Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818630 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #9945 on: May 09, 2013, 08:39:51 PM »
Loved Therese's high-school presentation on The Metamorphosis. Anybody can show The Cure's "Killing an Arab" video as a presentation on The Stranger. Showing it as a presentation on The Metamorphosis takes flair.

I think Mike is wrong that the second half of The Executioner's Song represents a fall-off. Mike, I re-read The Brothers Karamazov for the first time since college myself this winter. It holds up! You should do it!
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9946 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
There is a fair amount of misinformation being spread on this show.

Well, here is your chance to enlighten us, O wise one.
See God, Kai

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9947 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »
I think Mike is wrong that the second half of The Executioner's Song represents a fall-off. Mike, I re-read The Brothers Karamazov for the first time since college myself this winter. It holds up! You should do it!

Are you telling me the second half of The Executioner's Song is superior to the first half? If so, you're nuts!

Also, I never said I didn't like The Brothers Karamazov. I loved it when I read it in college. I just haven't re-read it since.
See God, Kai

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9948 on: May 10, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Well, here is your chance to enlighten us, O wise one.

The exterminator who called in cleared up the things that were setting off alarm bells in my head. I could add a couple of things. Encasing your mattress is a good idea provided you know what it will and won't accomplish. It will trap any bugs who are already in it until they die (NB: This can actually take more than a year!) and will keep any additional ones from getting into it. The primary benefit, though, is that you won't have to replace your mattress. It won't get other bugs so discouraged that they decide to leave your home; they'll just hang out in other places where they may be even harder to locate. For this reason, it's best not to encase your box spring, if you have one. If bugs get into your home, they're going to live someplace, and it's actually better to have them congregate in a relatively confined area (at first--eventually they'll reproduce to the point where they need to spread out.  You want to have dealt with them before this point), and the box spring is cheaper to replace than a mattress.

Also, if you think you have the problem licked but aren't sure, or want to know early if they return, there are some monitoring devices you can get that will alert you to their presence in your home. The most sophisticated ones cost hundreds of dollars, but there are also some low-tech ones that are very inexpensive.  See the Resources section of bedbugger.com.

This post has been brought to you by Pedantica, Inc.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9949 on: May 10, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
Are you telling me the second half of The Executioner's Song is superior to the first half? If so, you're nuts!

No, I don't think it's better, but I do think it's an asset to the book as a whole. In the second half, the social overview becomes larger, with the Gilmore saga being placed in the broad context of modern media-saturated America.  By the way, another book about Gary Gilmore, Shot in the Heart by his brother Mikal Gilmore, is kick-ass from beginning to end.

Also, I never said I didn't like The Brothers Karamazov. I loved it when I read it in college. I just haven't re-read it since.

No, I heard you say you liked it and that you were considering re-reading it. I was encouraging you to do so.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9950 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Paydirt crushed it on the show from last week. Every bit of that call was gold. Plus I love the idea of calling from a stair well and trying to avoid co-workers and the inevitable questions they would have.

Also, Cosmic, the artist from Cornwall awake at 4am doing art stuff. Live that stoner Cornwall stereotype bro. I jest, I dig when Brits dial in.

Fred still rules! His Rumours crashcourse was great. (T: "You know this song, right" / F: "Nope")

The Fleetwood Mac talk was valid. Buckingham is the man.

Now to catch up on Mike and Therese....
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9951 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »
Listened to another great Depravity's Rainbow. Wish I had heard it live. I would have loved to have gotten Therez' and Mike's reaction to my story about getting crabs from a college co-worker in what was only my second...em...experience.

Next time, Mike, next time.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9952 on: May 11, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
I was unnerved by the weird call about the gym jacuzzi...that guy said three different ages: six, sixteen, and then sixty. the whole call was a little off and slightly creepy.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9953 on: May 11, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
Paydirt crushed it on the show from last week. Every bit of that call was gold. Plus I love the idea of calling from a stair well and trying to avoid co-workers and the inevitable questions they would have.

Also, Cosmic, the artist from Cornwall awake at 4am doing art stuff. Live that stoner Cornwall stereotype bro. I jest, I dig when Brits dial in.

Fred still rules! His Rumours crashcourse was great. (T: "You know this song, right" / F: "Nope")

I am an unabashed Paydirt from Ttasmania fan. I like the, erm, secondary (but still valuable!) callers who bring something to the show. Fred's on that line. Jon from Maplewood. The sort-of departed dynamic duo of Frank from Weehawken and Mike in Manhattan.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9954 on: May 14, 2013, 05:45:22 PM »
PIZZA BURGERS

Dale from North Dakota

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9955 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »
I would totally fund "The Invisible Hipster"  :D

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9956 on: May 15, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »
I would totally fund "The Invisible Hipster"  :D

Same here. I think a Kickstarter campaign needs to happen.

Australia Nick

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9957 on: May 15, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »

I am an unabashed Paydirt from Ttasmania fan. I like the, erm, secondary (but still valuable!) callers who bring something to the show. Fred's on that line. Jon from Maplewood. The sort-of departed dynamic duo of Frank from Weehawken and Mike in Manhattan.

Bumped into Paydirt in a pub in Melbourne when he recognised my WFMU T-shirt. Ridiculous coincidence really since both of us were just visiting. I'm a fan of his sincerity (and not just because he's from the same country).

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9958 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:47 AM »
A  funny and cranky  episode.  My favourite part was the idea of Mike trolling Robert Blake so he can go crazy. Worst part was when that jerk who will not be named got through.

JpHasson

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9959 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »
I haven't Heard the whole show yet but Jason from Alabamas call is probably going to be the nadir.