Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650508 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #780 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
Theory of Everything - If you enjoyed Too Much Information and wish Benjamin Walker would go back to the story format, here you go.  Four episodes up so far.  He kind of reminds me of Joe Frank at times and sometimes Ira Glass.  He is his own unique voice to be sure.

Strong agreement on this one - I loved TMI and this show is shaping up to be great, too. Particularly liked the recent 'Cloud' shows.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #781 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Why does Jeff Garlin a) hate everything b) think "big bowl of..." is charming?

I just listened to the Zach G. episode, and the thing I'm most struck by is the dissonance between the cool, jazzy production and the actual show, which features Garlin bellowing and braying at the top of his lungs. (And in that one, at least, blowing smoke up ZG's ass nonstop.)

icepants

• Policemans heel
« Reply #782 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
Theory of Everything - If you enjoyed Too Much Information and wish Benjamin Walker would go back to the story format, here you go.  Four episodes up so far.  He kind of reminds me of Joe Frank at times and sometimes Ira Glass.  He is his own unique voice to be sure.

Strong agreement on this one - I loved TMI and this show is shaping up to be great, too. Particularly liked the recent 'Cloud' shows.

Make sure you check out the archive for TMI, he did a fill in program called "Podcast freeform show" in which he played segments from his favorite podcasts.  This is only available through the archive. 

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #783 on: May 22, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
What's the story on Theory of Everything? Why'd he change the format of TMI??

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #784 on: May 23, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »

Make sure you check out the archive for TMI, he did a fill in program called "Podcast freeform show" in which he played segments from his favorite podcasts.  This is only available through the archive.

Fantastic, thanks for the tip!

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #785 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:20 PM »
This week's CBB made me do a 180 for John Daley. And I mean that in a good way.

too much improv makes me feel ill (in a bad way). Anybody else get this?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #786 on: May 24, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »
I dunno about ill, but when shows like CBB aren't working, or if I'm not in the mood, they sure can be grating. They just are always trying SO hard. When in doubt: do a callback! Louder is funnier!

Tom's embrace of pauses and slowness, and the range of moods that can happen on the Best Show... that stuff really sets it apart from most other comedy shows.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #787 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
My favorite thing about Comedy Bang Bang is it's now a TV show and Reggie Watts is on it. I listen to the podcast for his bit but usually that's it.

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #788 on: May 24, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Does anybody else think Melvyn Bragg is getting really loose? I like it.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #789 on: May 25, 2013, 03:05:51 AM »
I dunno about ill, but when shows like CBB aren't working, or if I'm not in the mood, they sure can be grating. They just are always trying SO hard. When in doubt: do a callback! Louder is funnier!

Tom's embrace of pauses and slowness, and the range of moods that can happen on the Best Show... that stuff really sets it apart from most other comedy shows.

I like that Scott Auckerman guy, he's a calming presence

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #790 on: May 25, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
Oh yes, I like Aukerman too. I think he's brilliant, but the podcast can be too shouty and desperate for me sometimes.

P_MELT

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #791 on: May 25, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
Oh yes, I like Aukerman too. I think he's brilliant, but the podcast can be too shouty and desperate for me sometimes.

I agree, the bits just won't die sometimes, for better or worse. A lot of my favorite CBB moments happened quite a while back, but I still stick around.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #792 on: May 25, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »
Does anybody else think Melvyn Bragg is getting really loose? I like it.
Yes.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #793 on: May 25, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »

I agree, the bits just won't die sometimes, for better or worse. A lot of my favorite CBB moments happened quite a while back, but I still stick around.

Please share your favs.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #794 on: June 02, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
Why does Jeff Garlin a) hate everything b) think "big bowl of..." is charming?

If you think his use of "Big bowl of..." is grating, do not listen to the Tig Notaro episode. He says it at least 5 times, and he does it such a way that it feels shoehorned in, like it's something he's checking off a list.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.