Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703668 times)

cas-vik

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #570 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10:23 AM »
I'd always thought Larry Miller was funny, but hadn't really heard him interviewed before this week's WTF. Although personality-wise they are diametrically opposed, he is Slaytonian in his ability to monopolize a conversation, which is no mean feat when talking to Maron. I really enjoyed the episode.

I never really knew Larry Miller's stand up but I really enjoyed the episode.  Particularly the brief tangent in which Miller revealed that Milton Berle could take any man down with a single knuckle.

I wonder when Maron will get around to posting the recent live shows at the Bell House with Scharpling and Jon Benjamin and other folks?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #571 on: June 28, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
He was really good as a 2-time villain on Law & Order.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #572 on: June 28, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
I'd always thought Larry Miller was funny, but hadn't really heard him interviewed before this week's WTF. Although personality-wise they are diametrically opposed, he is Slaytonian in his ability to monopolize a conversation, which is no mean feat when talking to Maron. I really enjoyed the episode.

The only other time I've seen him talk outside of any of his standup was on "The Green Room w/ Paul Provenza", and he reminded me there why I'd enjoyed his stuff so much back in the 90's when I first saw him on Comedy Central when it used to run stand up stuff like they were music videos.
He was making a point about how stand up comedy in it's current form is another of the true American art forms, due mainly to the fact that there is an inborn respect for the right to speak our mind.  He said something like:
"Imagine a guy in 1930's Spain getting up on a stage and saying 'You know what I really think...?'".
Dude is sharp.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #573 on: June 29, 2011, 06:02:09 PM »

The only other time I've seen him talk outside of any of his standup was on "The Green Room w/ Paul Provenza", and he reminded me there why I'd enjoyed his stuff so much back in the 90's when I first saw him on Comedy Central when it used to run stand up stuff like they were music videos.
He was making a point about how stand up comedy in it's current form is another of the true American art forms, due mainly to the fact that there is an inborn respect for the right to speak our mind.  He said something like:
"Imagine a guy in 1930's Spain getting up on a stage and saying 'You know what I really think...?'".
Dude is sharp.

Wow, that's a great way to put it. I didn't know anything about Larry Miller as a comic going into the show, but his presence on mic was impressive and he has a really nice way of looking at things. I was also impressed at his ability to steer the entire conversation away from Marc's typical talking about himself/interjecting (not that that's a bad thing, but still, the relative lack of that aspect of the show really lent itself to this interview in particular).

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #574 on: June 30, 2011, 12:25:48 AM »

His attitude towards the guys who mugged him was both completely insane yet oddly logical I certainly get where he was coming from, but I'm still not sure I really get it.

meamsean

• Policemans heel
« Reply #575 on: June 30, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »
A hoodlum broke into my apartment this past friday night and hit me in the face (don't worry I'm ok). I listened to the Larry Miller episode that day and all I could think about on the way to the hospital was, "Wow, Larry Miller was right. I'm just glad the guy hit me once to make his escape, and didn't do something more sadistic and hurt me really badly". Odd thought indeed, but I honestly had it too.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #576 on: June 30, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
A hoodlum broke into my apartment this past friday night and hit me in the face (don't worry I'm ok). I listened to the Larry Miller episode that day and all I could think about on the way to the hospital was, "Wow, Larry Miller was right. I'm just glad the guy hit me once to make his escape, and didn't do something more sadistic and hurt me really badly". Odd thought indeed, but I honestly had it too.

Scary!  Glad you're ok!
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #577 on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:29 AM »
For someone like me, who is by absolutely no means a comedy nerd, The Best Show has become an access point to a lot of comedians I would never have heard of otherwise. Of all the related shows and podcasts etc I have checked out as a result, my favourite thing (move over Delocated) has become the WTF podcast.

I'm still back in Feb/March, listening to Bobby Lee, PFT, Gallagher, Dave Foley, etc and some of these podcasts are pure gold. I'm hooked

Thanks, Best Show!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #578 on: July 06, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »
Maron's one of the top three four interviewers in radio/podcastdom!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #579 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
That Nick Thune interview was really something else.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #580 on: July 06, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
At this rate, I should get to it by about mid-Sept!

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #581 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »
Maron's one of the top three four interviewers in radio/podcastdom!

Couldn't get that one in a little sooner, Dave?

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #582 on: July 07, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »
The Todd Hanson ep is one of my favorites so far. I don't want to ruin it for anyone but the second half is one of the most moving stories about the extremes of depression I have ever heard.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #583 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »
Agreed. I don't want to spoil either, but I couldn't help thinking while listening of another famous writer who was in a similar situation (though things came out a little differently for him - again, mentioning his name would spoil it). It's already become one of my favorite episodes.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #584 on: July 08, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
Agreed x2.  Todd seems like such a (sad) sweetheart of a guy.

I liked Marc's special mention of The Onion article about Starbucks, i've always loved that one. 

http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbucks-to-begin-sinister-phase-two-of-operation,416/