Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022876 times)

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #1665 on: August 23, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
Geez, I forgot Clear Spot. That is a good album.

Regarding TMR, I think its status as a classic may have something to do with the number of critics and musicians that have championed it over the years. I think Lester Bangs said that it was the greatest album ever made. But I don't believe it's any great piece of art. It sounds pretentious and mostly unlistenable to me.

Although, the same could be said for LMDOB. I like it though.

Decals is great raw and loose but more cohesive than Trout Mask.

My favorite Trout tune wold have to be Dachau Blues.
Those poor Jews.

Tangent:
There is some debate regarding the the Mothers rather than the Magic Band backing the Cap't on THe Blimp.

To my ears: quite possibly true.
Pretty sure, it's a known fact that it was the Mothers on The Blimp.  It's a Frank Zappa backing track.
The story goes, Frank was sitting around the studio working on a Mothers' track while Beefheart phoned it in, and Frank just laid it over the Mother's track.  That's according to the 33 1/3 book on the making of TMR.
veni dixie vici

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1666 on: August 24, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »
I'm listening to episodes 1 and 2 of John Junk's radio play serial, airing tomorrow at 5pm EST on The Acousmatic Theater Hour on WFMU.

If it's on tape, I hope your co-host is there to help you

Hardy har har.  Nope, not taking any chances this week -- I burned them onto a CDR at 1x, which so far seems to be the foolproof way to play CDRs on WFMU's players.

Nice to know you're listening, though, GB.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1667 on: August 24, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
the speed of sound, laughing hysterically at todd palin (specifically, the dump on AZ- he's pretty on target). 

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1668 on: August 25, 2009, 10:12:11 PM »
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Chad from Oregon

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1669 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
I am listening to Mike Judge being interviewed on Fresh Air - and he just shared a Gene Simmons story.
I've got 99 problems but a FOT ain't one.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1670 on: August 26, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
Jorge Ben - Mas Que Nada from an MPB comp.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1671 on: August 27, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »
I've really getting into depressing/dark female singer songwriters the past couple years, and this is easily one of my favorite of the genre. The only not-so-hot song on the album is the single, which just doesn't sound like the rest of the album. I can't believe I forgot this in my "best of the decade" list.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1672 on: August 27, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1673 on: August 27, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

Did you hear the live performance of BSS with K. Drew on Live Concerts on All Songs Considered podcast? REALLY good if not. Many good shows on that podcast by the way.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1674 on: August 27, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »
BPH: ive listened to a number of shows on that podcast, youre right.  i was at the radiohead show in santa barbara that they have on there from last year (or 2007, i forget).  a couple of days ago i listened to the decemberists show (not so good) and the elephant 6 show in chicago.

and for now...

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1675 on: August 28, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
the live CDR included with the repressing of the cheater slicks' "bats in the dead trees." very nice!

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1676 on: August 28, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »
Jeff the Brotherhood - The Boys R Back n Town!  They rule hard live. I believe they just played a few shows with Ted Leo and the Pharmacists this week in California. That's such a ridiculously great bill.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1677 on: August 31, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »
I know that according to the canon, Jazz is "old people's music", but Terence Blanchard's A Tale of God's Will is beautiful.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1678 on: August 31, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
I know that according to the canon, Jazz is "old people's music", but Terence Blanchard's A Tale of God's Will is beautiful.
Media Squat
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1679 on: August 31, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
Media Squat

Huh?