Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2810577 times)

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10350 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the video.  I found another one where Paul freaks out in a similar fashion, but it was a more recent one (with Tommy and Eric.)  I do have to give KISS credit - they have always seemed to maintain, or infrequently go beyond, a PG-13 level of stage banter.

You should track down the Animalize Live Uncensored video from 1984.  I assume it's on Youtube.  It's the R-rated ne plus ultra of Paul Stanley's stage banter, and it is disgusting.  And hilarious.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10351 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Nixon liking The Carpenters doesn't make me like them any less. Imagine how much worse December radio would be without their occasional gems.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10352 on: September 10, 2013, 11:34:26 PM »
Nixon liking The Carpenters doesn't make me like them any less.

Personally? I would phrase this as "Nixon liking The Carpenters couldn't make me like them any less."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10353 on: September 11, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »
It was an odd way to put it. To clarify, I like The Carpenters.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10354 on: September 11, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Best from last night for me? Probably when Alderman Shorter called Tom "The Creampuff Kid," that and the sound of choo-choo train coming to kill Tiny Alderman Shorter.

Oh, and also this exchange:

"Maiming Squad? Okay I'll keep my eyes peeled"

"Yeah, you better peel them tight."

AND last night's sound collage was AMAZING, literally mezmerizing.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10355 on: September 11, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
Loved "Porcupine Pie" making a comeback via the Great Audio Collage of '13 (now coming in at 19 minutes- a whole LP side!).  Brings me back to when I started to first listen to the Best Show. 

"Do you have puppy dawgs hee hee hee", together with "Hi I'm Dennis" and "Bayonne..." is sure building a case for AP Mike's committment to an institution. I think it's Tom's leverage over him to protect his legacy.

And I loved that last turf-out call of the night.  When big-time Romans were honored and triumphs were held in their name, there was always a slave holding a wreath of laurel over big-time Roman's head whispering in his ear "glory is fleeting, you are mortal".  THAT'S what that call was, after a triumphant show.

"....and there goes Mike" chikoo
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10356 on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
These audio collages or "comedy jams," as Mike calls them, seem to get better with each succeeding week. Last night's was particularly great.

The best moment for me though was getting two shoutouts from Tom on the air. I don't think he found either of my tweets to be particularly amusing, but still, what an honor.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10357 on: September 11, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
Worst moment was that creepy "Have you worked out lately" call. Though I did love Tom's response, "Have you bombed on a radio show lately?"

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10358 on: September 11, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
It was an odd way to put it. To clarify, I like The Carpenters.

No, it was a perfectly clear way to make your point. Mine was to make a different point, which is that I would rather eat Chuck Woolery's ear wax than listen to The Carpenters.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

heliumsocket

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10359 on: September 12, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »
I'd say that Music Mike's Flashback Favorites introduction to "The Worst That Could Happen" is worthy of the Frank Teardrop sound collage.

Brooklyn Bridge - Worst That Could Happen - [original STEREO]

Andrew F

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10360 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:20 AM »
"This is how the culture decays: one Red Hot Chilli Peppers record at a time."
"I'LL SAY IT
YOU'LL HEAR IT
YOU'LL DO IT
I'LL GET IT
YOU'LL LEARN IT
I'LL LIVE WITH IT
AND YOU'LL DIE WITHOUT IT."

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10361 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
I'd say that Music Mike's Flashback Favorites introduction to "The Worst That Could Happen" is worthy of the Frank Teardrop sound collage.

jesus christ, how many people are in this group!?  pause, tally...a baker's ten. enough for a jury. OR, the surviving members will be standing before a jury if Tom had his druthers.  Yes, an excellent addition to the Collage- Music Mike.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10362 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
That's a real solid 'stache-quotient among those Brooklyn Bridge dudes.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10363 on: September 14, 2013, 02:42:07 AM »
The Brooklyn Bridge segment reminded me of a harsh George Jones song called "Worst of Luck".
George's delivery is impeccable as always, but man is the theme unforgivable- to quote it:

May the troubles that you have all be big ones
I hope every dress he buys you turns to blue
May your life with him be one big mess of heartaches
Oh, here's wishing all the worst of luck to you.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10364 on: September 15, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
Working my way through old eps and I gotta say, regardless of the apparent falling out between them, Tom and PFT had great rapport on these shows--really entertaining