Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828985 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8655 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
I finally heard the last 30 minutes while making dinner Saturday evening.  Cooking progress was delayed by several minutes of doubled-over, breathless yoks.

You know, Gary's singing voice has a certain Richard Manuel quality to it if you think of a song like "Whispering Pines" or the studio version of "I Shall Be Released."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8656 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
Tom really brought it with the last show. Gary's song was amazing! I keep singing, "You're as dumb as a bunch of rocks!" over and over in my head. Can't wait for "Beach Weirdo" and the 500th episode.

'You're gettin bopped by a squirrel' is the hook for me.

Brandon0476

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8657 on: June 04, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »
Tom really brought it with the last show. Gary's song was amazing! I keep singing, "You're as dumb as a bunch of rocks!" over and over in my head. Can't wait for "Beach Weirdo" and the 500th episode.

'You're gettin bopped by a squirrel' is the hook for me.

A very close second.

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8658 on: June 05, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
I can't remember which bit of last week's show I intended to post about, because when I started to type friendsoftom.com into my browser it suggested friendster.com, which seems ridiculously optimistic.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8659 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
Did you immediately listen to the show where Tom signs up for a Friendster account on the air? It's the same show where he sings a good chunk of the Bridge Over Troubled Water album to a caller. September 24, 2003. Go listen NOW!

Crusherkc

« Reply #8660 on: June 05, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
Tom Scharpling's the first person I heard refer to Friendster as ghost town on the internet.  That and "don't you feel sorry for Friendster when you still get vestigial messages from them? Like, 'oh yeah' I forgot about you'". 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8661 on: June 06, 2012, 12:10:16 AM »
PIXARt's "The General" & sequels. Perfect.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8662 on: June 06, 2012, 12:56:38 AM »
How long has it been that Spike hasn't made an appearance? Even if it's just him calling and Tom hanging up on him immediately. I'm sure it's not as long ago as it seems.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8663 on: June 06, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »

mackro

« Reply #8664 on: June 06, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
SCUBA BUGLES!

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8665 on: June 06, 2012, 03:08:13 AM »
How long has it been that Spike hasn't made an appearance? Even if it's just him calling and Tom hanging up on him immediately. I'm sure it's not as long ago as it seems.
Spike called just last week! He apologized publicly for the "Calamity's Rainbow" incident and thus had his ban officially lifted, but then Tom heaved him immediately and without warning. It was pretty great.

Kurt B. left a bad taste in my mouth after cussing on the Best Show a couple of months ago, and I'm pretty tired of CBB! and Bunk getting plugged nonstop on every WTF and all of the MaxFun podcasts, but he really won me over by the end of the show. Especially the PIXARt stuff, obviously.

But Gary's remix of "Gary," well, that took the cake.

mackro

« Reply #8666 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:20 AM »
Re: Kurt -- I was very lucky to see him several times at the Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival in between his first failed call on The Best Show and his appearance tonight. After that, I couldn't WAIT to hear him on The Best Show. He seemed perfect for it, in a sense that I figure he would bring a little bit of chaos to the show -- and he did exactly that for a while.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8667 on: June 06, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »
"Baby's blood is the best lubricate"

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8668 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
"You know, I'm going to downgrade to stuff it, too. I don't need Lord of the Flies. I was trying to be highbrow. Heave-ho. Who am I trying to impress anymore? Again, I played Sammy Hagar two hours ago."

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8669 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
I don't like my animals cuddly. I like my animals edgy.