Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818637 times)

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6660 on: July 09, 2011, 07:55:17 AM »
I thought Amadaus did a pretty good job on the Paul Mccartney essay considering that Mcartney did that racist out take "No Pakistanis" back in the day.

Yeah, because if there's one thing the Beatles were obviously down about, it's the people of the Indian subcontinent.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6661 on: July 09, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
I thought Amadaus did a pretty good job on the Paul Mccartney essay considering that Mcartney did that racist out take "No Pakistanis" back in the day.

Yeah, because if there's one thing the Beatles were obviously down about, it's the people of the Indian subcontinent.

"When we were doing Let It Be, there were a couple of verses to Get Back which were actually not racist at all - they were anti-racist. There were a lot of stories in the newspapers then about Pakistanis crowding out flats - you know, living 16 to a room or whatever. So in one of the verses of Get Back, which we were making up on the set of Let It Be, one of the outtakes has something about 'too many Pakistanis living in a council flat' - that's the line. Which to me was actually talking out against overcrowding for Pakistanis... If there was any group that was not racist, it was the Beatles. I mean, all our favourite people were always black. We were kind of the first people to open international eyes, in a way, to Motown."

Paul McCartney
Rolling Stone, 1986

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6662 on: July 09, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

"When we were doing Let It Be, there were a couple of verses to Get Back which were actually not racist at all - they were anti-racist. There were a lot of stories in the newspapers then about Pakistanis crowding out flats - you know, living 16 to a room or whatever. So in one of the verses of Get Back, which we were making up on the set of Let It Be, one of the outtakes has something about 'too many Pakistanis living in a council flat' - that's the line. Which to me was actually talking out against overcrowding for Pakistanis... If there was any group that was not racist, it was the Beatles. I mean, all our favourite people were always black. We were kind of the first people to open international eyes, in a way, to Motown."

Paul McCartney
Rolling Stone, 1986

Just look at them in that picture standing all around and laughing at the Indian man.

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6663 on: July 11, 2011, 02:43:04 AM »
Alluded to already, but the comparison of Portland to Atlantis was BRILLIANT. Why I keep tuning in every week. I have wanted to move to Portland for several years now, and I knew that there was something with that place. It's Atlantis!!!!
I can hear you judging me.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6664 on: July 11, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »

'People of the Indian subcontinent' is about as homogenous a group as 'people of Earth', but I get your meaning.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6665 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
Alluded to already, but the comparison of Portland to Atlantis was BRILLIANT. Why I keep tuning in every week. I have wanted to move to Portland for several years now, and I knew that there was something with that place. It's Atlantis!!!!

Personally, I was sold on Portlandia's claim that 'the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland'.

Riley

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6666 on: July 11, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
the beat poem was so amazing. i can't believe it. GLUTTONY!

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6667 on: July 11, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
"The Curt Flood of eating contests." Wow.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6668 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »

'People of the Indian subcontinent' is about as homogenous a group as 'people of Earth', but I get your meaning.

Of course, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the idea of Macca being racist is. I know Luther was kidding anyhow, but the 'No Pakistanis' version of Get Back is so obviously a (not very good) satire of Powellite racial politics. Nobody ever mentions the 'No Puerto Ricans' line.

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #6669 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »

Of course, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the idea of Macca being racist is. I know Luther was kidding anyhow, but the 'No Pakistanis' version of Get Back is so obviously a (not very good) satire of Powellite racial politics. Nobody ever mentions the 'No Puerto Ricans' line.

Clearly there is a difference between saying it an d meaning it, but there's not always a difference in how it is accepted (by the press, by regular people). It's a hard call on these things because sometimes I do think things like this normalize those ideas given the right context. I'm much more offended by the indians logo of the other thread, but I wonder if that relativism matters.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6670 on: July 12, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
Of course, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the idea of Macca being racist is.

Confusing as it was at the time, George Allen saying "macaca" was clearly racist in some way.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6671 on: July 12, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
Of course, I was just pointing out how ridiculous the idea of Macca being racist is.

Confusing as it was at the time, George Allen saying "macaca" was clearly racist in some way.

Macca clearly bridged the gap between the races with Ebony and Ivory

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6672 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »

Personally, I was sold on Portlandia's claim that 'the dream of the 90s is alive in Portland'.
No doubt that sweetens the deal! Watch out street trash! Portland here I come!
I can hear you judging me.

Spike

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6673 on: July 12, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
So Spike has been allegedly banned until he reaches OLD AGE. Tom really wants him to appear on the show.
CHILDREN UNDER AGE 25 SHOULD NEVER BE SEEN NOR HEARD.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6674 on: July 12, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »

Macca clearly bridged the gap between the races with Ebony and Ivory

And while racism was wobbling on its feet, 'Say Say Say' delivered the death blow.