Author Topic: PFT vs. Improv Everywhere  (Read 5086 times)

cutout

• Space Champion!
PFT vs. Improv Everywhere
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:53:33 PM »
I searched and couldn't find a previous discussion of it. Apologies if it's a repost -

http://paulftompkins.com/blog_detail.php?id=46

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: PFT vs. Improv Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing this - I had no idea PFT was blogging!  What an interesting little exhange.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing this - I had no idea PFT was blogging!  What an interesting little exhange.

I saw this earlier - love how PFT keeps stepping down on the "how did you get my email?" thing. So funny.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Emerson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
The IE guy won that round. He rebutted PFT's arguments with class. I enjoy PFT and IE, but the takeaway here is: You can't always defend your visceral dislike of something. Nor should you need to.
"You said it. I didn't."

not that James

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »
I'm not surprised to see this discussed on the FOT forum, and also not surprised to find out that PFT doesn't really dig these dudes either.  There was a "This American Life" segment about I.E. recently (during the "Mind Games" episode) that made me hate Charlie Todd about as much as anybody can hate anyone whom they've never met.  I sat in my car, unable to turn it off, listening to this twisted little snot come up with bizarre, tortured explanations of how psychologically assaulting and harassing innocent people is "art".  He even went so far as to say that in some cases, the "agents" were providing a kind of gift to the people they were exploiting.  To the credit of the producers of the piece, they then interviewed the victims and several of them said "No - I was terrified," or "It was a real blow".  

Yeah, great, now I've got severe emotional damage from a huge public humiliation... THANKS IMPROV EVERYWHERE, WHAT A THOUGHTFUL GIFT!

This dude has absolutely no shame, no humanity.  As I sat there listening to the piece, I kept thinking "I'll bet Tom HATES this dude!"

If you want to hear it, it's at: http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/286.mp3

The Improv Everywhere story is the second "act".

Who knows, could make for a good Wurster call...

not that clay

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
I'm not surprised to see this discussed on the FOT forum, and also not surprised to find out that PFT doesn't really dig these dudes either.  There was a "This American Life" segment about I.E. recently (during the "Mind Games" episode) that made me hate Charlie Todd about as much as anybody can hate anyone whom they've never met.  I sat in my car, unable to turn it off, listening to this twisted little snot come up with bizarre, tortured explanations of how psychologically assaulting and harassing innocent people is "art".  He even went so far as to say that in some cases, the "agents" were providing a kind of gift to the people they were exploiting.  To the credit of the producers of the piece, they then interviewed the victims and several of them said "No - I was terrified," or "It was a real blow".  

Yeah, great, now I've got severe emotional damage from a huge public humiliation... THANKS IMPROV EVERYWHERE, WHAT A THOUGHTFUL GIFT!

This dude has absolutely no shame, no humanity.  As I sat there listening to the piece, I kept thinking "I'll bet Tom HATES this dude!"

If you want to hear it, it's at: http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/286.mp3

The Improv Everywhere story is the second "act".

Who knows, could make for a good Wurster call...

I'm with PFT.

You know what would make a great "prank" to pull on the Improv Everywhere guy? Mike from Manhattan could give him a call just  like the one we heard about on The Mike Show. I'm sure everyone's day would be brightened by that, and if the IE guy doesn't get the "joke" then I guess he's just a sourpuss.

Spoony

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
I heard that This American Life. That kid from Improv Everywhere couldn't have sounded more like a smug, sheltered kid.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
There is great joy in the suffering of the irritating.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
It's worth noting that the TAL episode is years old.

But re-listening made made me wonder, has TAL finally retired Turquoise Hexagon Sun ... or do they still play it every other week?

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »
White hip city kids doing anything in an organized fashion will bug most people.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:28 AM »
White hip city kids doing anything in an organized fashion will bug most people.

It's like what my pops says when he sees a group of rowdy young people being young and rowdy - Why aren't they off somewhere reading Proust?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »

It's like what my pops says when he sees a group of rowdy young people being young and rowdy - Why aren't they off somewhere reading Proust?

He sure was weird about them cookies.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 12:39:12 PM »
I also found the Improv Everywhere people particularly loathsome after the This American Life Episode. The problem is they seem to focus on tormenting 'the little guy', and then deluding themselves that they are somehow bestowing some great gift on the little guy. It's bad enough to crap all over some band that's just trying to do their thing, to then suggest you have given them magical memories to last a lifetime is even worse.

The Yes Men, in contrast, seem to have enough balls to take on more powerful targets (corporations, the gullibility of journalists and corporate media, etc). Also I think the Yes Men's stunts actually often succeed in being funny, which might make me a horrible person, but there you have it.

moonshake

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/slideshow?id=9515785&page=7

That little girl's too stupid to realize that IE just made her day!
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Pat K

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
The parents of that guy in the last photo must be so proud.  Could that slideshow make it any more clear? Is anybody smiling in any of those photos? Does anybody's body language suggest that they are enjoying what is happening?

I propose that Improv Everywhere change their name to Improve Everywhere, and instead of getting together to brighten people's days by being obnoxious and creepy, they get together and brighten people's days by working in a soup kitchen for a day, or collecting warm clothes for poor people, or picking up litter. Also, they should open up their membership to all races.
I'm warning you with peace and love.