Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810636 times)

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #8925 on: July 26, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
Something tells me Terry's too good to be true.  Good show- reminded me of what FoNPR once said: "This is weird radio!"

Favorite moment: No-nonsense Vance telling tom Pink Floyd's The Wall isn't to be taken literally but metaphorically.  I'd love to see "The Real World" series set in Gary and Vance's apartment.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8926 on: July 26, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Has Tom quit his job to tour with Pink Floyd like a DeadHead.?
The Floyd fan community prefers to be called Ummagoombahs.

Also, real fans call them "The Pink Floyd." Even though Roger sneered and berated Rick Wright into changing it long ago.

Hey, Wes, does control freak Roger Waters' (imagined by me) cruel domination of substance-abusing good timer Rick Wright remind you of any other 70s band relationship?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Kid Pain

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8927 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
Vance > Gary.

I SAID IT!

I fancy myself a Vance man and I'm inclined to agree, but Gary's twitter feed is tough to top.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8928 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
Are you kidding, Greggulator? Gary was BRINGING IT this week when he was ranting about Ted Leo. I'd even go so far as to say it was the best part of the show, narrowly beating Terry from Woodstock.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8929 on: July 26, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
Are you kidding, Greggulator?

Eehhh, don't take it seriously, this is one of Greggulator's "this'll get a response" things, like "Y'all are just booing me 'cause you know how rich my dad is."

Meanwhile, I'm still a half hour from the end but I gotta say: ONE FOR THE BOOKS. This evening I was listening on a city bus. When Tom tried to convey his panic at sitting in the second row at Don Rickles' show by wheezing like Lou Costello, that was funny. When he said "I sounded like Terry from Woodstock HA HA HA HE HEE HEEE (etc.)" I let out a big "HAH!!!" that had an entire busload of passengers craning their necks back at me like WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT????

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8930 on: July 27, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
Spike's perfect storm of weirdos exposed thru the peephole to the dungeon.

But silliness aside ... I hope you are rapidly recovering from the gum surgery, Spike.

(So that's the section of the show I'm listening to now ... too much stuff to process).
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8931 on: July 27, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
... And Emo Phillips.

Yep. I was looking for someone to second my thought on that. Terry is like the more agitated, more distractable younger brother to Emo. If such a thing is possible.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8932 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
Spalding Grape.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8933 on: July 27, 2012, 01:38:39 AM »
"This is a different kind of show ... I don't know where I am!"

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #8934 on: July 27, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »
When Tom was talking about how intimidated he was at the Don Rickles show ("He's up there with the mic making fun of everybody."), all I could think about was this is probably how a lot of callers feel when they call The Best Show.

The hunter became the hunted.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Kormod

« Reply #8935 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
Mike, in the middle of a garbage dump, delivering a monologue ("Oh, what a tangled web we weave...") to a mannequin wearing a Jeremy Lin jersey.

Drew D

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8936 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
A funny little moment I got a kick out of was when he was doing a Yes imitation that wasn't a "duet", so he gave a crescendo of "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Greggulator

« Reply #8937 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
I wrote the "Vance > Gary" line after I heard Vance's brief appearance before putting his headphones back on.

Believe me, I love Gary. He has been a wonderful inclusion into The Best Show family. His rapport with Kurt B. (too lazy to spell out his name but ya'll know who I mean) was truly special, as was the song with Gentleman Jesse.

But a green three-eyed puppet who is a prog rock obsessive trumps everything else in my life at the current moment. Vance stole the early part of the year. I also may be biased because I had the honor of meeting Vance during my in-studio appearance, and my picture with him is the pride of my Facebook collection.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8938 on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
Mike, in the middle of a garbage dump, delivering a monologue ("Oh, what a tangled web we weave...") to a mannequin wearing a Jeremy Lin jersey.

The Bleep-house Poet is one for the books. The idea of him finding the trumpet and playing it last week killed me.

And I know it probably wasn't a trumpet, so so much for the books, I guess.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #8939 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
I wrote the "Vance > Gary" line after I heard Vance's brief appearance before putting his headphones back on.

Believe me, I love Gary. He has been a wonderful inclusion into The Best Show family. His rapport with Kurt B. (too lazy to spell out his name but ya'll know who I mean) was truly special, as was the song with Gentleman Jesse.

But a green three-eyed puppet who is a prog rock obsessive trumps everything else in my life at the current moment. Vance stole the early part of the year. I also may be biased because I had the honor of meeting Vance during my in-studio appearance, and my picture with him is the pride of my Facebook collection.
I'll second you. I love Gary, but he's burning a little too bright/hot. I relate more to Vance. There is nothing I like doing more than putting on the headphones. I want to talk to him about Kate Bush, and Prog dudes' flirtations with Reggae.
"Dad gets mad."