Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1022782 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
Did Beck die?

And Blue Cheer, "Come and Get It."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2008, 05:43:52 PM »
This is gonna sound sorta stupid but he's sorta dead to me in that I can't bring myself to listen to his new stuff on account of his millenial embrace of scientology.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »
This is gonna sound sorta stupid but he's sorta dead to me in that I can't bring myself to listen to his new stuff on account of his millenial embrace of scientology.

I think he always was one, I might be wrong though.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #348 on: August 13, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »

I don't think his music has changed much. Lyrics were insane before, still insane now.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #349 on: August 13, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »

Wikipedia backs you up.

Beck has been involved in Scientology for most of his life; his wife is also a second-generation Scientologist. Marissa and her twin brother, Giovanni, were delivered by Beck's mother, Bibbe.[62] Beck publicly acknowledged his affiliation with the controversial Church of Scientology for the first time in an interview published in the New York Times Magazine on March 6, 2005. Further confirmation came in an interview with the Irish Sunday Tribune's i Magazine on June 11, 2005, where he was quoted as saying, "Yeah, I'm a Scientologist. My father has been a Scientologist for about 35 years, so I grew up in and around it."

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
I know the history, but I'm basing my official "embracing" point on the release of Sea Change, where, although he had always been around scientology, he finally dumped his non-scientologist girlfriend via scientologist intervention, made a crappy, over-produced soft-rock album, and jumped the shark whilst inadvertently(?) sending album-cover-designer Jeremy Blake into a paranoid downward spiral that resulted in a crazy-ass double-suicide, then went on tour with the Flaming Lips and got totally upstaged by them.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #351 on: August 13, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
I know the history, but I'm basing my official "embracing" point on the release of Sea Change, where, although he had always been around scientology, he finally dumped his non-scientologist girlfriend via scientologist intervention, made a crappy, over-produced soft-rock album, and jumped the shark whilst inadvertently(?) sending album-cover-designer Jeremy Blake into a paranoid downward spiral that resulted in a crazy-ass double-suicide, then went on tour with the Flaming Lips and got totally upstaged by them.

News to me, very interesting. I saw him a couple of times, good shows and all but I don't own his records or anything. I thought that tune where the percussion section was a bunch of dudes jamming on cutlery was pretty good though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWT8coeUUfY[/youtube]

EDIT REALISATION: actually it blows.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #352 on: August 13, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
The new Walkmen album.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
To be fair, The Kid is a fan of the dinner-table percussion.  I've never heard that song, I consciously avoid new Beck stuff.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »

Charles Hayward and Trefor Goronwy's post This Heat group. Really quite astonishing in parts.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm kind of with you JJ even though I still listen to Beck. You can't help but thinking that it's a Scientology record even if it really isn't. I totally understand now why people can't embrace any Christian music.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #356 on: August 13, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »

The Theresa Duncan/Jeremy Blake double suicide thing is why I just can't listen to Beck anymore.  Inadvertent or not, when I'm hearing 'Beercan', I'm envisioning somebody discovering Jeremy Blake's remains.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #357 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
I've never been able to take Beck seriously.  In fact, I think I just might go post a picture of him in the shady characters thread.   ???

emma

« Reply #358 on: August 13, 2008, 10:57:42 PM »
Beck is one of those musicians whose fucked up personal life has actually never managed to affect or interfere with my enjoyment of his music in any way, shape or form. Clearly I am just the outlier here.

Anyway. Right now, I am listening to Hawksley Workman's "You, Me and the Weather" and also a whole bunch of cats yowling outside the window.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #359 on: August 13, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »

The Theresa Duncan/Jeremy Blake double suicide thing is why I just can't listen to Beck anymore.  Inadvertent or not, when I'm hearing 'Beercan', I'm envisioning somebody discovering Jeremy Blake's remains.

I don't know if you intended this post to be funny, but now I'm thinking of a dead body washing up on the shore and those weird voices at the end of "Beercan": "Awwww Yeah.  My goodness!" Am I sick for thinking that's funny?