Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810617 times)

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10035 on: May 30, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
It seems like the caliber of callers has really plummeted recently, but I'm a relative newbie. The only caller that regularly seems to rise to the occasion is the guy from Honolulu. Between him and Obama, Hawaii must be the place where ice water runs in the veins...I don't know how you can be so laid back calling in like that.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10036 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
It seems like the caliber of callers has really plummeted recently, but I'm a relative newbie. The only caller that regularly seems to rise to the occasion is the guy from Honolulu. Between him and Obama, Hawaii must be the place where ice water runs in the veins...I don't know how you can be so laid back calling in like that.

And I don't mean long time callers although I have DEFINITE opinions about them, really just the first time callers are either super spooky or just losing personalities

Topher

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10037 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »

And I don't mean long time callers although I have DEFINITE opinions about them, really just the first time callers are either super spooky or just losing personalities
As a long time listener, I've found (and Tom has commented) that the summer callers are the worst. Tom has posited that it's because school is out. Tom being annoyed by callers (with some terrible exceptions, like those based in Richmond) is as great a part of the show as are the great callers, the regular callers, the Newbridge callers, the music, and the chi-ku. I wouldn't get rid of any of them.
Yeah.  Why?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10038 on: May 30, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »
Bad callers can make great radio moments. I laughed, and also felt a certain pathos, during the "Frankie Teardrop Challenge--with all the challenge removed!" call.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Honolulu Fred

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10039 on: May 31, 2013, 03:49:10 AM »
@Topher Bu-bu-bu-but I live in a perpetual summer? :-\

@Iago Obama's a homie, raised down the street from where I've lived most of my life in Honolulu.  My mom used to take care of his grandma's prescriptions and still services his half-sister, Maya, and her family.  I will fucking fight anybody on the street who talks that birther shit to me. *cough height/weight/reach permitting cough*

@Alabamy Rocket: Absolutely, feisty Tom is legit.  Keeps us all on on our toes :)

I don't know anything about a lot of the stuff Tom references because my entire family is basically 1st and 2nd generation immigrants, but it really speaks to Tom's universal appeal when I try explain it to some of my friends with the help of Google and they start busting out laughing when something like Pig Pen shows up on image search.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10040 on: May 31, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
We should also point out when we totally agree with a position he advocates on the show. For me it's: Carl Newman writes the best songs currently being written.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10041 on: May 31, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »
I wear my Hawaiian (or is it Hawai'ian?) "Keep the Country Country" green t-shirt that my roomie got me in honor of Fred from Honolulu.  "Dawg loves his fajitas"  Dawg: the kind of guy who will skip out paying the check but will return to the same restaurant over and over.

"Not on beach day"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Honolulu Fred

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10042 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
@KC Dude, if you only knew how quickly Bostonians go native when they get here.   A former hardcore promoter from Dorchester is now prosecutor of Kaua'i.  We bonded over our mutual hatred of Dawg and our love of the Cro-mags.  The 'okina ( ' ) is unnecessary in the romanized form.  Also, I don't give a shit.  Wear that vaguely xenophobic shirt proudly, my good man!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10043 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
(After Tom does lengthy riff on Pigpen "walking the dog")

Mike: "In fairness to Pigpen, I believe he said 'I walk in the door.'"
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10044 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Michigan scum punk Smelly Mustafa moved to Hawaii got into realty. Pretty sure he ain't no sell out though.

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10045 on: June 01, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
The Grateful Dead section was the highlight of the year thus far I think.

I haven't listened to the show yet, buthe highlight? It's better than "The Invisible Hipster" (which I think could be an occasional running bit on the show. Maybe Wurster should do something with it)?

RickInSaltLake

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10046 on: June 01, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »
I haven't heard the whole show yet, but I think Fred should call up with Dog the Bounty Hunter stories more often...

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10047 on: June 01, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
I think "Fred's Dog the Bounty Hunter Stories" should be a continuing show within the show! Innovative! Multi-platfawm! SYN-AH-GEE!

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10048 on: June 02, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »

I haven't listened to the show yet, buthe highlight? It's better than "The Invisible Hipster" (which I think could be an occasional running bit on the show. Maybe Wurster should do something with it)?

I like when funny things like "The Invisible Hipster" just happen organically and aren't run into the ground as running bits.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10049 on: June 02, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

I like when funny things like "The Invisible Hipster" just happen organically and aren't run into the ground as running bits.

To me, that's one of the best parts about the show, the way that things are created live (live painting). It's a quality that's been very consistently there, and it still keeps evolving and being interesting.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!