone call without much to say. 'Time changes locks on a lot of doors', thank you Ron Hawkins. I think Marc is genuinely insecure and neurotic, he does admit as much...he needs to calm the f*** down and be ok with himself and his flaws. I guess that is what I like the most, no pre-tense of perfection...the warts and all approach helps me like him. He seems to be haemorrhaging on the air one minute and then the next, when focused on the interview, really interesting conversations occur. I have found the interviews in general to be compelling...except that one guy whose contempt/hatred for women set off a few FOT in this thread...Patrice O'Neal, I tried to listen too it, never got through the whole thing. I hope you have recovered since then Chris L!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »

No, no argument from me at all, and an admission of unfairness on my part.  I really do see this  as Maron's m.o.: He's been lucky (or tenacious) to have a built a nearly 30-year career with very little main-stream or even critical success/praise, and this in turn has given him access to a lot of comedians--hence the workshop nature of the show at times.  No one but a friend could have pulled that out of Louis CK, just as no one but Maron could have gotten Mencia to have had such a public meltdown (again, Maron's m.o.--he garners trust, gets you to open up, and he's a respected lifer, so he must be alright, right?). 

I'm saying he obliterates any semblance of good will, sentimentality, or endearment when he acts like a petulant child.  He's seemingly unhappy with what he clearly views as his 'consolation' prize of a very well liked (I never miss an interview of his--never), well-respected, and popular podcast.  Jesse Thorne seems quite pleased with himself on this front, and kudos to him. 

If Maron had a fraction of Thorne's non-invasive attitude during his interviews, he'd literally be the best in the game.  Literally. 

Instead we get a turd sandwich. With Louis CK's interview we get a guy pouring his heart out, simply to be asked if people are 'really like this?', and made to defend his success. 

I'm not even mentioning the broken drum that is his neuroses, basically creepy view of women, or his "shocking" take on race--those things are too obvious to even dissect. 

In spite of this invective, if he charged for this podcast, I would pay for it, as it gets a reaction from me every single time.  I actively look forward to each episode. 

Same way I look forward to eating a jalapeno pepper every morning, right after my cold shower--that way I know the worst part of the day is over. 

But, your point about fairness is exactly right on.  This guys sorta brings out the mean in me. 

YET I CAN'T QUIT HIM....

I understand your reaction to what Maron does, but it's this kind of reaction and the finger-pointing that comes from it that is the reason that Marc is about the only person I can think of that has the balls to express these things about himself.  Especially the whole thing about what a "creep" he is about race and relationships with women.  He puts something that exists within all of us, that we are totally ashamed of, and shines a light on it, not by pointing it out in others, but my admitting to it within himself.  That's about as courageous as it gets.  And to simply label him a creep and claiming to never have such thoughts is dishonest and probably projecting. Assuming you're not perfect, which, not knowing you, I can't claim to know if you are. Maybe you are.
By the way, when I say, "you" I don't mean You, Ike, I'm talking to everyone who shares these criticisms of Marc's work.

And the notion that a Jesse Thorn approach (nothing at all against Jesse Thorn) would have produced nearly as fascinating a conversation is ludicrous.  Maron is the only person capable of creating this kind of listening experience, and it's why this podcast is a rebirth for him.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »

And the notion that a Jesse Thorn approach (nothing at all against Jesse Thorn) would have produced nearly as fascinating a conversation is ludicrous.  Maron is the only person capable of creating this kind of listening experience, and it's why this podcast is a rebirth for him.

No, no--that's the only thing I object in your post!  I wasn't suggesting that at all (quite the opposite), but only suggesting Maron could use some of his humility, or at least the ability to separate himself from his interviews--that is all. 

I have to admit, too, that it would probably help if I actually enjoyed his comedy. 

But, again, bottom line for me is pretty much whole-heartedly agreeing.  I just don't like how he gets there. 

I couldn't be less perfect if I tried!  I'm having a lifelong love affair with imperfection, in fact. 

Ike
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I listen to every WTF episode, and am generally glad that I do. But his narcissism can get wearying. That's why I liked him on Air America's "Morning Sedition" show. Back when he was obligated to devote some attention to politics, Marc Maron was forced to pay a little less attention to the topic of Marc Maron. And I also found it compelling that he sometimes struggled with his own feelings about certain political topics ... his willingness to politically question himself on-air made him more interesting than Al Franken and most of the other hosts on that network (I'm glad Franken's in the Senate now, but that doesn't mean his show was any good).

