Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703574 times)

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #645 on: October 25, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
Carrot Top on tomorrow's episode! That'll be...something.

Holy shit, was that guy CT's opener or PR Agent? Jesus. And the way he kept interrupting? My lord. Maron must have wanted to throttle him.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #646 on: October 25, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »

Holy shit, was that guy CT's opener or PR Agent? Jesus. And the way he kept interrupting? My lord. Maron must have wanted to throttle him.
I really like Maron's show, this episode was not great...it would have been better to do one on one. I get the feeling, Scott didn't want that to happen. I thought the Norm MacDonald interview was great. 

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #647 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »
This could've been a really great interview, but the incredibly irritating opener/toady (who was obviously there to run interference) really ruined any chances of that.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #648 on: October 25, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »
Haven't listened to that episode yet, but I did read this in his email newsletter this week -

It was as homey as you’d think Carrot Top’s house would be. I wish we were alone. I think he would talked more candidly but that wasn’t an option.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #649 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »

I can now safely say I like Carrot Top more than Dane Cook.  I don't believe that he hasn't had any face work done, but there was far less of a guard up with 'Top than there was with DC.  At least he's fully aware of where he stands.  He knows who his stuff is for and what it's all about, and doesn't try to pretend that what he's doing is anything other than what it actually is. 
And I for one would  love to see him show up on a late night show in a suit with a new haircut and do a straight stand up set just to mess with people.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #650 on: October 25, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »
To be fair, it sounded to me like that hanger-on had pretty much been a partner/contributor/benevolent parasite to Scott throughout his whole career. The few times he risked losing his grip on his free ride and broke contact with Carrot Top's ass, he actually told a few interesting anecdotes.

Getting Maron's history with him up front and hearing their conversation in the car certainly gives a different perspective on where you can end up when you live with less integrity (and business acumen) than Gallagher.

I love this show.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #651 on: October 25, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
It's sad when someone as sad as Carrot Top has to have people holding his hand while another comedian does an interview. He could have come out of the interview triumphantly looking like a ''hard working comic'' but instead seemed like a kind of pampered basket case.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #652 on: October 25, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »
For some reason, this:

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #653 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:28 PM »
It's sad when someone as sad as Carrot Top has to have people holding his hand while another comedian does an interview. He could have come out of the interview triumphantly looking like a ''hard working comic'' but instead seemed like a kind of pampered basket case.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this one, but sycophant buddy ruined it. I wonder what Carrot Top was afraid of. I can't recall Marc treating any of his interviewees in a disrespectful manner and unless you come off as a jerk (Gallagher, Mencia) he doesn't really do anything to make his interview subjects look bad. I would think Maron would be a pretty safe show to do for a guy like Carrot Top to do.

Random WTF? thought- One of my dream guests would be Yakov Smirnoff. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I'd love to hear his story.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #654 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this one, but sycophant buddy ruined it. I wonder what Carrot Top was afraid of. I can't recall Marc treating any of his interviewees in a disrespectful manner and unless you come off as a jerk (Gallagher, Mencia) he doesn't really do anything to make his interview subjects look bad. I would think Maron would be a pretty safe show to do for a guy like Carrot Top to do.

I don't know if Carrot Top listens to WTF, but considering the amount of shit he's taken over the years, I can't say I blame the guy for being cautious when going into such an interview setting. Maron doesn't have the cache to lock the toady in a room like Stern did.

As for dream guests, these are all pretty unlikely, but Steve Martin, Larry David, or (especially) Albert Brooks would be pretty great.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #655 on: October 25, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
Also, it makes me really sad that he was never able to get Robert Schimmel into the garage.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #656 on: October 26, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »
Random WTF? thought- One of my dream guests would be Yakov Smirnoff. I'm not a fan of the guy, but I'd love to hear his story.
Agreed.  He is so separate from the community of comics though I don't know if he'd be interested or if he and Marc would have any common ground.

This episode made me feel sad for Carrot Top and his sycophant. 
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #657 on: October 26, 2011, 01:07:17 AM »
Would love to see Maron interview David Lynch

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #658 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
Would love to see Maron interview David Lynch

Absolutely. I think some great stuff could come out of that.

Unfortunately my opinion of David Lynch was permanently damaged when I saw the documentary David Wants to Fly last year. It was made by a young (and himself quite odd) German guy, an aspiring director who's also a Lynch obsessive. He gets interested in transcendental meditation because of DL's promotion of it and the film is an exploration of the world of TM. The director becomes increasingly aware of the TM movement's long history of hucksterism of, and manages to interview Lynch in three separate, increasingly confrontational, sessions... by the end Lynch comes off as a pampered ass who is willfully blind to the insanity of the movement he supports. It's a rather incredible film.

David Wants to Fly trailer_english.m4v

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #659 on: October 26, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
Lynch is my single greatest artistic figure of inspiration, but way back in Twin Peaks days when he was talking about how much he loved Reagan, I came to terms with the fact that this is one guy who just isn't very worldly-wise.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau