Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2828194 times)

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8820 on: July 10, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »
Something about his commitment to his bit, however bad it might have been, made it fun. And then Tom trying to prove he was on his side and talk to him on a non-joking level, with Sir Scott still staying in his obvious character, just made me laugh. I am a sucker for people who give to something completely, even (and sometimes especially) when they are failing. Plus, with a name like Sir Scott, how could he lose?

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8821 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
I'm ambivalent about the 'no silly voices/characters' thing. The occasional silly voice (Spike) and character (Spike) is OK.

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8822 on: July 10, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
I enjoyed the Sir Scott calls mostly due to Tom potentially laying the bait for the kid to break character a la "You thought I was your friend, but I'm your FOE!" I mean, we'll never know what would have happened if the kid had gone for it, nor did he, but a moment of understanding and a moment of roping the kid in and then torpedoing him were equal possibilities and I love the tension that exists there.

This should probably go in the underrated Best Show strengths topic, but one of those things that Tom can do on a live radio show with callers that podcasts don't do - and one of those things that makes listening live such an experience - is the moment when Tom reels in a caller on something and they may not know it's happening. He just sets those traps (for lack of a better word), be it luring someone into dropping a lame comedy bit, tricking someone into getting themselves Heave Ho'ed or just catching someone off guard by either making up a fake fact or claiming to be ignorant of something he most definitely knows, and you get those seconds where you can sense the caller trying to decide whether to go for it or not.

I can't think of anybody who pulls that kind of thing off more consistently and makes it as funny as Tom does.
This may be the year I will disappear.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8823 on: July 10, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
I'm pro Sir Scott too, because I love when kids call the show and try to be little wise guys. It's funny because 9 times out of 10 they're awful, but every once in a while they sometimes manage to enter into something really weird or odd w/Tom, and that's also totally great.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8824 on: July 10, 2012, 10:40:52 PM »
Relistening to the Jimmy Webb episode.  Two very strong moments: the way Tom sings the words "beautiful balloon" and the constant cackling of the Associate Producer in the background.  He must have left the door open again, because you can hear all of his questions.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Chrissy in MN

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8825 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
George Rascal Rider Martin

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8826 on: July 11, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »
Two highlights for me:
-Irwin's (or is it Erwin's) call
-Scar Tissue
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8827 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
"PUT THAT SHARK BACK!"

Crusherkc

« Reply #8828 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
"PUT THAT SHARK BACK!"

GET OFF MY SHARK! (this time...it really is personal)
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

laura

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8829 on: July 11, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Best:

Jon from Maplewood: Shark Hero
Irwood
Comedians taste in music
Best Show is beautiful

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8830 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Mike Rutherford in jail for mail fraud. Why do you think there hasn't been a Mike and The Mechanics album in so long?

Also, the Van Morrisson/Mellencamp cruise call was one of the funniest things ever. Living in Bloomington, almost everybody you meet (except me) has a story about meeting Mellencamp, and nearly every one involves Mellencamp being annoyed or put out in some way (recall Matt's record store related call a few weeks ago). I can understand being annoyed about people bugging you, but in some of the stories Mellencamp was annoyed because people _weren't_ making a fuss about him. Oh well.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8831 on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
Mike losing it when Tom was talking about "Breaking Bread"

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8832 on: July 11, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
Getting some serious FONPR vibes from Irwood.  Time will tell if he has the depth of FONPR, or is a classic rock one trick pony.

ben

« Reply #8833 on: July 11, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
Mike Rutherford's Mail Fraud

Spanish Dracula

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hardcore Band

Oh yeah - and "Put back that shark!"

Jon from Maplewood = Shark hero and my hero
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8834 on: July 12, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
Irwood/Irwin/Erwin's call was a thing of rare beauty.