Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819090 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9735 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
The H-Man actually was in the audience for an episode of The Steve Wilkos Show.  I forget how/why.  Might have been a college trip or something.  It was a "Who's The Father?" type of episode.

-Zach

Are there other types?

Quilombo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9736 on: March 02, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
also i thought it was hilarious that they mentioned All Sports Band. i found that LP at WRSU when i used to dj there, and i determined that it was only good if you played it at 45 RPM. a few of the songs on it are on youtube, but not "Hit-N-Run", which was the track i always played.

Dick Clark Interviews All Sports Band - American Bandstand 1982

Wait.... That was a real band?

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9737 on: March 02, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »
also i thought it was hilarious that they mentioned All Sports Band. i found that LP at WRSU when i used to dj there, and i determined that it was only good if you played it at 45 RPM. a few of the songs on it are on youtube, but not "Hit-N-Run", which was the track i always played.

unfortunately, yes.

i found this:

http://recordrobot.blogspot.com/2007/01/all-sports-band.html

the comments section gets pretty nuts.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9738 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
Alfonso Carey also played on this:

Sports and sexy ladies apparently didn't work either.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9739 on: March 04, 2013, 06:02:07 AM »
Zach--Yeah, you can only do it with podcasts and only with the Podcast app, not in iTunes.

You can still listen to podcasts in the music app on an iphone without that weird podcast app if you want to, like me. But you can't speed up anything else other than podcasts.
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9740 on: March 04, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Oh yes, the All Sports Band were all too real.  There used to be a YouTube clip of them playing Solid Gold.  The song was "Jet Set."  It was a "rock" number, sort of.  The excellent Roctober zine had an interview with their bassist (the football player): http://www.roctober.com/roctober/roc37.html.  You have to get the print version, but it's well worth it.  Unlike the lead singer, he sounds like a level-headed guy.  It's obvious he was a career musician who was willing to go along with the gimmick for the money.  Sadly for him, none was forthcoming.

(As a side note, I did weekly shows on WRSU between 1985 and 1992, and I never came across the All Sports Band's LP.  Probably for the best.)

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9741 on: March 04, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
here's the album:

and here they are in action:

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9742 on: March 04, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »

Wow. I also assumed this was just some ridiculous joke.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9743 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
Cross The All Sports Band with The Residents and you get the greasy funk of The Earons-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcd2NolmwCc

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9744 on: March 05, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Oh yes, the All Sports Band were all too real.  There used to be a YouTube clip of them playing Solid Gold.  The song was "Jet Set."  It was a "rock" number, sort of.  The excellent Roctober zine had an interview with their bassist (the football player): http://www.roctober.com/roctober/roc37.html.  You have to get the print version, but it's well worth it.  Unlike the lead singer, he sounds like a level-headed guy.  It's obvious he was a career musician who was willing to go along with the gimmick for the money.  Sadly for him, none was forthcoming.

(As a side note, I did weekly shows on WRSU between 1985 and 1992, and I never came across the All Sports Band's LP.  Probably for the best.)

i'm pretty sure it was a vintage promo copy, but it's entirely possible that someone after your time found it in a dollar bin somewhere and brought it to the station as a goof. we had a huge stash of wacky crap like that. i'll have to ask Ed Wong, he's still at the station, maybe he can drudge it up and play it!

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9745 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »
Cross The All Sports Band with The Residents and you get the greasy funk of The Earons-

Duane played this band on his WFMU show fairly recently and i loved it. apparently they all went by numbers instead of names, and they all had those space outfits.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9746 on: March 05, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »

Duane played this band on his WFMU show fairly recently and i loved it. apparently they all went by numbers instead of names, and they all had those space outfits.

.69 on bass. Could be Alfonso Carey, he had a penchant for costumes- All Sports Band, Village People, Ritchie Family...

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9747 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
"One of you creeps finally throws your Liz Lemon money my way."

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9748 on: March 06, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
I was a little disappointed at that snarky aside TS made about his listeners last night, which he quickly backtracked on: "Have you ever seen the people who listen to my show? Whoa boy..." or something like that :(

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9749 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »
I was a little disappointed at that snarky aside TS made about his listeners last night, which he quickly backtracked on: "Have you ever seen the people who listen to my show? Whoa boy..." or something like that :(

Don't take it personally, iago - that's an old trope.  Take it in the same sense that Mike takes all the sotto voce mumblings about replacing him - I think it's meant in the same spirit as those.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!