Author Topic: Inglorious Bastards  (Read 40586 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Inglorious Bastards
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »
The life of James Brown would make a better movie.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »
Im eagerly awaiting Mikes thoughts on the movie. Do you think Tom saw it and will discuss it on the show? I really enjoy his movie reviews, he hasnt done one in a while.

I thought it was just another dumb Tarantino movie. Here's how I break it down:

Chapter 1: dumb homage to Once Upon a Time in the West, complete with Ennio Morricone music. Since that movie included a family massacre, Tarantino has to rely on it to stage his family massacre. His imagination can go no further than what he's already seen in other movies.

Chapter 2: It occurred to me during the head bashing scene that this is the perfect analogy for watching a Quentin Tarantino movie. The Brad Pitt character even acknowledges this when he comments, pre-head bashing, that it was the next best thing to going to the movies. And sure enough, as the Eli Roth character starts swinging his bat, the audience began snickering and giggling at the jokey violence, Tarantino's trademark, just like the characters up on screen.

Chapter 3: Who knew that what World War II movies were truly lacking was a critique of German cinema. Why? Because Tarantino knows nothing beyond fucking movies (and he's probably too lazy to do any research to come up with anything historically accurate or interesting). This is why the bulk of the movie takes place in a movie theater and we get little side lectures on the flammability of nitrate film. It also looks like Tarantino has a new goofy obsession: strudel with cream. Get ready to see it in future films with his other goofy obsession: women's feet. Also, must he include that soundtrack music from White Lightning in every one of his movies?! Is it in his contract? It's really getting tired.

Chapter 4: A homage to the big shootout in Pulp Fiction (he's even quoting himself now!) except with Nazis instead of dope dealers. Also, another Mexican standoff which may also be in his contract.

Chapter 5: The grand finale that gets the biggest laugh with Pitt's bad accent (a I Love Lucy homage?). Of course, the whole fantasy of killing Hitler is just absurd to begin with, but Tarantino gives it his all. Was that a Dario Argento homage with the ghostly image in the smoke at the end? Who gives a shit?

As I was leaving the theater, I overheard a discussion among a group of elderly women (the old ladies in Bayonne always come out in droves for the most violent movies--it's a little scary). Anyway, one woman asked the group what they thought of it. Of course, they were all reluctant to admit they might as well have just thrown their $7 in the gutter. One woman said that none of it was true (i.e. the premise was dumb) and another woman said that it was funny. And that's it in a nutshell. Obviously I'm in the minority of people who don't find Tarantino cute and funny. And who am I to argue with a bunch of old ladies who want to have a few laughs watching a Nazi get his head bashed in?
See God, Kai

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
Chapter 1: dumb homage to Once Upon a Time in the West, complete with Ennio Morricone music.

Maybe I'll just watch that again instead.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:50 PM »
Chapter 1: dumb homage to Once Upon a Time in the West, complete with Ennio Morricone music.

Funny you mention that.  I actually watched Kelly's Heroes last night for the first time since I was a kid, and it was everything Ingourious Basterds tried to do but failed at.  I couldn't believe how much fun it was, and it was the perfect flipside to IG.

You want WWII action? It's got WWII action. You want homages to spaghetti westerns? You got 'em. You want stunt casting that's actually fun instead of being dumb and distracting? Try Don Fucking Rickles as a badass Army dude. You want fun anachronisms? Try Donald Sutherland as a blissed out hippie dude in 1944. Plus Carrol O'Connor as crazy Patton-type general.  Fun, so much fun.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
I know for a fact that if my wife hadn't wanted to see it so bad I would have waited and rented it. Mike if you hate Tarantino and decided before hand that you weren't going to like the movie, why did you give him your money? I'm not asking in a smart ass way, just curious.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Funny you mention that.  I actually watched Kelly's Heroes last night for the first time since I was a kid,

I heart Kelly's Heroes. Also Where Eagles Dare.

