Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards  (Read 40459 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
I know for a fact that if my wife hadn't wanted to see it so bad I would have waited and rented it. Mike if you hate Tarantino and decided before hand that you weren't going to like the movie, why did you give him your money? I'm not asking in a smart ass way, just curious.

It's a sort of sickness, I know, but I've always thought Tarantino was one of the most overrated writers/directors around. And the fact that he's the King of the Fanboys and still garners rave reviews from some critics makes it all the more galling. When I read about the feud between Roger Ebert and Armond White over the movie, I thought I'd check it out to see what the fuss was all about.

I'm in a totally weird phase right now where I've always been a sarcastic cynic and generally a hater but I'm trying to be objective and not hate on things just to hate. I used to rip on Tarantino (and most other hipster favs) just because all of my friends liked him and I think on a subconscious level I was just trying to be different. Now as a family man I'm trying to just look at something for what it is not who it came from or why it exists, I'm trying not to judge things by what I think about someone that was involved but by the things themselves... it's hard. It was difficult to watch IG without thinking about what a freak QT was on an episode of Iconoclasts that I saw or how he seemed like a parody of himself in an old Elvis Mitchell interview I saw but I did for the most part and as I said before I was entertained, it wasn't the best movie ever by far, it wasn't even the best Tarantino film but it was omage-ish, violent, and sometimes funny which what I want with a QT film. Sure I've got complaints but I don't think I've ever seen a film that I didn't have complaints about so it was fine. Mike, at least you're honest with yourself about your "sickness", my former self would love to talk movies with you.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

hugman

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
i liked it.
i love watching quentin tarantino's movies (most of the time) and this one was super entertaining.
i will NEVER understand why people think they are supposed to laugh every single time someone gets killed in his movies.

Reeleyes

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2009, 01:39:17 AM »
i liked it.
i love watching quentin tarantino's movies (most of the time) and this one was super entertaining.
i will NEVER understand why people think they are supposed to laugh every single time someone gets killed in his movies.

I did laugh when Donnie Donewitz said "Rosebud" befor he quitely slipped away but I think that one was intended to be funny.

hugman

« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:48 AM »
i liked it.

I did laugh when Donnie Donewitz shot up Hitler's dead face but I think that one was intended to be funny.

There are some that are so comical or ridiculous that you laugh but there are always ones where I don't see what people are laughing at.
Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
i liked it.

I did laugh when Donnie Donewitz shot up Hitler's dead face but I think that one was intended to be funny.

There are some that are so comical or ridiculous that you laugh but there are always ones where I don't see what people are laughing at.
Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!

no shit...thanks, Reeleyes.   ::)

Reeleyes

« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
i liked it.

I did laugh when Donnie Donewitz at jelly donuts until he exploded but I think that one was intended to be funny.

Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!

I thought this was a thread for people who've seen it. If you've gotten this far in the thread then I think the movie has been thouroughly spoiled. Mike gave the chapter breakdown for christ's sake. I'll delete my comments for the people who haven't seen it.

todd

« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »
i liked it.

I did laugh when Donnie Donewitz at jelly donuts until he exploded but I think that one was intended to be funny.

Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!

I thought this was a thread for people who've seen it. If you've gotten this far in the thread then I think the movie has been thouroughly spoiled. Mike gave the chapter breakdown for christ's sake. I'll delete my comments for the people who haven't seen it.

you're fine man, it's an 11 page thread on the movie. people not expecting spoilers are nuts.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
i liked it.

Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!

i was merely kidding, Reeleyes.  i could care less about this movie.  no harm, no foul.   ;)

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
i liked it.
I'm with hugman. The only Tarantino movie I didn't like was "Death Proof" and I don't even really count that as a real movie. Also, I like Tom Waits. I make a bad FOT.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Reeleyes

« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I've been known to like a few Waits songs. If I made a list of things that I like that aren't popular in the FOT I think Tom would personally come to my house and punch me in the face but I like the show so I won't make that list.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
I've been known to like a few Waits songs. If I made a list of things that I like that aren't popular in the FOT I think Tom would personally come to my house and punch me in the face but I like the show so I won't make that list.

Reel you are being a
Chicken-shit.   

Make your's then I'll make mine.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »

There's a thread in show discussion about disagreeing with Tom.

Like the greatness of baseball.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »

Where? J.

Sounds like a gauntlet kicking up dust.

I like.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

Where? J.

Sounds like a gauntlet kicking up dust.

I like.

Hmm, I'm not finding it.  I know it was somewhere.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
Im eagerly awaiting Mikes thoughts on the movie. Do you think Tom saw it and will discuss it on the show? I really enjoy his movie reviews, he hasnt done one in a while.

I thought it was just another dumb Tarantino movie. Here's how I break it down:

Chapter 1: dumb homage to Once Upon a Time in the West, complete with Ennio Morricone music. Since that movie included a family massacre, Tarantino has to rely on it to stage his family massacre. His imagination can go no further than what he's already seen in other movies.

Chapter 2: It occurred to me during the head bashing scene that this is the perfect analogy for watching a Quentin Tarantino movie. The Brad Pitt character even acknowledges this when he comments, pre-head bashing, that it was the next best thing to going to the movies. And sure enough, as the Eli Roth character starts swinging his bat, the audience began snickering and giggling at the jokey violence, Tarantino's trademark, just like the characters up on screen.

Chapter 3: Who knew that what World War II movies were truly lacking was a critique of German cinema. Why? Because Tarantino knows nothing beyond fucking movies (and he's probably too lazy to do any research to come up with anything historically accurate or interesting). This is why the bulk of the movie takes place in a movie theater and we get little side lectures on the flammability of nitrate film. It also looks like Tarantino has a new goofy obsession: strudel with cream. Get ready to see it in future films with his other goofy obsession: women's feet. Also, must he include that soundtrack music from White Lightning in every one of his movies?! Is it in his contract? It's really getting tired.

Chapter 4: A homage to the big shootout in Pulp Fiction (he's even quoting himself now!) except with Nazis instead of dope dealers. Also, another Mexican standoff which may also be in his contract.

Chapter 5: The grand finale that gets the biggest laugh with Pitt's bad accent (a I Love Lucy homage?). Of course, the whole fantasy of killing Hitler is just absurd to begin with, but Tarantino gives it his all. Was that a Dario Argento homage with the ghostly image in the smoke at the end? Who gives a shit?

As I was leaving the theater, I overheard a discussion among a group of elderly women (the old ladies in Bayonne always come out in droves for the most violent movies--it's a little scary). Anyway, one woman asked the group what they thought of it. Of course, they were all reluctant to admit they might as well have just thrown their $7 in the gutter. One woman said that none of it was true (i.e. the premise was dumb) and another woman said that it was funny. And that's it in a nutshell. Obviously I'm in the minority of people who don't find Tarantino cute and funny. And who am I to argue with a bunch of old ladies who want to have a few laughs watching a Nazi get his head bashed in?

What other film did he use the White Lightning soundtrack in Kill Bill? Anybody know where i could purchase that White Lightning soundtrack?