Author Topic: SCHARPLING & WURSTER BOX! 16 CDs 108 PAGE HARDCOVER BOOK! SO MUCH MORE!!  (Read 29693 times)

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
Re: SCHARPLING & WURSTER BOX! 16 CDs 108 PAGE HARDCOVER BOOK! SO MUCH MORE!!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
Yeah, I kind of see this as an anthology of the entire run of The Best Show (on WFMU) whereas the Sterolaff CDs were assembled and released as the show went on. I suppose you could argue that the Stereolaffs CDs are already "best of" collections, but I wonder if any of the repeat calls won't be edited down like some of them are on the original CDs.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
Yeah, I kind of see this as an anthology of the entire run of The Best Show (on WFMU) whereas the Sterolaff CDs were assembled and released as the show went on. I suppose you could argue that the Stereolaffs CDs are already "best of" collections, but I wonder if any of the repeat calls won't be edited down like some of them are on the original CDs.

I'll take "edited" if you want to bet on it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
Yeah, if they're trying to fit as much stuff as possible onto 16 CDs, they'll have to trim a bit. Not to mention a USB drive with 4 MORE HOURS of stuff. They're giving a lot away for that amount of money, edited or not.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »
Box Set:

Calls that previously appeared on the Stereolaffs CDs have already been edited from their original broadcast airings, so those appear as-is on the box.

All previously not-comped calls were edited to various degrees to tighten up the pacing and free up space for more calls.

In a couple of cases, a track on the box set is an excerpt from a much longer call (ZB's song to unite America and the Archie Bunker's Place riff from the Rick DeBetto call).
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

timmx

• Policemans heel
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:28 PM »
Oh, editing is a much better idea. I thought they were all being rerecorded at morning zoo pace.

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
Box Set:

Calls that previously appeared on the Stereolaffs CDs have already been edited from their original broadcast airings, so those appear as-is on the box.

All previously not-comped calls were edited to various degrees to tighten up the pacing and free up space for more calls.

In a couple of cases, a track on the box set is an excerpt from a much longer call (ZB's song to unite America and the Archie Bunker's Place riff from the Rick DeBetto call).

That's a shame about the DeBetto call. I miss hearing him describe that moozarella.
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT

pnuts

• Policemans heel
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
The Numero Group writeup mentions that "(over 50 of them previously unreleased or unaired)" which confuses me. Does "unreleased" mean "not on the Stereolaffs CDs"? I'd expect that everything (except perhaps some random new material recorded in the last year to spice things up) would have been previously aired.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
I have mentioned it in a couple of places, but I don't know the provenance of "Jay and Paul in the Studio," and "The 80's Are Back" is not from the Best Show, so those may count as "unaired."

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »
Unreleased is defined as not having previously appeared on a Stereolaffs CD.

joe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
I have mentioned it in a couple of places, but I don't know the provenance of "Jay and Paul in the Studio," and "The 80's Are Back" is not from the Best Show, so those may count as "unaired."

I'm wondering if "Jay and Paul in the Studio" is actually supposed to be "Roy and Paul in the Studio".

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »

I'm wondering if "Jay and Paul in the Studio" is actually supposed to be "Roy and Paul in the Studio".

"Jay and Paul in the Studio" is a pre-The Best Show piece from April 1996.

VealCutlet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »
I am super-psyched about this box set - everything about it looks to be top-notch and what a value!

Does anyone know what impact this might have on the WFMU archives? Will they pull these shows as they did with the shows containing the Stereolaffs-released material? While the calls are the best part of the show, there is so much amazing stuff to be found listening to the shows in their entirety. I hope this doesn't get lost.
That's just the tip of the ice cube.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »

So it predates Rock, Rot and Rule? The history of the Newbridgiverse is blown wide open!

spamheat

• Policemans heel
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:43 AM »

So it predates Rock, Rot and Rule? The history of the Newbridgiverse is blown wide open!

Based on the clip on the Numero Group site it sounds like it was before Tom got the voice modulator.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
Yes, Spam Heat, I believe that that clip is played at a slightly faster speed than "reality."

It is the thing I am most looking forward to on the box set.