Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824118 times)

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10740 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the "Calvin & Hobbes" style comic of Mike and Gary walking in the snow? I saw it float by on Twitter on Tues. night, but can't find it now.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10741 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:43 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the "Calvin & Hobbes" style comic of Mike and Gary walking in the snow? I saw it float by on Twitter on Tues. night, but can't find it now.
http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php/topic,9557.msg0/topicseen.html#new
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10742 on: December 19, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
I can't be the only one who got choked up just a little when Big Star started playing, right?
nope :)

The Tom Waits punchline was the best possible way the show could have ended.
I literally sat up in bed and had a SPLIT SECOND flash where I thought maybe Tom had been trolling me this whole time and I didn't have to hide my love of Tom Waits anymore! no such luck, and another perfect moment from the show

Your vigor for life appalls me.

around the bend

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10743 on: December 19, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
I loved Mike reflecting on the show, and Tom telling Jon to Please Leave the Room.

The worst: I can't believe WFMU has promised to sue Tom and Jon into oblivion if they try to take these characters to a money making marketplace.  Unbelievable!

CactusClothesline

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10744 on: December 19, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
I can't be the only one who got choked up just a little when Big Star started playing, right?

This moment absolutely crushed me when it happened live, and again when I listened back to the show yesterday. Won't ever be able to listen to that (amazing) song the same way again...

GhostDad

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10745 on: December 19, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
So many best moments... I fought off tears at several times during the episode.  For some reason, when Tom mentioned a certain comedian's name near the end I completely lost it.  It was an accumulation of things, but that just sent me over the edge.  Loss is tough.

SO glad Tom and Jon are continuing.  EVEN MORE glad that AP Mike is on board.  To hear Tom describe how Mike is a perfect foil for him made me super happy.

Callers were great.  The dude who got Bad Company'ed didn't really deserve it, and on any other night we might have heard the conclusion of that tale, but that was an amazing Bad Company'ing.. Somehow the Bad Company'ing of a Franky Teardrop challenge story is almost as scary as the challenge itself.  That was like a Steven King short story that the caller and Tom put together there.

SO MUCH love to the guys and gals who helped put together the audio clips for that final Audio Collage.

I'm thinking of collaging together all the audio collages and making one long audio file out of it, then calling it the Tommy Teardrop Challenge.  I hope that's ok.

Also, I never got a chance to call in (sorry, I never had the nerve to call in), but I had my call planned.  I was going to tell Tom a story about a local radio guy in Montreal, Ted Tevan who is unfortunately not with us any more.  He also hung up on his callers in an amazing manner, and was a tremendous open-line talk radio guy.  He would have found Tom funny and would have called him a "class act" and a "straight arrow".  RIP Ted, RIP Best Show, Long Live Scharpling!

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10746 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
So many best moments... I fought off tears at several times during the episode.  For some reason, when Tom mentioned a certain comedian's name near the end I completely lost it.  It was an accumulation of things, but that just sent me over the edge.  Loss is tough.

That was a standout moment for me too. And that comedian's laugh in the collage.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10747 on: December 19, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »
I've always enjoyed the Wally Wackiman "character."

I'm not sure what the quotes are all about, but I'll take it.  Thanks!

-Zach

Zach,

The first time I tuned in to Best Show, you and Hatch (I think) were filling in.  I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and execution of a puppet hosting a radio program.  I didn't listen again for several months, at which point I heard a couple shows in a row with Tom in the driver's seat.  It took a few more listens as I hadn't done my research and kept waiting for Wally to come back.  So, there's that.

Thanks for helping me ease into the show!

So glad to hear that I (and Wally) helped you bring you into the fold.  Thanks for the kind words!

-Zach

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10748 on: December 19, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

That was a standout moment for me too. And that comedian's laugh in the collage.

Which comedian are you guys talking about? Patton Oswalt?
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?

Benevenstanciano

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10749 on: December 19, 2013, 11:39:35 PM »
PFT, I assume

Einstein_Concubine

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10750 on: December 20, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
I loved Mike reflecting on the show, and Tom telling Jon to Please Leave the Room.

The worst: I can't believe WFMU has promised to sue Tom and Jon into oblivion if they try to take these characters to a money making marketplace.  Unbelievable!

Where did you read/hear that? Is it legal to be a free station and also sue?

This means I'll have to go back to listening to Seven Second Delay to laugh. Ugh...

CactusClothesline

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10751 on: December 20, 2013, 03:35:58 AM »
Anyone have any guesses as to the summertime call that Jon referenced as being the cause of so much post-call grief for himself?

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10752 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:48 PM »
I loved the PFT acknowledgment.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10753 on: December 20, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
Which comedian are you guys talking about? Patton Oswalt?

I think it's Pete Holmes' laugh.  It's been a long time since I subjected myself to Pete Holmes so it's a guess.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10754 on: December 20, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
I saw this on AP Mike's Twitter and thought it was worth posting here:

Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?