Author Topic: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)  (Read 14406 times)

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
Re: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
I'm actually enjoying this season more than last season.  Last night's episode to me was a nice recovery from the bizarre food relay from last week.  I think I'm enjoying it more because the contestants are less annoying on average.  Last season, I found Mike I, Eli, Robin, and Voltaggio the Younger smug and insufferable, which made it harder to watch the show.  Kevin, Jen and Voltaggio the Older were fine.  This current group seem to be more focused on making good food than showing off, and it seems that most of them have spent time in the real world.  At least Angelo vs Kenny is more of a food based disagreement than "You're not my Mom!" from last season.

We'll see though ... it is early, and some super annoying behavior can come out later on.  I'm looking at you, Amanda and Alex.

Oh, and random aside - Kelly totally reminds me of Becky from the original Real World.  I half expect her to say "How am I being racist, Kevin?" at any moment.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 10:13:13 PM »

What makes you say Kenny is a cretin?  He seems no more stupid than most of them.

Truth be told, I just like referring to people as cretins.  In this case, it was a hyperbolic approach to expressing that I am not a big fan of BLACK LIGHTNING.  Now that I think about it, his robe-clad wine sipping was a fun image.  In general, he exudes a 'tude I don't care for.

C'mon, his wife died in a car accident and he raised his daughter by himself! Plus his girlfriend goes by "Juicy".

Trotskie

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »
I thought it was a nice touch inviting Cesar Romero-era Joker to be a guest judge.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »
I thought it was a nice touch inviting Cesar Romero-era Joker to be a guest judge.

And that we get to see the Old Man Orange Hair that has been frightening Tom recently.

mahgeetah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »

What makes you say Kenny is a cretin?  He seems no more stupid than most of them.

Truth be told, I just like referring to people as cretins.  In this case, it was a hyperbolic approach to expressing that I am not a big fan of BLACK LIGHTNING.  Now that I think about it, his robe-clad wine sipping was a fun image.  In general, he exudes a 'tude I don't care for.

C'mon, his wife died in a car accident and he raised his daughter by himself! Plus his girlfriend goes by "Juicy".

That doesn't give him a pass to go around describing himself as "The Alpha Male." That's one of the fastest paths to Reality Show villainhood.
I'm in my late 50's.

Sarah

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
I can't stand self-described alpha males.  Seems to me a real alpha male shouldn't need to say he's one. 

Sarah

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
Bored, bored, bored.  Is it the show's fault?  Or mine?

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »
Bored, bored, bored.  Is it the show's fault?  Or mine?

This was probably the best episode of the season, but still pretty much a snooze.

Have you seen the first two installments of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle?  I enjoyed both, and Conant is actually a good host.  Aside from Marcus Samuelsson in Episode 2, I don't really care for any of the other judges (Geoffrey Zakarian, a woman I've seen on Iron Chef America many times, some food blogger I've seen before), but so it goes. 
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Sarah

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
Yes, I've been watching it (and very much enjoyed Conant's delight in Nonna's cooking during the battle of the Italian restaurants last night).  It's "Restaurant Wars" meets Last Restaurant Standing, and I am certainly finding it more entertaining than Top Chef these days. 

About Top Chef, I'm hoping from here on out it will improve.  Not because all the dead weight is gone, for it surely is not, but because, with fewer contestants, more attention can be focused on the food.

Work of Art talk below; highlight to view.

[Work of Art was, as usual, more fun, though not as good as some episodes.  People were surprisingly stymied by the challenge (one that reminded me of that late challenge in Top Chef Masters:  cook a first course that shows how you started, a second that shows where you are, and a third that shows where you hope to be).  For supposed artistes, they seem to have little imagination.  Maybe they're just constipated by their need to impress. 

As to the results, I was not wowed by Peregrine's piece (I preferred Nicole's), but it was certainly one of the better efforts.  Miles definitely cheated.  Mark was workmanlike, as usual.  Abdi's paralysis was unexpected.  Jacqui was pathetic, especially when she randomly threw in pipe cleaners and pom-poms because Simon liked them (at least Miles acknowledged that his rubber-band balls were added in a conscious attempt to bamboozle the judges into thinking his crossword grid had something to do with the challenge; Jacqui, as seems to be her wont, claimed her embellishments sprang from inspiration, not asskissery), and I'm sorry she lived to pout another day.  But, though I will miss Ryan's combination of good nature and snark, he really did deserve to go; he's even more of a one-trick pony than the resident exhibitionist.  Still, I will worry about him:  estranged from his family, apparently a drinker, with only $24 (or less) to his name.  Quite the little Pagliaccio, when you come down to it.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
Perhaps I missed it, but as far as I can recall there were absolutely no Kelly Liken comments aired during last night's EC.  I found it very bizarre that the Quickfire winner with immunity -- and the clear frontrunner -- did not get to offer her take on the competition.  Not sure why the format in which the other cheftestants were the judges meant that the other side of the table had to remain mute aside from Tom's comment that they were nuts not to detect sufficient acidity in what was eventually named the winning dish. (I like Kevin, and I think this win could be a turning point for him.  I also think the near-elimination may get Kenny to drop the Alpha Male s-hit.)

Then again, these days, nothing is really that bizarre on TC.  The show has gone completely off the rails.  Speaking of rails, I think I'll go do some right now.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Sarah

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »
Well, don't bogart 'em, son.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »
Can we please keep the Work of Art spoilers to a minimum in the Top Chef thread? I haven't seen the latest installment of WoA yet, but I did catch the latest Top Chef. For some reason it takes forever (ie a couple of days) for new WoA episodes to show up online; Top Chef is available almost immediately after it's aired. Matter of popularity, I'm guessing.

Sarah

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
Sorry, Martin.  I'll be careful in future.  And I've camouflaged my comments above just in case someone else comes along who hasn't seen last night's show yet.

Sarah

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
The most exciting thing about the latest episode was Bozzi's lightshow tie.

I also liked that Angelo's lobster foam looked a lot like the scum you can sometimes see on the ocean.  Very appetizing.

I do wish everyone would stop bashing Amanda's food:  whatever you think about her personality, she obviously makes some pretty edible dishes.

And, Ed?  Big lobsters are way easier to pick than small ones.

Sarah

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
Sorry, Omar!