Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819257 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #6975 on: August 28, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
I like the violence of golf.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6976 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
I like the violence of golf.
Tiger didn't.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6977 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »

I'm inclined to agree... except that brutal, concussion-inducing tackles aren't the point of football. They're an incidental part of the game, not the goal of it.
That's not what any superstar defensive football player would tell you.

Plus, football players have unionized health insurance and pensions.  Do mixed martial artists?
Does the fact that your wheelchair is covered by health insurance really make up for it?

If you're so big on logic, don't make a false equivalency.  (Also, I'm unclear... who said football is okay, and MMA isn't?  I can't find the post.)

You implied that football is okay and MMA isn't.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6978 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Too much sports talk!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6979 on: August 28, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6980 on: August 28, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »

I'm inclined to agree... except that brutal, concussion-inducing tackles aren't the point of football. They're an incidental part of the game, not the goal of it.
That's not what any superstar defensive football player would tell you.

Plus, football players have unionized health insurance and pensions.  Do mixed martial artists?
Does the fact that your wheelchair is covered by health insurance really make up for it?

If you're so big on logic, don't make a false equivalency.  (Also, I'm unclear... who said football is okay, and MMA isn't?  I can't find the post.)

You implied that football is okay and MMA isn't.

1. I don't know any superstar linebackers or lineman.  Do you?  Are you going entirely based on interviews, or what?  I'm honestly curious... obviously, head down tackles are encouraged at the high school level, but this isn't an inherent problem with football "the game."  The ethics of playing pro football hasn't caught up to the tactics.  Dunno how this makes it equivalent to a sport where the only point is to lay a dude out.

2. You were making an ethical comparison.  One sport takes care of its own, the other doesn't (as far as I know).  So yes, I would be more inclined to give football a pass (NO PUN INTENDED!  HA HA!) for at least acknowledging that long term health problems exist.  Again, I don't know if MMA leagues have dealt with this at all yet.

And, like I said, the tackling issue can be dealt with by regulations, enforcement, etc.  In MMA, blows to the head are inherent to the sport.  I'm not sure why this distinction eludes you.

3.  I actually wasn't talking about football in my first post.  I like football okay, but the violent parts of it bother me.  I like basketball, soccer and baseball, and football's a distant fourth.  In that order.  Doesn't mean I think football is the same thing as cage fighting, because that's fucking ridiculous.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6981 on: August 28, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Just to be clear, there are huge problems with American football.  But they're fixable, and could be dealt with by punishing the players who make dirty tackles and the coaches who teach that style of play.

I'm not sure how you could remove the risk of permanent, debilitating injury from MMA.  If that's a possibility, please... show me the way, Frampton Stylee.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #6982 on: August 28, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
I guess we could remove the possibility of injury of everyone from everything by covering everyone in bubble wrap with sensors attached to go off each time we got more than a foot away from each other. This is highly impractical to carry out now but if a technological singularity happens in the next couple of decades the AGI's that are created will surely workout some way to do exactly that.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6983 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »
Just to be clear, there are huge problems with American football.  But they're fixable, and could be dealt with by punishing the players who make dirty tackles and the coaches who teach that style of play.

I'm not sure how you could remove the risk of permanent, debilitating injury from MMA.  If that's a possibility, please... show me the way, Frampton Stylee.

You can't completely eliminate the risk of permanent injury in MMA altogether, but if all the parties involved (the ref and the fighters) know what they're doing that possibility is pretty slim. Fluke injuries can happen, but in general if a guy snaps an ankle it's because he didn't tap when he should have and the ref let it happen. It's not a safe sport by any stretch, but it's also not as deadly as some seem to think it is.

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6984 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
When it wasn't entirely clear whether that caller was high or not, and then he says, "French Spanish Reggae," I nearly crashed my car.

paul from sacramento

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6985 on: August 29, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »
I don't really care whether or not it's safe. It's already here and it's probably not going to go away. I don't like that it is boring, all the participants are very unlikable, Joe Rogan (by the way another Spikeism "Joe Rogaine"), anybody I would be able to find that I could talk about with I wouldn't want to talk to, you often have to pay to watch it, numerous other reasons.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6986 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
When it wasn't entirely clear whether that caller was high or not, and then he says, "French Spanish Reggae," I nearly crashed my car.

French Spanish Reggae, the genre that reminds us there's something worse than German hip hop.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6987 on: August 29, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
I don't really care whether or not it's safe. It's already here and it's probably not going to go away. I don't like that it is boring, all the participants are very unlikable, Joe Rogan (by the way another Spikeism "Joe Rogaine"), anybody I would be able to find that I could talk about with I wouldn't want to talk to, you often have to pay to watch it, numerous other reasons.

Fair enough. I'm not really invested enough in it as a fan to give any grand defense of it. I like something you dislike, I'm sure you like several things I dislike. Were I not bored due to being stcuk inside because of the hurricane I doubt I would have persued it this far.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6988 on: August 29, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
My knowledge of how crazy football is comes mostly from too much HBO sports and a friend whose brother was in NFL camp, but I've completely lost interest in the argument/debate.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6989 on: August 29, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
My knowledge of how crazy football is comes mostly from too much HBO sports and a friend whose brother was in NFL camp, but I've completely lost interest in the argument/debate.

I wouldn't believe you, but you italicized the shit out of "completely".  So I guess you've beaten me, sir... because he who cares least is best!  Like the bible says.