Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819086 times)

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9435 on: November 28, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
The Gar McDaniel call might be the most layered JW call of all time.  So much stuff to unpack there.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9436 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Can we nominate multiple people for the least funny person in America? If so, it has to be that collective of wads known as the AV Club comments section.

I never understand why people seem to single out AV Club comments as particularly egregious. Have you seen Youtube comments? Yahoo news story comments? There is an ocean of stupidity, inanity, and not funny but trying comment sections out there. Why pick on a single drop in that ocean?

At least AV Club comment section isn't racist, homophobic, sexist or worse like most of the internet.

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9437 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
Harry from Millburn once again sounded like the human Droopy Dog.  I used to get instantly bummed out when he'd call in but he's really got this weird low energy charm. 

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9438 on: November 28, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »
The Gar McDaniel call might be the most layered JW call of all time.  So much stuff to unpack there.

It's at least at the level of that Bruce Springsteen biographer from a year or so back.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9439 on: November 28, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
Can we nominate multiple people for the least funny person in America? If so, it has to be that collective of wads known as the AV Club comments section.

I never understand why people seem to single out AV Club comments as particularly egregious. Have you seen Youtube comments? Yahoo news story comments? There is an ocean of stupidity, inanity, and not funny but trying comment sections out there. Why pick on a single drop in that ocean?

At least AV Club comment section isn't racist, homophobic, sexist or worse like most of the internet.

I try not to read Internet comments, but if I have to guess, it's because AV Club comments come, at least theoretically, from "our people," as opposed to YouTube comments which come from illiterate, inhuman monsters of some sort, and Yahoo comments, which all come from angry people who just want to feel better than SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE for SOMETHING.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Greggulator

« Reply #9440 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
The Onion A/V Club comments combine NPR fan smugness with YouTube commenter self-hatred. That's the different for me.

You'll all be pleased to know that Tom and I completed a trade off-air. KD for Melo/Noah. This means nothing to almost everyone.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9441 on: November 28, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »
This means nothing to almost everyone.
Kid Dynamite was swapped for a city in Uruguay and a guy with an ark that has dinosaurs on it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Crusherkc

« Reply #9442 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
"My handprint...the same handprint that had caressed countless women and beaten the drums on records that will live for centuries is now imprinted across Frank Sinatra's face."

I would love to hear more from Gar.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9443 on: November 29, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
Jason was reminding me of his brother. It was pretty funny.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9444 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:05 PM »
I'm not singling this out as a "worst moment" by any means, but man, I am so far from understanding why Tom thinks that if you find something appealing in music that was recorded in, say, 1930, that means you want to go back to the plumbing system that prevailed in 1930. It's music!  It doesn't carry e. coli, OK?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #9445 on: November 30, 2012, 03:00:30 AM »
I'm not singling this out as a "worst moment" by any means, but man, I am so far from understanding why Tom thinks that if you find something appealing in music that was recorded in, say, 1930, that means you want to go back to the plumbing system that prevailed in 1930. It's music!  It doesn't carry e. coli, OK?

I caught West Nile Rogers Virus from a Chic record.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9446 on: November 30, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
What the hell was that Jason Woliner call about? Either I didn't get it or it wasnt for me.

Was it a bit? If so I'm confused because it wasn't particularly funny.

Is it a weird in-joke between him and Tom?

I don't buy his story as told on the show anyway. I'm not convinced Jason is that dumb. And yes I know that the website exists and you appear to be able to order the T-shirts. But that doesn't make any of this make any more sense to me.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9447 on: November 30, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
It was a hilarious bit. I am still wiping coffee from my office wall.

What the hell was that Jason Woliner call about? Either I didn't get it or it wasnt for me.

I don't buy his story as told on the show anyway. I'm not convinced Jason is that dumb. And yes I know that the website exists and you appear to be able to order the T-shirts. But that doesn't make any of this make any more sense to me.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #9448 on: November 30, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
I have been under the impression that we're witnessing a Kaufman-esque piece of comedy unfold. But I don't know for certain. After all, I'm not from Hollywood.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9449 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »

Please go to the bottom of twitter.com/JeShirt and read from the beginning, including the Tumblr posts.