Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818494 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8835 on: July 12, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
Jon from Maplewood = Shark hero and my hero

I am touched by people's comments.  Thank you.

Never trust DJ Eric around a sand shark.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

vicd

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8836 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
Jon from Maplewood = Shark hero and my hero

I am touched by people's comments.  Thank you.

Never trust DJ Eric around a sand shark.
My dad, who spends his retired days walking at the beach telling tourists that catch & release fishing is the way to go, loved your story. It was the first time he didn't politely nod, pretending to be interested, when I told him a story from The Best Show.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8837 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
Yeah, seriously JfM, that call alone should earn you supercaller status, if that were still a thing.

I don't care about Game of Thrones, but I feel like sending Tom a cranky email informing him that Breaking Bread really is as good as people say it is. (Yes, better than the Sopranos!)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8838 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »
You're off your rocker, Bryan. Breaking Bread wouldn't even exist without The Sopranos. All it did was shift the location and criminal activity and give the lead character cancer which, strangely, seems to be receding as a major plot point now that the show's a hit. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, the last episode of season 4 is where the whole series jumped the shark.
See God, Kai

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #8839 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:22 AM »
You're off your rocker, Bryan. Breaking Bread wouldn't even exist without The Sopranos. All it did was shift the location and criminal activity and give the lead character cancer which, strangely, seems to be receding as a major plot point now that the show's a hit. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, the last episode of season 4 is where the whole series jumped the shark.

good analysis

the thing thats frustrating about this modern age we're all coming to these things at such different times. Wish I had somebody to discuss BB with when I went thru a few seasons all at once.

RVARichmond

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8840 on: July 13, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
The worst caller, followed by the best, followed by the second worst.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8841 on: July 13, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »
Tom was spot on with his Breaking Bad assessment i would even go as far as to say that this season of Mad Men was getting  to be an act of repetition and there hasn't  been a really good episode of Louie this season until last nights Miami episode.

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8842 on: July 13, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »
That Zach kid from M** H***** needs to go the Aerosmith route and take a Permanent Vacation.  Everything that he is about is just the pits.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #8843 on: July 13, 2012, 02:59:48 PM »
1) Jon's story was truly epic. I told it to about 500 people. It's one of those things that I never want to see that I wish I saw.

2) Zach just stinks. I am so sorry I targeted him all those months back. He just won't let go. Just don't call in for a while, man.

3) I second the Sgt. Pepper's Hardcore Band reference.

4) I haven't seen Breaking Bread yet. But The Sopranos is responsible for all of the great TV we've had the past decade or so. It was the first and it's still the best. I'm not taking away from all the other beloved shows in the canon -- The Wire, Mad Men, etc. -- but The Sopranos has so many incredible characters and went in so many weird, unpredictable directions. The show was for a quarter of a season largely about a community of gay firefighters.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8844 on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
1) Jon's story was truly epic. I told it to about 500 people. It's one of those things that I never want to see that I wish I saw.

2) Zach just stinks. I am so sorry I targeted him all those months back. He just won't let go. Just don't call in for a while, man.

3) I second the Sgt. Pepper's Hardcore Band reference.

4) I haven't seen Breaking Bread yet. But The Sopranos is responsible for all of the great TV we've had the past decade or so. It was the first and it's still the best. I'm not taking away from all the other beloved shows in the canon -- The Wire, Mad Men, etc. -- but The Sopranos has so many incredible characters and went in so many weird, unpredictable directions. The show was for a quarter of a season largely about a community of gay firefighters.

I agree i tend to like The Sopranos a little more than The Wire.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8845 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
Yeah, Zach is really terrible. If he isn't self-promoting than he is talking nonsense or "acting all college", which is fine, but going on about how art is worthless and how there is fluoride in the water isn't something you bring to the table on a comedy show.

JON IN PHL

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8846 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Darren and Hammerhead are brothers? Bombshell.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8847 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
You're off your rocker, Bryan. Breaking Bread wouldn't even exist without The Sopranos.

Of course, The Sopranos paved the way for the current era of great tv. I don't really want to argue about it - which is why I was joking about sending Tom an angry email.

That being said, I never got into The Sopranos. I watched the first couple of seasons, which I liked OK, but I was already tired of mafia-themed entertainment at that point. Maybe it transcends that later on? But I didn't feel like spending 60 hours of my life to find out. Goodfellas has always seemed like the final word in that genre to me.

MarkS

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8848 on: July 14, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Second favorite, right after Spike has done the "Hello, Patton" and laugh at Tom's request:

Tom (laughing): Thank you, Spike. You're a good guy.
Spike: Thank you. I'm glad somebody approves.
Tom (stone-faced): Get off my phone.

I haven't heard this episode, but just reading it made me burst out with laughter.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8849 on: July 14, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »
the thing thats frustrating about this modern age

Oh, that's not all that's frustrating about it.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!