Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810718 times)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8070 on: February 08, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
I'd like to hear Blaine Capatch and Rachel Dratch on the Hatch Patch.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8071 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »

I didn't hear a lot of the show but I sure cracked up every time someone called it "The Hatch Patch", haha, so good!

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8072 on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
The 'Hatch Patch' name was a Jason from Huntsville Alabama (or one of his entourage?) gold nugget. He Tweeted it as a possible hashtag and it stuck fast.

EDIT: WRONG: It was from Maggie Serota to Jason to infamy..
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

Kormod

« Reply #8073 on: February 08, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Hatch isn't too pleased with it, apparently:

Robert Hatch-Miller  @robhatchmiller
what is this #HatchPatch shit? @danielralston

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8074 on: February 08, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Also: Sasquatch.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8075 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
The 'Hatch Patch' name was a Jason from Huntsville Alabama (or one of his entourage?) gold nugget. He Tweeted it as a possible hashtag and it stuck fast.

I think I (or my PA) got it from over on Maggie's Facebook when she said she was going to be on the show. I assumed this was the agreed upon name.

It's funnier that it wasn't.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8076 on: February 08, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
Very fun show!  It's interesting to hear how it all came together.  Thanks to all involved.

I liked hearing Donnie and Joe too.  Despite appearances the album can pull over $100 on eBay.

mackro

« Reply #8077 on: February 09, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »
The show was a lot of fun. Lots of best moments.

I think my call was the worst moment. Listening back now, I'm totally a stuttering jerk. That won't happen again.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8078 on: February 09, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
Cool it, guys, you did fine.

I confess to some initial skepticism on tuning in, but was won over as the show progressed. Solid work by all.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8079 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Hey Gang,
    Just figured I'd chime in.  I'm very honored and flattered by what Gregg said.  It means a lot to bring him back into the fold of those rooting for, rather than against, Wally.  I really am happy how well it went with a lot of positive energy, the opposite of what often took place on Twitter, for whatever reason.  Wally would like to not necessarily think of this as a "comeback", of sorts, as he was never truly gone, except from the radio, along with the others, during the ban.

Wally didn't have much of a venue to get out there, during that time, except Twitter, which doesn't allow the voice to be heard, as well as the tone and intent of his words.  Basically, his style and sense of humor doesn't come across as well on there.  He's since tried to cut back to just making jokes or commentary on things that would be hard to come off as especially offensive.  When he's involved in any future endeavors, such as new online videos, he'll also use it to advertise that.  It was an experiment to make himself more available to the fans and others, but it went a little haywire.

All the same, he and I both feel the whole notion of a "feltdown" was blown way out of proportion, too.  That call was meant as Wally sort of "cutting his own promo", to keep the wrestling metaphor going, in response to Greggulator's specifically calling him out amongst the whole ban situation.  It was meant to play up character drama and entertain the crowd, but as any caller knows, Tom is always the one in control of which direction a call goes.  He switched it to trying to talk to Wally in a different way, suiting of his mentor status.  In the end, it was all worthwhile, as it helped Wally and I refocus on what we're aiming for, backing off Twitter and refocusing.  Nothing really crazy, and kind of touching when I relistened to it, with Tom only having the best intentions, as always.

As for the whole voice thing, I think that's getting tired.  Wally and I will take it from Tom, but really, I don't think any time Wally was on the mic, someone would not know that it was him speaking.  Let's move past it.  Of course, everyone's entitled to their opinions and share them here, but me and Wally hope more and more, people will embrace him and his continued efforts to entertain, and continue to follow his exploits, whether tied directly to the show or not.  Thanks for hearing me (and Wally, by proxy) out.  Later days!

-Zach (Big Z)

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #8080 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
I like ya man but EVERY SINGLE post you make is defensive. (Responding saying "Not EVERY post is defensive" is an example.) Just relax man, this is the internet.

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8081 on: February 10, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
Hey,
   I'm sorry it comes off that way.  To me, it's more just putting my side out there, reminding people that there's a real dude behind the puppet, and just sharing my thoughts and perspective.  I thought I was trying to be positive and just reflect on how things are continuing to change, for the better.  I am relaxed, I assure you.  Talk to you FOTs, later.

-Zach (Big Z)

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #8082 on: February 10, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
Big Z,

One of the many reasons why Scharpling and Wurster is one of the best things ever is because it is what it is. Jon doesn't call into the show talking about the development of D. Plop.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8083 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
The show was a lot of fun. Lots of best moments.

I think my call was the worst moment. Listening back now, I'm totally a stuttering jerk. That won't happen again.

Mackro. You come across on the radio as a super-smart and super-nice guy.  You did great.  And let's face it: With the exception of some celebrity-status callers, most of us are just fodder for the DJ's to play off of, so it is not our primary objective to be necessarily cool or funny, but to provide the DJ's some material with which to work (<--awk).  And you did that! So put on some Billy Joel and have a great weekend.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8084 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
Callers who are not named as regular callers, but whom I almost always enjoy:

JonfromMaplewood
Mackro from Seattle
The Frank from Weehauken/Mike from Manhattan dynamic duo
Christina from Brooklyn

He was short-lived, but I also enjoyed the guy who tried to explain various Mexican foods to Tom.

I'm sure there are others.  You all make a nice break from the mutants, who are only funny in Tom's reaction to them.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!