Author Topic: Underrated Best Show Strengths  (Read 22776 times)

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Underrated Best Show Strengths
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »
  • Tom's Cal Ripken-like (seems apropos) consistency. He's done a ton of long shows for more than a decade and rarely takes a night off.  Lesser folks would have bagged this gig long ago.
  • Echo the impersonations.  The Trumps (senior and junior) have been killing me lately.  He had an impromptu Seinfeld one from a couple of years ago that remains a personal highlight for me.
  • AP Mike is an underrated strength.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
The multiple takes on a bit - the many repetitions of Mickey Dolenz' namaste/MYAH and the line from Clifford, two different iterations of multiple people having the same voice (Shawn/Shane, Big Bill/Little Bill/Mr. Sherbert).
Big Bill/Little Bill/Mr. Sherbert is still my favorite anything from the show, it hurts me with joy.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
Another thing:

S&W bits are spiritually related to Chris Elliott's bits on Letterman.

Tom & Jon had discussed their love of Chris in bringing them together; also, in Chris's appearance last year, Tom mentioned how he loved that all Chris characters are always "burning through clout they really don't have." I can't think of a better way to describe many of the Newbridge characters.

Finally, while watching some old Chris Elliott bits on YouTube last week, I caught a moment where Chris puts down Letterman by calling him "Foster Brooks."
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

betheboy

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
Another small touch that never fails to make me laugh:

Tom slightly changing the pronunciation of someone's name a la: Adam Carolo or last night's Christina Aguilero.

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »

Tom slightly changing the pronunciation of someone's name a la: Adam Carolo or last night's Christina Aguilero.
Magic Johnston

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »

Magic Johnston

My all-time favorite: Evan "Funk" Davis.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
Shoot, I've heard it a million times and I still love to hear "Funzie."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
Wurster's references to Idi Amin.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »

Magic Johnston
I especially like these when he does it, then decides that he's going to try to get a caller to agree that this is how the name is pronounced, and you can hear a brief pause where the caller is either no longer sure how to say it, didn't know who the person was in the first place or knows but can't decide whether to correct him.

"Just like Magic Johnston."
"I-"
"Like Magic Johnston, right?"
"...yeah."
This may be the year I will disappear.

Ben from Boston

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »
I always like it when Wurster suggests that Tom "should wiki it" or says anything to the effect of "yeah, you can wiki that"

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »
Spike consistently inconsistent for 7 plus years.   

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
I want to re-point out the HervĂ© Villechaize impression from this week's show.  Who would do an Villechaize impression in 2012, much less characterize him as such a brutal villain?  I replayed that part three times and couldn't stop laughing.

I think it's great that so many younger people listen to a show that's so full of references to 70s sitcoms.  Yer gettin' yer histry lessons right chere, Junior.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
I want to re-point out the HervĂ© Villechaize impression from this week's show.  Who would do an Villechaize impression in 2012, much less characterize him as such a brutal villain?  I replayed that part three times and couldn't stop laughing.

I think it's great that so many younger people listen to a show that's so full of references to 70s sitcoms.  Yer gettin' yer histry lessons right chere, Junior.

I'm 22 and most of my friends and I grew up on 70's sitcoms anyway because of Nick at Nite.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
Hey! Fantasy Island was no sitcom! Show some respect!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau