Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2819038 times)

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10500 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
Back in April IFC ordered a pilot script for STUPID LIFE. There has been no publicly-available news on the script since then.

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2013/04/ifc-unveils-a-development-slate-of-11-scripted-comedies
IFC has ordered the following scripts:
 . . .
STUPID LIFE
Previously announced as A Bad Idea I’m About to Do, this show’s script is based on comedian Chris Gethard’s (The Chris Gethard Show, The Other Guys, This American Life) recent autobiographical book of the same name. Tom Scharpling (The Best Show on WFMU, Monk) is series executive producer and co-creator. Gethard and Scharpling are co-writing the pilot script.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Topher

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10501 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »
I hope everyone here and everyone who listens keeps giving to WFMU. The Best Show always raised a ton of money for the station, and I hope its absence doesn't mean bad things for such an amazing station.

But let's be honest....  WFMU is going to take a massive hit.  The Best Show is easily their #1 fundraising show.  Without it, their budget gets a whole lot smaller.
Well, their budget has basically always been the bare minimum that they need to stay on the air, so I'm definitely worried.

Keep giving!
Yeah.  Why?

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10502 on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
Here are things about what The Best Show means to me:

1) So one random night, Tom starts talking about my basketball podcast. Out of nowhere. He had tweeted support about us once before. But then -- wham -- crazy. Then fast-forward a little bit later and Tom throws my name out completely randomly as a potential new protege. I only exchanged a few tweets w/ Tom over the years. I don't think Tom and my brother even met yet. Just absolutely insane to hear someone you revere mention you on your favorite comedy show. One of the true thrills of my life.

2) The whole protege/heel turn/etc. era of my life came during a sorta difficult period. Professionally, I was at my peak. I was working in NYC as a reporter for the leading trade publication about the energy industry. This was seriously crazy to land at this place. I've been a business/finance reporter working my way up to a place like that. My MA program was also international studies based and my academic field was energy economics. So many of my co-workers had various degrees from Ivy League schools or spoke multiple languages or ran independent newspapers in third world countries. It was really intimidating and scary but I still did it.

But it came at a sacrifice. I live in Philly. That commute is a BEAST and also pricey. So I spent half my week living with my parents in North Jersey. I'm married and have a dog and a house and a social life. You can just imagine the stresses placed on that. It wasn't bad, and I've been in a lot worse places emotionally, but the amount of fun I was having with things was drastically reduced.

My entrance into The Best Show Community came during all of this. It was the most fun I had during that time period. I met so many people and it was just a total blast. I now live and work back in Philly but TBS continues to be a big part of my life.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10503 on: October 30, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
The Sports Uncle

Corman

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10504 on: October 30, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
I barely ever post on these ol' boards but I've been a listener for a full-on decade now. As somebody said above the news is sad but not surprising. Tom's made it pretty clear the show was living on borrowed time since his 2010 sabbatical.

For most of my life I lived in a cultural wasteland in Eastern Washington and the show became my gateway to cool stuff and great comedy. At one point there would be no man or beast who could keep me from a wi-fi connection and three Tuesday night hours of my schedule to give to Tom. Since moving to Los Angeles nearly three years ago I've listened to the show live less and less frequently (but never missed a podcast), mainly because I now have quite a few options for what to do on a Tuesday night instead of sitting in my room cursing that I didn't live in NY/NJ or LA when Tom's guests promoted their shows.

I posted a big soppy thank you to Tom on these boards during the show's 10th anniversary, but I'll do one again. Thank you so much Tom. You were my Howard Stern, and I mean that in the best possible way. You created a whole universe of in-jokes and references (but made it so new people could get in on the joke), used the medium of radio to its fullest advantage, and, like many others, inspired me to follow my own creative path. I may be a little sad, but I have my Marathon momentos, I got GOMPed and gave a bumbling fangasm of an intro to Jackson Publick for his Best Show interview, and I have my authentic FOT card. Tom deserves a break after crushing it for 13 straight years. Equal thanks to Wurster (for being one half of the act), AP Mike (for making it run smooth as butter), and all the callers (be they friend or Bad Company). 

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10505 on: October 30, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Michael K.'s call was probably the most cringe-inducing Michael K. call of all time.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10506 on: October 30, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
The show with Chris Gethard is not happening. IFC chose not to move forward with it. Too bad, the script is one of my favorite things ever and working with Chris was an absolute dream.

Tom.

Defective

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10507 on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
Thank you Tom.

This had to be a gut-wrenching decision but if you made it, it's time.  I'm one of many who would be happy to see you one day crowned the King of Paid Entertainment.
I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Nicholas Tanek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10508 on: October 30, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Good luck Tom! I will miss you.  You and everyone at The Best Show

In my novel, there is a major section of the book about WFMU and The Best Show.   Now that the show is ending, the section is even more meaningful.

http://thecoolestway.com
http://www.amazon.com/Coolest-Way-Kill-Yourself/dp/1478701870/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383162220&sr=1-1&keywords=the+coolest+way+to+kill+yourself

Thank you Tom! Thank you for everything.
Read

The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00GUSAX7G

Chipped Black Nail Polish
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00WUNS58O

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10509 on: October 30, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
I know Tom's probably been absolutely bombarded, but I'd just like to put this out there before I forget:

I personally would love to see him team up down the line with Jason Sims and start their own, ad-driven, podcast channel/stream/network/whatever.

If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10510 on: October 30, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
The show with Chris Gethard is not happening. IFC chose not to move forward with it. Too bad, the script is one of my favorite things ever and working with Chris was an absolute dream.

Tom.

I wonder if they are going to California still? I think living in L.A. for a few years sounds pretty good (as long as the Big One doesn't hit then)

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10511 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
The Best Show got me through law school and helped me through some lonely times when I was away from my then-girlfriend, now-wife. I spent a long time listening to every show in the archive and the show changed how I thought about comedy and radio.

I found it harder to listen live when I moved to the east coast--in Colorado it started at 6 pm.  So I sort of fell off the boards and the chat.  But the podcast is a highlight of my week, and I think the show has been funnier than ever recently.

So, the show means a lot to me.  I feel honored to have met Tom, as well as other members of the Best Show community like Terre T and AP Mike as well as many great FOTs.

ColbyCheese

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10512 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »
... the show became my gateway to cool stuff and great comedy...

I completely agree. Tom's turned me on to so much great music and so many funny people. The show's had such a great impact on me.

Thanks for everything you do, Tom! We're all pulling for you.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10513 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10514 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
those playlists of what he plays at the start of each show are like a fucking goldmine.