Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650466 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
I've been "acquiring" the audio version of The Economist every week for some time.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
Comedy and Everything Else
Comedy DeathRay Radio
I Love Movies
Jordan, Jesse GO!
Never Not Funny (freebie)
New Letters on the Air
NPR Fresh Air
NPR Live Concerts from All Songs Considered
NPR StoryCorps
Onion News Network
TSOYA
Radio Chiguiro
Adam Carolla (if I like the guest)
The Bugle
The Geek Show
The Moth
Ricky Gervais
This American Life
The Best Show and the Gems

You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
Current subs:

AST Radio
Comedy Death Ray Radio
Daptone Jukebox
Guardian's Film Weekly
Gilles Peterson Worldwide
The Hour of Truth  8)
I Love Movies
KCRW's Film Reviews
KCRW's The Treatment
Mark Kermode Film Reviews
Never Not Funny (Primo)
Fresh Air
On the Media
The Onion Radio News
TSOYA
Slate's Culture Gabfest
Slate's Political Gabfest
Stones Throw Podcast
Best Show Gems
Best Show
Prank Patrol
WFMU's Tale of the Twelve
5 Live Football Daily

Plus a bunch of Swedish podcasts of no consequence to yall.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Here's mine, though I gotta kill some, because I don't have time for music anymore

The Bored-Again Christian
The Bugle
Coverville
Jordan Jesse Go (on the chopping block)
KCRW's Le Show (if you speed through the "bits", he highlights some interesting news)
KCRW's Left Right and Center
The Math Factor
Never Not Funny
NPR: All Songs Considered
NPR: All Songs Considered Live Concerts
NPR: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
The Official Lost Podcast
On the Media
Phil Keaggy Podcast
Philosophy Bites
PRI: The Sound of Young America
The Rogue's Gallery (on the chopping block; 4 hours per week of newish prog-rock, with maybe 90 minutes worth hearing)
WFMU's Best Show
WFMU's Best Show Gems
WFMU's Night People (some entertaining moments, and it's got to be nice for the station to be able to fill 4 hours, but these guys, honestly, have about 40 good minutes in them a week. They should be a 6:00 or 7:00 1-hour show; definitely on the block)
WFMU's Seven Second Delay
WFMU's The Dusty Show
WNYC's Radio Lab

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »
Here's mine, though I gotta kill some, because I don't have time for music anymore

WFMU's Night People (some entertaining moments, and it's got to be nice for the station to be able to fill 4 hours, but these guys, honestly, have about 40 good minutes in them a week. They should be a 6:00 or 7:00 1-hour show; definitely on the block)

Yeah, I"ve just about given up on this one too ... has anyone heard Fatty Jubbo's podcast? That's a pretty awesome one.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »
If anyone here likes videogames, I highly recommend the Giant Bomb and A Life Well Wasted podcasts. A Life Well Wasted is sort of like a videogame-oriented version of This American Life, and Giant Bomb is the other side of the spectrum with four ex-Gamespot staff members who are nerds, but not nerdy-nerds that are unbearable to listen to.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »

Yeah, I"ve just about given up on this one too ... has anyone heard Fatty Jubbo's podcast? That's a pretty awesome one.

I gave up on Night People quite awhile ago for this same reason. I like the idea and they seem like good guys, but I couldn't make it through an entire show.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

moonshake

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »

I gave up on Night People quite awhile ago for this same reason. I like the idea and they seem like good guys, but I couldn't make it through an entire show.

I came close to giving up because of the sheer amount of patience the show demands, but I'm glad I stuck with it (and have the time to do it). I've gotten very used to listening to the show on Fridays at work when there isn't a whole lot to do. It feels like the show's found its footing in the last month or two- the last few episodes have been really good.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
I'm done with Comedy and Everything Else

I like those guys but the show was just getting insufferable

Reeleyes

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
I'm done with Comedy and Everything Else

I like those guys but the show was just getting insufferable

I've always found it best when they have a guest. Todd usually makes me laugh but Jimmy seems to be getting less funny by the episode. My wife and I met them in Portland and they were the nicest. They treated us like friends instead of fans so just based on that I still listen but I prefer it when they have a guest. The Patton episode was really great.

todd

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:19 PM »
C&EE is fine when they're joking around but Jimmy Dore's politics are like listening to a high schooler.

I've really been enjoying Jordan, Jesse Go. Though about once an episode I have to pause it to scream at the top of my lungs while Jesse interrupts a funny Jordan bit to go off on his own unfunny one.

Reeleyes

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »
C&EE is fine when they're joking around but Jimmy Dore's politics are like listening to a high schooler.

I've really been enjoying Jordan, Jesse Go. Though about once an episode I have to pause it to scream at the top of my lungs while Jesse interrupts a funny Jordan bit to go off on his own unfunny one.

I agree whole heartedly. Jordan is so funny and Jesse sometimes can riff with him and be funny too but mostly he puts out the fire. I think Jesse is jealous because he knows Jordan is funnier.

todd

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »

I agree whole heartedly. Jordan is so funny and Jesse sometimes can riff with him and be funny too but mostly he puts out the fire. I think Jesse is jealous because he knows Jordan is funnier.

Nah, I think Jesse is a truly good guy and a can be really funny, he's just clunky. I'd be perfectly happy if he'd just stop stepping on Jordan's punchlines or trying to top somethings 5 seconds after the moment has passed.

It's still a really great show, and I think it's one of the very few shows that really captures and analyzes what it's like to be a mid-20's dude who is self-aware enough to know how ridiculous it can be to be a mid-20's dude.

Reeleyes

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »

Nah, I think Jesse is a truly good guy and a can be really funny, he's just clunky. I'd be perfectly happy if he'd just stop stepping on Jordan's punchlines or trying to top somethings 5 seconds after the moment has passed.

It's still a really great show, and I think it's one of the very few shows that really captures and analyzes what it's like to be a mid-20's dude who is self-aware enough to know how ridiculous it can be to be a mid-20's dude.

You hit the nail on the head with the mid 20's thing. I wasn't trying to hate on Jesse. I love TSOYA and JJGO! I just think that Jordan is a funny guy and JJGO! is one of the few places he can really showcase his humor (I don't watch the Fuel channel). They should start a sketch comedy group.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 12:31:52 AM »
Reeleyes - What do I know your icon from?

Anyway, since I'm a leftist nut, I really only listen to Democracy Now (and of course the two Best Show related podcasts) via podcast.