Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947317 times)

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #555 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:52 PM »
I am enjoying Richard Wright's Black Boy. It's very good. It is also interesting to read it and for me to think, "I can see how this influenced Native Son."

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #556 on: December 21, 2008, 03:24:57 PM »
in addition to the stuff i mentioned earlier, i also started the league of extraordinary gentlemen/black dossier thing. slow going, though: i spend way too much time poring over the panels for references that i know i am missing. i am very glad there's an annotated guide online ...

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #557 on: December 21, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
Jimmy McDonough's biography of Neil Young

One of the greatest books EVAH. I must've read it three times.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #558 on: December 21, 2008, 08:54:25 PM »
Just started Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy by Stephen Duncombe.  The author thanks Jason Grote in the acknowledgments, so his every word is suspect.

Hey, that's my buddy.  I love that book.  Sometimes it seems like it doesn't know whether it wants to be an 05/06-type "what progressives should do now" book in the mold of What's The Matter with Kansas or Don't Think of an Elephant and more of an academic theoretical text, but I pretty much agree 100% with the ideas in there, and I appreciate that he keeps the ideas accessible to the average reader.  Not everybody feels up for reading Žižek 100% of the time.

Just finished it. I'm persuaded.  I have reservations about some of the people and organizations mentioned, but not his use of their example. 

Mind if I ask who and why?  I'm just curious -- totally fine if you don't feel like sharing.
Sure.  Critical Mass, for one.  Plenty of people do vital work that requires them to be punctual.  What if a home health care provider needs to give someone medication on the hour, but can't because of a CM ride?  Or working people who just need to be on time?  Disrupting these people's lives doesn't seem ethical to me, and I wouldn't want an entity whose aims and values I share to be the guilty party.  These are misgivings I have, not a blanket condemnation. 

Rev. Billy has an air of sanctimony, even as he mocks it. More power to the guy if it's working.

The last example is Michael Moore , but with him I'm doing what Duncombe is arguing against.  The emotional arguments that I'm suspicious of are a big part of his appeal.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #559 on: December 26, 2008, 04:41:24 PM »
As a fan of end-of-the-world literature, Earth Abides by George Stewart has been on my radar for a long time.  I stayed up until 4 am last night reading it, and woke up and didn't get out of bed until finishing it.  So I'd say it's pretty good.

(I wish I had that edition.)

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #560 on: December 26, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
I got DeLillo's Underworld for Christmas, and holy s-hit that thing is a brick. I had no idea.

I'll probably finish it in 2010. Check in with you then.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #561 on: December 26, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
I got DeLillo's Underworld for Christmas, and holy s-hit that thing is a brick. I had no idea.

I'll probably finish it in 2010. Check in with you then.

Have you read 'White Noise'?  Probly a better starting point w/ DeLillo....

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #562 on: December 26, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
Yeah, I've read White Noise (loved it), and Falling Man, so I'm very excited to get more into his stuff.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #563 on: December 26, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
Yeah, I've read White Noise (loved it), and Falling Man, so I'm very excited to get more into his stuff.

Libra is my favorite.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #564 on: December 26, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
I own that! Says a lot about my terrible reading habits that it's been sitting on the shelf for at least a year.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #565 on: December 26, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
DeLillo kind of annoys me, and Underworld wasn't as good as all the hype it got upon release, but the prologue is amazing.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #566 on: December 26, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »
i have actually thrown copies of "white noise" and "mao ii" across the room. some of the most dreadfully (self-) serious writing i have ever attempted to read.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #567 on: December 28, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
For me: just started Roberto Bolaño's The Savage Detectives and am totally digging it.

I started this a couple nights ago; it is pretty awesome. The section where Garcia Madero wonders through the Fonts' house in the dark and eats all their food is AMAZING.

Gets a little smutty from there on, but in a good way.

Yes!  I just read that same passage.  This is like an accidental book club! 

That belongs on a "move titles I don't want to see" thread: "The Accidental Book Club."

I just got 2666 for Xmas. Am looking forward to reading it.

There's a UK tv series called "The Book Group" that's really very good.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #568 on: December 28, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
I am enjoying Richard Wright's Black Boy.

Hey, I just found out there's a book by this name, too!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #569 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I am enjoying Richard Wright's Black Boy.

Hey, I just found out there's a book by this name, too!

Hay-O!

Thanks, Humor Buddy!