Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1023021 times)

Gilly

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #480 on: September 12, 2008, 09:02:57 PM »
You guys already have the new iPod?

It was included in a firmware update. No new iPod needed.

I haven't played around with the genius yet in Itunes but it's definitely not something I'm going to un-jailbreak for.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #481 on: September 12, 2008, 09:16:19 PM »
The 'Genius' follows up Gil-Scott Heron's 'Ain't no new thing' ('Cultural Rape and no geographical boundaries on white hate') with 'Strawberry Letter No. 23'...

Nicksy

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #482 on: September 12, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »
the genius thing is somehow connected to the iTunes store, which feels very big-brothery. I don't know if it has an algorithm that actually analyzes the content of the song, or just compiles a list based on what other customers purchased. It also wouldn't let me make a genius playlist for songs that weren't in the iTunes store.
hey what's up

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #483 on: September 12, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »
the genius thing is somehow connected to the iTunes store, which feels very big-brothery. I don't know if it has an algorithm that actually analyzes the content of the song, or just compiles a list based on what other customers purchased. It also wouldn't let me make a genius playlist for songs that weren't in the iTunes store.

I was gonna try that.  It ain't no Pandora...

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #484 on: September 12, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »
I've never really been introduced to anything I really like with Pandora. I've been introduced to tons of stuff I like from friends or listening to friends stations on Last.fm. Friends > Machine.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #485 on: September 12, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
Genius is occasionally cool (for example, when I tried it with a New Bomb Turks song I got a mix that included Redd Kross, Richard Hell, Van Halen, and Rage Against The Machine), but for me the whole point of shuffles and mixes is variety - most of the time it just spits up 25 songs from the same general category (for example, every time I try it with GBV I get a totally predictable list of Pavement, Sonic Youth, and YLT songs - all stuff I like, but no real variety).

Right now, I'm in Milwaukee, listening to the most recent archive of WFMU's Night People and wondering whether to go wander around by myself.  Totep and that other fella, PM me quick if you're around!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #486 on: September 12, 2008, 11:31:29 PM »
I was surprised when Genius did a really really good transition (quiet song, quiet then loud song, loud song), but it may have just been a coincidence.

Genius seems to mostly pick out popular/well-liked songs, which is a good way for me to re-listen to stuff I may have overlooked that I already have.

But yeah, it's no Pandora.  Which sadly may not be long for this earth.  It would sure be nice if Apple or Amazon or someone floated some cash to Pandora, Muxtape, and the other cool-but-can't-afford royalties services which must in some way increase sales.  Ah well.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
I love Pandora because it seems to be a good mix of actual people classifying and categorizing music, and machines doing their number crunching thing.

It's not another 'throw a crudload of people's music collections at some algorithm' thing.

But as you said, too bad the plug's probly gonna get pulled.

I was surprised when Genius did a really really good transition (quiet song, quiet then loud song, loud song), but it may have just been a coincidence.

Genius seems to mostly pick out popular/well-liked songs, which is a good way for me to re-listen to stuff I may have overlooked that I already have.

But yeah, it's no Pandora.  Which sadly may not be long for this earth.  It would sure be nice if Apple or Amazon or someone floated some cash to Pandora, Muxtape, and the other cool-but-can't-afford royalties services which must in some way increase sales.  Ah well.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
I bet Pandora sells the rights to all the work they've done and they stay on board to help out. I can't imagine they'd abandon the project completely.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #489 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »
I am asking again.....do you guys already have the new iPod? How are you hearing genius?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
I am asking again.....do you guys already have the new iPod? How are you hearing genius?

Hi Dave,

The Genius (shudder) feature is part of the new version of iTunes, iTunes 8.0.  So it's part of that software as opposed to being a new iPod feature.  You can use it to generate playlists, which, if you like them, you can send to your iPod.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #491 on: September 13, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Mane Joao and other Brazilian goodness! Check the DL section for more (soon).

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #492 on: September 13, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
Der Schimmelreiter, my favorite written thing of all time.
I have a long history of booing

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #494 on: September 30, 2008, 01:29:36 AM »
Is that a real song?  I never knew what that was until an English friend explained it to me w/r/t the fat guy in the British Office.  That shit has disco fries totally beat in the disgusting olympics.

And, just to keep the game going, The Roots, "Lazy Afternoon."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.