Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1056291 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #3360 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »
It's a very good album. He's still at the top of his game lyric-wise. And the arrangements and production are top-shelf too. [H]is voice is painful to listen to, but it's not so bad that it greatly detracts from the quality of the album. Taken as a whole, it's Dylan's best work in quite some time.

*** 1/2  out of ****

I've been reading reviews like this since Blood On The Tracks came out.

That was me channeling my inner Robert Christgau/Greil Marcus.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3361 on: September 13, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
It's a very good album. He's still at the top of his game lyric-wise. And the arrangements and production are top-shelf too. [H]is voice is painful to listen to, but it's not so bad that it greatly detracts from the quality of the album. Taken as a whole, it's Dylan's best work in quite some time.

*** 1/2  out of ****

That was me channeling my inner Robert Christgau/Greil Marcus.

Love both those guys.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

mark b

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3362 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
I think Tempest is better than Together Through Life or Modern Times. Overall there are three or four solid tracks on Tempest and I don't think you can say the same about either of the past two albums.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3363 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Overall there are three or four solid tracks on Tempest and I don't think you can say the same about either of the past two albums.

Well, I really disagree strongly about this. I haven't heard Tempest yet, but to my mind, Modern Times is a great album with nothing but solid tracks. Together Through Life never impressed itself as strongly on my memory, but whenever I listen to it, I get all the way through without once thinking "Well, OK, this one's a dud." Not expecting to change anyone's mind about latter-day Bob--I love him, phlegmy voice and all--just registering that an alternative view is available.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3364 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
...And just for the record, I'm a Dylan fanatic but not an uncritical loyalist--I hated everything from Desire all the way up through the 80s as much as anyone.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

mark b

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3365 on: September 14, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
Yea, I know a lot of people like Modern Times and it did well critically, it just didn't do it for me. I'd like to know what you think about the new album.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3366 on: September 16, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »

*** 1/2  out of ****

And most of them have been correct

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3367 on: September 17, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
I've been liking the JJ DOOM record.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3368 on: September 17, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
James Adomian as Tom Leykis on this week's Comedy Bang Bang. CBB is fairly hit and miss for me, but I'm a big Adomian fan and his Leykis is hypnotic.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3369 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
James Adomian as Tom Leykis on this week's Comedy Bang Bang. CBB is fairly hit and miss for me, but I'm a big Adomian fan and his Leykis is hypnotic.

He used to do GW Bush on Ferguson and on his YouTube channel. The thing I appreciated about his GW Bush (as opposed to Will Ferrell's) was that Adomian didn't use the approach of "aw, look at the cute moron". Ferrell's shtick was funny, but it was mostly about laughing at the dumb guy. Whereas Adomian really captured Dubya's arrogance, entitlement and lack of human empathy. Adomian's really building up an interesting "heart of darkness" theme with the people he chooses to imitate.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3370 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

I don't quite "get" Animal Collective.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3371 on: September 21, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »

Me, either, brother.  I have one of their songs in my Spotify rotation: "Visiting Friends."  I always almost take it out.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3372 on: September 21, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »

Me, either, brother.  I have one of their songs in my Spotify rotation: "Visiting Friends."  I always almost take it out.
Wish they sounded as good, in actuality, as they do in my mind when I read descriptions of their music.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3373 on: September 21, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

I'll buy them as long as they keep making them. This is their Rick Rubin comeback album and, after one listen, I'm onboard. My wife even stopped working to comment on how good the album is.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3374 on: September 21, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

I'll buy them as long as they keep making them. This is their Rick Rubin comeback album and, after one listen, I'm onboard. My wife even stopped working to comment on how good the album is.
How serious are you Master?   

Have you done ten spins, yet?

Questions, questions, questions!