I like WWII movies made in the '60s. They're fun. None of the desperate "we all have to do our part to beat Hitler & Tojo" stuff in the movies made during the war (Buy your bonds in this theater).

WWii movies from the '60s are always big, arrogant 2+ hour widescreen beatdowns with at least 6 American and British actors, and then some European actress you've never heard of. Dirty Dozen, Great Escape, etc etc.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

Funny you mention that.  I actually watched Kelly's Heroes last night for the first time since I was a kid, and it was everything Ingourious Basterds tried to do but failed at.  I couldn't believe how much fun it was, and it was the perfect flipside to IG.

You want WWII action? It's got WWII action. You want homages to spaghetti westerns? You got 'em. You want stunt casting that's actually fun instead of being dumb and distracting? Try Don Fucking Rickles as a badass Army dude. You want fun anachronisms? Try Donald Sutherland as a blissed out hippie dude in 1944. Plus Carrol O'Connor as crazy Patton-type general.  Fun, so much fun.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. This and the Dirty Dozen make a great double bill. Yes, it's a double bill that last 6 hours, but it's a 6 hours free of negative waves.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Satchm0

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
Why is Tarantino a famous director? He seems like a real decent guy in interviews, so maybe it's a likeability thing, but how can you become so renowned if your whole career is homage? No original thought. No subtext. This one felt particularly easy.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
I like how the Nazi's head is replaced with a watermelon right before it explodes.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
I know for a fact that if my wife hadn't wanted to see it so bad I would have waited and rented it. Mike if you hate Tarantino and decided before hand that you weren't going to like the movie, why did you give him your money? I'm not asking in a smart ass way, just curious.

It's a sort of sickness, I know, but I've always thought Tarantino was one of the most overrated writers/directors around. And the fact that he's the King of the Fanboys and still garners rave reviews from some critics makes it all the more galling. When I read about the feud between Roger Ebert and Armond White over the movie, I thought I'd check it out to see what the fuss was all about.
See God, Kai

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »

It's a sort of sickness, I know, but I've always thought Tarantino was one of the most overrated writers/directors around. And the fact that he's the King of the Fanboys and still garners rave reviews from some critics makes it all the more galling. When I read about the feud between Roger Ebert and Armond White over the movie, I thought I'd check it out to see what the fuss was all about.

Also, you have to have the right ammo when you tear something up on the bulletin boardz.

I read both Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead just so I could properly spank objectivists online. Even the John Galt radio speech and the Howard Roark trial speech.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
Why is Tarantino a famous director? He seems like a real decent guy in interviews, so maybe it's a likeability thing, but how can you become so renowned if your whole career is homage? No original thought. No subtext. This one felt particularly easy.

I haven't seen this yet and I won't go as far as Mike, considering I was a dumb teenager with an early 60's fetish who ate up Pulp Fiction... but likeable? That guy has always struck me as something of a coke fiend who may or may not be dangerously unstable. I could be wrong, maybe he's just neurotic. Doubtful, but possible.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:27 PM »
Im eagerly awaiting Mikes thoughts on the movie. Do you think Tom saw it and will discuss it on the show? I really enjoy his movie reviews, he hasnt done one in a while.

Chapter 5: The grand finale that gets the biggest laugh with Pitt's bad accent (a I Love Lucy homage?). Of course, the whole fantasy of killing Hitler is just absurd to begin with, but Tarantino gives it his all. Was that a Dario Argento homage with the ghostly image in the smoke at the end? Who gives a shit?

Ive never seen any of Argentos films, which one was that an homage to?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »

I don't know. I was just grasping. It looked vaguely familar. Maybe it was The Wizard of Oz. Anyway, you're not missing anything with the Argento oeuvre.
See God, Kai

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »

I don't know. I was just grasping. It looked vaguely familar. Maybe it was The Wizard of Oz. Anyway, you're not missing anything with the Argento oeuvre.

Raiders of the Lost Ark jumped immediately to mind.