Author Topic: Scharpling, Tompkins, Hamm, Benson - I Love Movies!  (Read 6348 times)

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Scharpling, Tompkins, Hamm, Benson - I Love Movies!
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 03:53:26 PM »
After listening to the sadly Scharpling-free latest episode of I Love Movies, I've come to the conclusion that Martin Starr is probably a huge asshole.

However, Adam Scott seems like a good guy. I also appreciate that he isn't pretending to not know about movies like too many people do when they go on there.

I didn't think Starr came across as assholish. It came across to me as a sort of a bit, and I thought he was funny. Ultimately I don't care whether or not you think he's an asshole, but if you want to give him another chance, listen to his TSOYA appearance.

I have and did like him during that, to be honest. I guess he just rubbed me the wrong way during ILM. Also, the joke of calling his paintball team "The Running Faggots" was pretty lame. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but the "lol gay joke is okay because I'm being ironically homophobic" stuff is not needed.

There is a lot of hipster comedy that goes like, "I'm a jerk, hahaha." A couple of years ago I saw four new local comics in a row do Sarah Silverman's act, with the deadpan mock racism and everything. It's boring. It's like people aren't even trying to be funny anymore, they're just being monsters and expecting you to laugh.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »
After listening to the sadly Scharpling-free latest episode of I Love Movies, I've come to the conclusion that Martin Starr is probably a huge asshole.

However, Adam Scott seems like a good guy. I also appreciate that he isn't pretending to not know about movies like too many people do when they go on there.

I didn't think Starr came across as assholish. It came across to me as a sort of a bit, and I thought he was funny. Ultimately I don't care whether or not you think he's an asshole, but if you want to give him another chance, listen to his TSOYA appearance.

I have and did like him during that, to be honest. I guess he just rubbed me the wrong way during ILM. Also, the joke of calling his paintball team "The Running Faggots" was pretty lame. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but the "lol gay joke is okay because I'm being ironically homophobic" stuff is not needed.

There is a lot of hipster comedy that goes like, "I'm a jerk, hahaha." A couple of years ago I saw four new local comics in a row do Sarah Silverman's act, with the deadpan mock racism and everything. It's boring. It's like people aren't even trying to be funny anymore, they're just being monsters and expecting you to laugh.

Agreed. The 'I said something racist, ha ha ha' thing is pretty played out.

I get the impression Sarah Silverman is quick on her feet and can be funny, but yeah, not always down with the program there.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 10:48:23 PM »

Tom is a comedy pro, too, wkg.

True

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »

Perhaps it's just an affectionate Kids in the Hall reference.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »

I met him at MaxFunCon last year and he seemed pretty nice, just a little dry.

ian

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »

think that is the case, yes

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
Perhaps this is the wrong place for this comment, but I preferred PFT and Tom on the Comedy and Everything Else podcast, some funny stuff there and I've still got almost 2 hours left to go.

todd

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »

i guess that makes Kids in the Hall HATEMONGERS too. woodandiron and i will be picketing if you need us

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
Hate monger #1

If you're looking to be offended, you will succeed.

not that clay

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:03 PM »
Perhaps this is the wrong place for this comment, but I preferred PFT and Tom on the Comedy and Everything Else podcast, some funny stuff there and I've still got almost 2 hours left to go.

sparkatus, I've been rewatching NewsRadio reruns lately. Is that where your name is from, how Beth mispronounces Spartacus?

sparkatus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
sparkatus, I've been rewatching NewsRadio reruns lately. Is that where your name is from, how Beth mispronounces Spartacus?

Unfortunately I've not seen that before; any good?

The name comes from me being arbitrarily nicknamed Sparky, and one of the people who first introduced me to TBS drunkenly mispronouncing this. Not very exciting I'm afraid.