Another good thing about Morning Sedition was the collaborative aspect ... he had some Daily Show people on the writing staff and there were good recurring characters done by folks like Jim Earl and Kent Jones.

As WTF's success grows I'm thinking he can bring in some collaborators or do some stuff to expand the scope of the show. Not necessarily political stuff but I dunno ... SOMETHING to distract himself from the navel-gazing. Granted, he wouldn't be Marc Maron if he weren't at least a little bit introspective ... but I think he can ease up on that stuff a little bit.

(Along the same lines, it'd be cool if he tried to line up some more guests from outside the comedy world. He's got a curious and flexible mind and does a decent job when he occasionally interviews authors and musicians and such ...)
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Mark in Helsinki

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »
I listen to every WTF episode, and am generally glad that I do. .........
(Along the same lines, it'd be cool if he tried to line up some more guests from outside the comedy world. He's got a curious and flexible mind and does a decent job when he occasionally interviews authors and musicians and such ...)

I have almost caught up with all of them (started over the summer)... They're almost all great, some much better than that.

And yes, I'd bet that he will eventually have to find new interviewees other than comedians - especially at the pace of two interviews per week.
"Is this me?"

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »
I say hat's off to Marc. He is doing something that he created in his own image in the way that he wished to do it, and it appears that he has achieved enough success doing it that it has become self-sufficient. Maron's MO has always been a selfish dick that means well but can't get out of his own way, and then he obsesses over his self defeating narcissism. It is kind of a take it or leave it deal, me thinks.

It seems to me that a lot of great comedians that never hit when they probably should have, have all reached this Fugazi moment simultaneously. Maron with WTF, PFT with his 300, Louis with his famed "Louis contract", and all the great new kind of rooms springing up across the country like Acme in Minneapolis, The Laughing Skull in ATL, The Comedy Attic in Bloomington, The UCB's, and all of the concert halls that put up touring comedians. It is a stand-up renaissance.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:33 PM »
I think a true measure of Maron's success as a podcaster is the fact that he's got a 17 page thread of people who listen to his podcast debating all aspects of he and his work.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
I'm listening to the Dana Gould episode now - god is he good.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »

I love that episode. The parts where they crack each other up are great.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »

I love that episode. The parts where they crack each other up are great.

Does Gould do his impression of Adam West trying make it to the bathroom?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #252 on: October 15, 2010, 05:02:47 AM »
Wow, talk about being late to the party. I just discovered this thread. I thought I was the only FOT who thought Maron should be on the Best Show or Tom should be on WTF.
I had been wondering for the past year or so why the 2 of them never cross paths. I had sent Marc an IM when was doing Break Room Live asking if he listened to the Best Show. Flat out he said no. I didn't pursue but for the life of me I could not figure out why he doesn't listen.   Tom was always complimentary of Marc when he would mention him on the air.
When WTF came around I became even more perplexed as Marc would have many of the Best Show guests on his podcast including PFT. I have been a fan of Maron since his Morning Sedition days. I used to go see the live remote broadcasts of the show. I really do think that Marc was inspired by Tom in what he was trying to do with Morning Sedition. I try to catch Marc whenever he plays NYC. Got tickets to his Comix show on Oct 20.

Every week the WTF podcasts just blow me away. The Louie CK interview was just amazing.

Right now I think Tom would do really well to be a guest on WTF. It may help him purge some of the demons he seems to be struggling with. 

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #253 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
My sense is that Tom's disposition is not such that he would be likely to put himself in the path of Marc's on-the-couch style of psychological probing. But I would still love to hear them talk.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:52 AM »
Harold--I just listened to the Louis CK eps and I agree, they're amazing. Especially part 2; Louie talking about seeing his child for the first time was really moving, and talking about how he makes "Louie" pretty much all himself was amazing, and inspiring.

As far as being a guest, I think the biggest obstacle would be Marc's toilet mouth proclivities (not just words, but subjects). I also feel like his narcissistic form of self loathing--which I enjoy, in doses--would be draining for the average length of a Best Show guest spot.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants