Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819114 times)

Defective

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9885 on: April 20, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
The one thing I don't like about Mad Men is Don Draper as Super Stud. Isn't it about time he starts to look like he's aging and passe? 
Not to get too far off topic, but they started writing Don as aging and passe last season.  Remember when he was backstage at the Stones concert?

The "problem" is it's probably incredibly difficult to make Jon Hamm look bad.
I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9886 on: April 20, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
The one thing I don't like about Mad Men is Don Draper as Super Stud. Isn't it about time he starts to look like he's aging and passe? 
Not to get too far off topic, but they started writing Don as aging and passe last season.  Remember when he was backstage at the Stones concert?

The "problem" is it's probably incredibly difficult to make Jon Hamm look bad.

True.

Purple Aki

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9887 on: April 20, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
A couple of weeks behind, but two dirtbags I thought were sure to make the list:

J Mascis and Pig Champion.

And also, anybody knows what's used to make the laser whip sounds?

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9888 on: April 21, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
I think they might actually be using laser quirts.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9889 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
the Best: The one thing I don't like about Mad Men is Don Draper as Super Stud. Isn't it about time he starts to look like he's aging and passe? 

But Mad Men without Don's constant copulating would be like Girls without Hannah's constant crapping. Screwing and shitting are their raison d'etre!
See God, Kai

DrCam

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9890 on: April 21, 2013, 03:46:24 PM »
As an Australian, I might be able to shed some light on why Kevin Smith's jokes were killing in that Netflix thing, which I also watched the start of recently in a dark moment of da Vinci Code-style self punishment.

To an outsider, it might have seemed like Smith was making incredibly broad, uninsightful observations about Australia to Australians who are already aware of all these things, and indeed he was. So what was the appeal to this audience of Australians?

An aspect of the Australian national psyche is what is known as the Cultural Cringe. There is a great deal of writing out in the ether about this element of Post-Colonial Theory, but essentially it boils down to a national obsession with what foreigners think of Australia and its people.

Also, every single person in that theatre was incredibly high.

Jetouellet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9891 on: April 21, 2013, 10:30:02 PM »
As an Australian, I might be able to shed some light on why Kevin Smith's jokes were killing in that Netflix thing, which I also watched the start of recently in a dark moment of da Vinci Code-style self punishment.

To an outsider, it might have seemed like Smith was making incredibly broad, uninsightful observations about Australia to Australians who are already aware of all these things, and indeed he was. So what was the appeal to this audience of Australians?

An aspect of the Australian national psyche is what is known as the Cultural Cringe. There is a great deal of writing out in the ether about this element of Post-Colonial Theory, but essentially it boils down to a national obsession with what foreigners think of Australia and its people.

I think Canada experiences that also. People get a little too excited whenever anything Canadian is referenced on an American TV show. I truly think we don't actually have a national identity, and we're all really self conscious about it but no one will admit it, and this is a way of trying to just grasp at any semblance of one.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9892 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »

I think Canada experiences that also. People get a little too excited whenever anything Canadian is referenced on an American TV show. I truly think we don't actually have a national identity, and we're all really self conscious about it but no one will admit it, and this is a way of trying to just grasp at any semblance of one.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. Even in America, everyone in the 48 states other than California and New York gets excited when TV shows or movies reference their home states.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9893 on: April 23, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »

Don't beat yourself up too badly. Even in America, everyone in the 48 states other than California and New York gets excited when TV shows or movies reference their home states.

Now you're just projecting.

Jetouellet

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9894 on: April 23, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »

Now you're just projecting.

Yeah, and home states are understandable. A Canadian city could be mentioned, and people will still cheer even if they've never been to that city. There was a Smartest Man in the World episode where Greg mentions an upcoming tour date in Edmonton, and then he asks the people who cheered where they were from, and they were from Saskatoon, and he could not fathom why they would be cheering.

JuiceOne

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9895 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »
On House once, the name of my hometown was mentioned in a toss-off line about House not caring whether someone was from "x place or London, Ontario" (because creator David Shore is from London) and it was on the front page of the fucking paper the next day.

More to the topic, tonight's show was incredible. The Dave Willis call was tops, and I was in tears listening to Tom go off on Vin Diesel.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9896 on: April 24, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »

Xanadu talk.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9897 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:34 AM »
The Best Shows from the past two months have been especially great. They've always been great before then of course.

But it does seem that something clicked, and all of a sudden, the callers became mostly good callers who give Tom the space he needs. And yet there are still just enough not-so-good callers to also give Tom the space he needs to appropriately riff on them, without them becoming this plague of headaches.  I really really love the momentum that The Best Show has these days. I hope I'm not the only one who's noticed!

Tonight:
Best: the return of Spike / the "These aren't just your Sims that you call friends?" riff / the masterful Spike gomp.
Can't think of a worst!

Miles

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9898 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:57 AM »
After a rough day yesterday, I was really looking forward to the BEST SHOW.
Often after (or during ) a long day of working with patients – Scharpling and Co. are oft the best mental decompression that I can find.
   Yesterday was so drawn out that I didn’t quite get to enjoy TBSOWFMU how I would normally like.
So this morning, I played the broadcast setting up here at work.
When Tom got on what best might be described as – the Boston Celtics rant, I was floored. 
F – U – N – N  - Y.
THAT was why I listened to the Best Show.
THAT is why I will always be a diehard FOT.
With so many other comics and podcast – you know where they are going. You see “the build”.
Scharpling is so all over the map. I think I broke my laffer. Genius.

On Paul Pierce – “ …you weird jawless wonder.”
The uniforms – “ worst uniform in the NBA  - looking like Shamrock Shakes”

Just what I needed this morning.
THEE BEST.

Kormodd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9899 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »
"It's hard being the Jello Man sometimes."

"[Selling jello shots] is the most profitable business there is."
Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it?
Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are?
Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't?
Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse?