Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819001 times)

placeholder

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10365 on: September 16, 2013, 04:51:39 PM »
I'm listening back to the 8/2/2011 episode of Depravity's Rainbow and losing it.  AP Mike is cracking himself up by saying Mask is in the "deformed pariah" genre and saying he'd have called it "the dude with the face" or "the dude with the monster face."

Salut, AP Mike.
"I came into the room/You didn't know I was The Creature."

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10366 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:39 PM »
I've got to put the breakdown/takedown of Worst That Could Happen under the BEST category.  Just like Young Girl, it is just pure, simple, classic Best Show.  Just Tom going off on something that has probably flown under the radar, where you've heard it before, a million times (as someone who grew up on CBS FM's oldies, I know I have), but never put too much thought into the lyrics and their real meanings and implications, it had me genuinely laughing out loud on my way home from work, listening to the podcast.  I even must have been laughing after getting out of the car, around 11:35 PM, as I approached my door, as my wife asked if I was laughing when I got inside, having heard me.  I don't laugh out loud like that enough, so when something does get me to, I really appreciate it.

After hearing the segment, I almost want the song more, so I was dissappointed to hear iTunes doesn't have the proper version.  Maybe I'll hit up Amazon's digital selection.  Also, I looked it up on Wikipedia to see what was said about the song.  It apparently has shared roots with another old Best Show song target, MacArthur Park.  Apparently written about the same girl, Susan, that Jimmy Webb had a relationship.  Another interesting nugget from the entry really caught my attention, though:

"The song appeared on the list of songs deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel following the September 11, 2001 attacks specifically and inexplicably listing the Johnny Maestro & The Brooklyn Bridge version, but not the 5th Dimension version, despite their note-for-note similarity."  It really puts things in perspective, eh, Johnny Maestro?  Maybe there are truly worse things.  Also, from there, I went to the article for that list and found this:

"The list contains 165 songs, including all songs by Rage Against the Machine as well as certain songs recorded by multiple artists (for example "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan and the same song by Guns N' Roses).[4]"  This was only 1 of 165 songs deemed inappropriate to play, following that tragedy.  Also, I think all songs by Rage Against The Machine should be on a list to not be played, in general, as a side-note.

-Zach

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10367 on: September 17, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
Oh, also in the BEST column: "I'm gonna get SQUEEEEEESHED!".  Did anybody else catch (albeit later, on repeat listening) the foreshadowing of Alderman SHORTER'S fate, right there in his own name?

-Zach

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10368 on: September 17, 2013, 10:35:20 PM »
Oh, also in the BEST column: "I'm gonna get SQUEEEEEESHED!".  Did anybody else catch (albeit later, on repeat listening) the foreshadowing of Alderman SHORTER'S fate, right there in his own name?

-Zach

Yes. The throwaway shrink ray topic wasn't so throwaway after all. There are levels and *levels.*
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10369 on: September 18, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »
Great show last night.  I would think for someone who has managed to create some sort of credibility, Mark Wahlberg's ipod would be repulsive. 

Good call from the guy who mentioned he had been BadCo'ed before--and even though you knew what was coming next, still great.

Tom's Comedy Jam! was brilliant again...

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10370 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »
Best and worst: "Dave from Boston" in an unprecedented event, beats getting Bad Companied after going on an unfocused rant about Donald Trump and Big Jim ("Hank") from Under the Dome.

Just like the egg inside the mini-dome.

Also, I think any NFL pre/post game panelist would have an awful ipod.  Dan Marino must have the Ace Ventura soundtrack and a couple of Shaquille O'Neal albums.   

BTW: what's with people asking you if you like a show, you answer 'seen it once, not for me', they respond 'what are you crazy? that's a great show!'?  I'm relistening to the show and I'm at the call from south Philly last night.  Berating Tom cuz he didn't care for 'Firefly'.  Why are Josh Weedon fans the biggest culprits at doing this?  Some people do not care for his brand of snarky/meta-ironic/pop-cultural referencing sci-fi actioners.  From 'Buffy' to 'Cabin in the Woods'- booooo!  Tom played it right.  "Okay I'll give it another chance"  That will stop the pestering.  I did the same for the Avengers: "Oh I was in a bad mood when I saw it, I'm sure I will like it when I see it again on video"  I was in a bad mood because of watching that movie.  I saw one episode of 'Firefly': Buck Rogers with updated special effects and slightly edgier wise cracks. So what?  Sorry, Weedon fans touch a button in me.

NERDS!
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10371 on: September 18, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
Joss Whedon fans are the worst evangelists of his work ever.  They are the reason my wife will never assent to watch Firefly with me.  Second place goes to my fellow Radiohead fans.

On another note, I hate to admit this but I get really excited when Tom gets James'ed.  I hate "James" himself because he's such a putz, but I always hope Tom will figure out it's him before he gets James'ed and will James him again. 

YuriDedman

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10372 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »
"Get in the cage, Mike."

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10373 on: September 18, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
I could only imagine the nightmare A Mumford and Sons in Space Concept album would be.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10374 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
"Get in the cage, Mike."

I really think The American Ruse should be installed side-by-side with the next David Blaine stunt.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10375 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
I know who has the worst iPod in showbiz, because I've been briefed on its contents many times.

Andy Breckman.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

TheyGotEmma

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10376 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
Best and worst: "Dave from Boston" in an unprecedented event, beats getting Bad Companied after going on an unfocused rant about Donald Trump and Big Jim ("Hank") from Under the Dome.

Just like the egg inside the mini-dome.

Also, I think any NFL pre/post game panelist would have an awful ipod.  Dan Marino must have the Ace Ventura soundtrack and a couple of Shaquille O'Neal albums.   

BTW: what's with people asking you if you like a show, you answer 'seen it once, not for me', they respond 'what are you crazy? that's a great show!'?  I'm relistening to the show and I'm at the call from south Philly last night.  Berating Tom cuz he didn't care for 'Firefly'.  Why are Josh Weedon fans the biggest culprits at doing this?  Some people do not care for his brand of snarky/meta-ironic/pop-cultural referencing sci-fi actioners.  From 'Buffy' to 'Cabin in the Woods'- booooo!  Tom played it right.  "Okay I'll give it another chance"  That will stop the pestering.  I did the same for the Avengers: "Oh I was in a bad mood when I saw it, I'm sure I will like it when I see it again on video"  I was in a bad mood because of watching that movie.  I saw one episode of 'Firefly': Buck Rogers with updated special effects and slightly edgier wise cracks. So what?  Sorry, Weedon fans touch a button in me.

NERDS!

I agree with this-- although I'm very guilty of pestering people to listen to the Best Show.

My sister did finally convince me to watch Firefly. I thought it was mostly just okay.

And she still has not listened to any of TBSOWFMU. SIGH!

voivod

• Plantar Fasciitis

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10378 on: September 19, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »
Mike's laughter throughout the show last night was great - loved his cracking up when Tom dumped the creepy "Top Cat" guy.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10379 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
I was very happy to hear James is still alive and that he did not drown in his own sweat.

I might be the only one, but I love when he calls every 11 months.