Author Topic: In praise of the puppet  (Read 7774 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
In praise of the puppet
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
Yesterday, I sat listening to Wally Wackiman's call from Tuesday's show.  I was admittedly distracted, taking in the conversation but also doing some mundane work for my 9-to-5 job.  As the call progressed, I found myself thinking the following types of thoughts - ones that I know many of you have experienced when listening to Wally's calls:

• "He is so stressed out that it's making me uncomfortable."
  • "God, he is seriously defensive."
  • "He claims to be nice but he clearly has anger issues, lashing out at other callers regularly."
  • "He never says anything even remotely clever or funny."

But then I had the "other thought"...the thought that interrupts all previous thoughts; the thought that flips all of the other thoughts on their ear: "This is a puppet."

I suddenly find myself embarrassed that I held all of those previous opinions...or any opinion on the subject at all.  Why am I getting mad about a puppet?  And who am I getting mad at?  Who is not funny? Who is defensive?  The puppet or the puppeteer? I get the sense that the puppeteer has all of these issues, but if it is indeed the puppeteer who is really unfunny and defensive, wouldn't he have left this game a long time ago?  The pure tenacity has me thinking that there is a lot more going on there.  And isn't the tenacity in and of itself funny?  All of these profound questions about actions and agency...inspired by a puppet! The mind reels. It happens every time I hear him on the air.  The moment I begin to judge Wally, I am forced instead to judge myself.

Let me go further. The only other showbiz personality I can think of who so successfully confused and frustrated people was Andy Kaufman.  That's right, I just compared Wally Wackiman to Andy Kaufman. And I will stand by that.  Would anyone argue that Andy said funny things when dressed as Tony Clifton or that his comments cracked us up when he went on his pro wrestling bender?  I doubt it.  What was funny was the tenacity and the absurdity, not any particular statement or pratfall. And like Wally, he always left me wondering; was the anger real or part of the gag. Much of the genius lay in his blurring of the line between performer and performance. 

Other than the fact that his existence forces us to address difficult epistemological questions, consider some other points in Wally's favor:
  • Has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium is the radio? What a wonderfully stupid idea.
  • Unlike "Meet the Feebles" and "Avenue Q," Wally is subtle in his challenge to our preconceptions of puppetdom.  He is a neurotic, defensive puppet who never says anything "traditionally" funny...and does not hang out with any other puppets! How grim.
  • His location on Twitter is listed as "The bag."  Not only is that the best location listed on Twitter, but it is rather existential for a purple puppet with Looney Tunes-like circles around his head.

So to Wally's detractors I say "have at it."  Detract away as is your right.  But please consider the points above, many of which we are all aware, but perhaps we do not revisit quite enough.

Maybe, just maybe, if the Apple "Think Different" advertisement is updated for 2011, in between shots of Einstein and Picasso, there will be a few seconds of footage of a purple puppet, turning towards the camera in slow motion, his eye falling out in the process.

Have a good weekend.

-Jon
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
Re: In praise of the puppet
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »
If Wally's personality is purposely calculated to get the reactions it gets, then Zach is a genius.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »

• Has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium is the radio? What a wonderfully stupid idea.

Well, Charlie McCarthy was a star on old-timey radio but your defense of Wally will hopefully put to rest the Great Feltdown.

I'm a FOWW
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:33:54 PM »
Well said. 
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
I'd like to agree with you but I suggest you reread MiddleBro's posts. It seems like that user and Wally have very similar attitudes towards criticism. Also even if it is the puppets personality, it isn't very funny.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »

Well, Charlie McCarthy was a star on old-timey radio...

Fair enough. But McCarthy also had a Vaudeville act and appeared in films which justified the puppetry. As far as I know, Wally has no outlets that show him moving other than his cameo in "Fantasia in Best Show Minor."

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
If Wally's personality is purposely calculated to get the reactions it gets, then Zach is a genius.

We all know it's not which is where Jon's thesis falls to pieces.
See God, Kai

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I hate this thesis to pieces!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Clearly not "all."  I did not.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
Wally could be a descendent of Telly, the neurotic Sesame Street muppet.

JRN

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
As I've mentioned elsewhere, one of the first full episodes of the Best Show I ever listened to, and the one that really sold me on the program, featured Wally Wackiman as an in-studio guest. Not knowing much about the show at the time, I saw a puppet mentioned in the episode description and figured it would be somebody doing some kind of "foul-mouthed puppet" routine--i.e. going the obvious route of a thing associated with children saying and/or doing inappropriate things.

Imagine my surprise when Wally, a purple puppet with a funny voice and the last name "Wacky Man", was actually playing a mild-mannered straight man. I thought that was such a funny idea, particularly since, as Jon mentioned, this was a puppet on the radio, of all things. I was instantly a fan.

So while I too cringed at the call last Tuesday, I do sympathize with the Z-Man in that I'm sometimes perplexed by the particular type of razzing that Wally gets. Some of it does seem kinda mean-spirited, which strikes me as a totally odd reaction to have to such a good-natured character.

In short, I appreciate Wally a lot. I hope he can get past this unfortunate slump, shrug off the critics, and get back to being funny.
I got you stuck off the realness
We be the infamous
You heard of us
Official Newbridge murderers

Kid Pain

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
  Would anyone argue that Andy said funny things when dressed as Tony Clifton or that his comments cracked us up when he went on his pro wrestling bender?  I doubt it. 

Andy Kaufman - I'm From Hollywood Clip

Racan

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »
The character just seems so slimy and self-serving, which I seriously hope is part of the act. Anytime I hear him call in I just think he's doing it for himself, and not the desire to actually contribute anything interesting to the program. I could totally be wrong, and obviously this debate is blurring the line between man and Wackiman, but has he ever been on the line with one of Tom's guests and not just shamelessly plugged himself? I'm sad to say that for me it really reeks of desperation, though this is how I feel several of the regular callers. Tom kind of nailed it when he lamented a while back that the Best Show had almost become a warped version of taking attendance.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »

Clearly not "all."  I did not.

Well, I thought that went without saying, Jon. I just think you're giving Wally more credit than it deserves. You felt sorry for the puppet and went to great lengths to defend it. That's because you're a good guy. And Zach's a good guy, too, but his alter ego may be getting the best of him. The attention he was getting through The Best Show went to his head. He forgot the Best Show Golden Rule: it's Tom's show. That's why the ban came about in the first place. Certain callers felt obliged to call in every week to bask in the limelight of their regular caller status whether they had something interesting to contribute or not. It became a drag on the show. Of course this doesn't mean Tom and I don't appreciate the regular callers. I can honestly say that everyone I've met through the show has been great (including the puppet, whose nonexistent balls I do so enjoy busting). I think Tom gave the puppet great advice last Tues. (particularly the part about smoking a joint) and if it heeds it, I think it will continue to be a part of the show. But if it doesn't, there's always the fate of Captain Jack. Anyone miss him (well, I do a little because I like a little terror with my comedy)?
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
Tom connecting Captain J___ and Kid Kansas and then playing the song ranks in the top 5 moments in the history of the Best Show.  Still, I'm glad he's gone.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!