Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2818839 times)

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #10995 on: February 18, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
I figured the Patti Smith question would be something about New Jersey.  The Humble Pie question was much, much worse - and yet relatable.

Moments I wish I could take back: at least one-third of all musician interviews I've ever done.  It's all too easy to feel like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10996 on: February 18, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »
The Monroe call was great. I really like the rate of crazy stuff thrown into the calls right now and I really missed the creepy "YESSSSSSSSSSSS" endings.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10997 on: February 18, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
Great show and first time I've listened live. I actually (very nervously) called in to the half hour of power about meeting Adam Ant, though if you Listen to it,  I realized after that it was early 90s, not late 80s like I said. ..calling in to radio shows is nerve wracking Business!
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

tbennett

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10998 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
The Monroe call was great. I really like the rate of crazy stuff thrown into the calls right now and I really missed the creepy "YESSSSSSSSSSSS" endings.

The mention of the 'Crimson Visitor' was deeply weird and funny.

Wes

« Reply #10999 on: February 18, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »
Best: TOPIC ON THE TABLE! Tom throwing out a topic was the only thing missing from the show since its return, and it came back in a great way last night. I have always loved the way the topics get set-up by a Tom story and then let him guide the callers (and steamroll the ones who can't figure out how to get out of the way) over the rest of the episode. Some of my favorite "only Tom"/"only on the Best Show" highlights come from moments driven by an official topic.

Also best: "Yeah, but I'm just a kid from the streets. You have the Ear of the Nation!" Perfect line, perfect delivery. Plus, I love it any time a Newbridge caller reveals himself to be an avid listener of the show by referring to past callers/topics/discussions. Just the thought of all these maniacs in one town happily listening to what they honestly believe is a high school radio/CB show is one of the great conceits of Newbridge.

Yeah, that was a great episode.
This may be the year I will disappear.

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11000 on: February 18, 2015, 11:50:15 AM »
The 'Ol Master Painter.

"Did you start necking during the movie?"

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11001 on: February 18, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
what's the video of the old lady in court that Tom mentioned?

edit: nevermind i was only part way through listening, i'm dumb!
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

mackro

« Reply #11002 on: February 18, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »
LOVED last night's episode.

The Newbridge call is definitely classic.  It's one of the few calls where the ending (which I won't give away) makes it really unclear what really happened, and a lot of classic Newbridge caller tropes came back in a riduculous way, while continuing with the recent ones.

Best Aside From Newbridge:
- Tom's Patti smith story and topic.  GUH!  So gutting because I've had several moments like this in my life. (I would've called in if I hadn't used the same story for a different topic in a call I made years ago to the Best Show. Hint: It involved The Dating Game.)
- The callers with the Nick Cave and Mike D stories, mainly for Tom talking his way through the minds of Nick Cave and Mike D, hatching out the clear awkwardness.  GREAT topic.
- the first call with the Vancouver guy asking Tom for kids hockey music
- The King Crimson talk.  It's hard to call in with an angle to get Tom to talking about King Crimson without being so obviously baiting. I've been trying to frame such a question myself, and I can't find a question that will work well yet.  I hope Tom just makes a topic out of King Crimson one show and the KC show he saw.

Worst:
- Now, the CALL / CALLER was great for this, but the story about the Survivor guy/teacher was just so facepalming.

EDIT: I think i nailed down what made the subject of the latter call so bad... Harmony Korine could make a movie out of this guy.. like Gummo style. It wasn't just facepalming. It was creepy in an extremely "typical dude" way... I can't describe it.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11003 on: February 18, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Having a topic on the table put this episode so over for me. Wurster's singing and the BeeGees runner also continues to destroy me. I'll also echo my love for King Crimson. That was the first band that truly nailed the genre for me and I can't even imagine what it would be like seeing them live. AND, the collage is coming back?! It must be Christmas

"I'm PAINTING a picture here!" Tom was on the top of his game this week. I can't wait to hear this week's Half Hour of Power. I'm already considering changing my handle on here Jefferson from Texas, but I fear that would give me yet another nickname for life (my last name is Partridge so no one I grew up with knew my first name was Justin).
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11004 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
Having a topic on the table put this episode so over for me. Wurster's singing and the BeeGees runner also continues to destroy me. I'll also echo my love for King Crimson. That was the first band that truly nailed the genre for me and I can't even imagine what it would be like seeing them live. AND, the collage is coming back?! It must be Christmas

"I'm PAINTING a picture here!" Tom was on the top of his game this week. I can't wait to hear this week's Half Hour of Power. I'm already considering changing my handle on here Jefferson from Texas, but I fear that would give me yet another nickname for life (my last name is Partridge so no one I grew up with knew my first name was Justin).

I'm pretty sure it was Jeffton at first then became Jefferton but either way you gotta change it.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Gleepglop

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11005 on: February 18, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
The BillyCrystalDUI tweets must have been one of the most confusing phenomena on the Internet last night.

myrna loy

« Reply #11006 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
Mr. Best Show when he is indignant to the callers who aren't regular

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11007 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
Re Rollins Band and "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker:" scroll down to see what they played in the encore!

http://thatsthethingaboutthat.blogspot.com/2011/03/wm3-benefit-show-rollins-band-wkeith.html

This took about five minutes of Googling.  Henry is a LIAR.

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11008 on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »
Bull -

There would've been one last night. You can thanks iTunes for making my music disappear as I was prepping the show.

THE COLLAGE WILL RETURN

Tom.

That's the best bad news ever.

noah

« Reply #11009 on: February 18, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
"It would be like if my name was Up Down, and then my nickname is The Middle" - Tom
"Up "The Middle" Down" - Caller

Great call.