Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818894 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8250 on: March 17, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »
Bad Ronald is bizarre and creepy for a network TV movie.

Bad Ronald(1974)

49.95?!

VHS tapes used to cost monster bucks back in the 80's.  It wasn't rare for them to go for $100 or so, no matter how terrible the movie.

I remember seeing a full-page ad that Police Academy IV was available on video for $89.99. I had seen it in the theater and it was the first movie I ever walked out of, so the idea that people would pay $89.99 to see it presumably more than once boggled the mind.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8251 on: March 18, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
I remember seeing a full-page ad that Police Academy IV was available on video for $89.99. I had seen it in the theater and it was the first movie I ever walked out of, so the idea that people would pay $89.99 to see it presumably more than once boggled the mind.

Those movies were never the same after the death of Clara Peller...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8252 on: March 21, 2012, 05:15:16 AM »
So, who's this Alex character? He called in saying he was calling from Detroit @ 2:38:34, then called back as Alex from Anchorage @ 2:47:57. I remember that he's been calling a couple of times in the past, but the only specific instance I could identify was as "Alex in Bitters, Arkansas" @ 0:36:39 from the January 31 episode.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8253 on: March 21, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
Those movies were never the same after the death of Clara Peller...

Were any of us?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8254 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
In hour one/two right now. Great as usual. I love the Oberlin mockery. I've met a few folks from that college over the years and they produce some really annoying people (sorry to any alum on here, but you probably agree).

Deceased pro wrestler Larry Sweeney went there, and I hung out with him in what was one of the Top 5 most insane nights of my life. I saw him ash cigarettes in an open foot wound and wrestle three girls on matresses at an art kid loft in Philly. So he kind of made up for the other kids I met from there, so maybe it's okay after all.

Jon From Maplewood BROUGHT IT with the Cosell talk. The thought of him watching kids playing soccer in the background creeps me out beyond belief. I also loved the talk about Woody Paige and Skip Bayless and everyone else responsible for ESPN becoming really worthless.

Pudge's call is on. Gotta go!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8255 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
Pudge is something special.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8256 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
I just about died listening to the Pudge call.

"Squat Munches"

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8257 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
Gary's screenplay

"Yeah.......Mike Sucks."

Crusherkc

« Reply #8258 on: March 21, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »
Our long national nightmare is over: Zilch from hmitatine is permanently banned.  When he does get through something bad will happen to his red-marble vinyl album.  Two other higlights: on Old Brian Wilson - " 'In My Room'...what room?" and Gary the Squirrel mocking Mike's voice- "Yeah alright okay" "Yeah alright okay"

Feel better, Tom.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8259 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
"Daniel Goodblood and Anton Chigger"

There was sort of a disconcerting quality to all the Marfans who called into last night's show ... sumthin' just a little bit off.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8260 on: March 21, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Bad Ronald is bizarre and creepy for a network TV movie.

Bad Ronald(1974)

49.95?!

VHS tapes used to cost monster bucks back in the 80's.  It wasn't rare for them to go for $100 or so, no matter how terrible the movie.

I don't recall seeing studio released "priced to own" movies until circa 1983/84. Paramount had a line that included "Terms Of Endearment." "Flashdance" and "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan" priced at $25-$30 each. Studios could get $70+ per VHS copy because video rental stores were popping up everywhere and they accounted for the majority of VHS copies purchased. Video stores would sell previously viewed copies of the tapes once demand waned. The video store in the town where I grew up would pre-sell the previously viewed copies to recoup some of their investment. I remember pre-buying a pre-viewed copy of "Return Of The Jedi" for $40. That included rental of the tape for the first week it was out. I was renting "The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension" so often that the guy suggested I just plunk down $80 for my own copy as that would be cheaper in the long run than renting it every weekend for five bucks.

There was sort of a disconcerting quality to all the Marfans who called into last night's show ... sumthin' just a little bit off.

Every person I've encountered from Marfa is weird. It seems like the whole town is populated by people who would be right at home in a David Lynch flick.

What in the blazes was Van in DC's malfunction??? Tom made a comment about not wanting to play Fairport Covention and Sandy Denny and Van takes it as a personal insult. Three-plus hours he was running his mouth on Twitter calling Tom all manner of vile names and threatening to stop financially supporting WFMU unless they make Tom apologize on-air to Van. It was the Twitter equivalent of "The Feltdown."

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8261 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
What in the blazes was Van in DC's malfunction??? Tom made a comment about not wanting to play Fairport Covention and Sandy Denny and Van takes it as a personal insult. Three-plus hours he was running his mouth on Twitter calling Tom all manner of vile names and threatening to stop financially supporting WFMU unless they make Tom apologize on-air to Van. It was the Twitter equivalent of "The Feltdown."

I still think the notion of a "feltdown" is still WAY overblown.  Wally never went off like this and never threatened the station or anyone associated with it.  He mainly played along with the wrestler-type rivalry with Gregg's heel, and it led to Tom having a mentor-like chat with him, to help set him straight.  Equating it with any kind of true meltdown rings false.

-Zach (Big Z/Z-Man/Wally's Human/Whatever Else)

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #8262 on: March 21, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »

I still think the notion of a "feltdown" is still WAY overblown.  Wally never went off like this and never threatened the station or anyone associated with it.  He mainly played along with the wrestler-type rivalry with Gregg's heel, and it led to Tom having a mentor-like chat with him, to help set him straight.  Equating it with any kind of true meltdown rings false.

-Zach (Big Z/Z-Man/Wally's Human/Whatever Else)

Valid point.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8263 on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »

Larry Sweeney delivered some of the best promos ever. His stuff with Mitch Ryder and Robbie Ellis for Chikara was transcendent. Truly a great artist, athlete, and entertainer.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8264 on: March 21, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »
Equating it with any kind of true meltdown rings false.

Perhaps that is where the humor lies.  Get it?  *Get* it??
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."