Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 917386 times)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #1965 on: September 07, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
I'm still pissed at Wayne Coyne for ripping off Peter Gabriel.

I would love to see Coyne's ball get picked up by a sky hook attached to a helicopter, and then subsequently dropped into the middle of the Pacific.

I am still pissed that Peter Gabriel ripped off Jackie Chan.

Operation Condor - Zorb ball scene

Thank God that ball's impervious to spears.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1966 on: September 07, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
I'm still pissed Jackie Chan ripped off The Prisoner -

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1967 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

I'm still pissed off Bubble Boy ripped off Tobey Maguire.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1968 on: September 08, 2010, 01:12:18 AM »
Dear Atheists: We get it. You think you're smarter than everyone else. So why can't you understand that when you discuss your views on religion, you're just as annoying as the religious people you look down on.

I hate religion, but I also hate atheists.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1969 on: September 08, 2010, 06:50:59 AM »
Dear Atheists: We get it. You think you're smarter than everyone else. So why can't you understand that when you discuss your views on religion, you're just as annoying as the religious people you look down on.

I hate religion, but I also hate atheists.

Where did the like button go?

Listen to 15 minutes of any episode of the podcast Skepticality, and you will be praying for the God whose existence you doubt to smite these smirking pricks.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1970 on: September 08, 2010, 07:09:09 AM »
For the record, I think both atheists and religionists think they're smarter than the other--that's why they hold the opinions they do and not the other's--but that the difference is, the atheists are right.  Given that, what are they supposed to do: not discuss their views for fear that their dirty secret (that they actually believe they're right) will come out?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Sarah

« Reply #1971 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »
I have no patience with people who are certain they are right about something that cannot be proven.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1972 on: September 08, 2010, 08:43:26 AM »
Exactly, Sarah.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1973 on: September 08, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »
I've got a bad feeling about the direction this is going.

I agree with you, Andy, only in the sense that people who think they are smarter than others are frustrating.  Well, I guess we all feel that way sometimes, so let me rephrase as "People who think they are smarter than others - even after deep introspection on the likelihood of that - are frustrating."  But to pin that quality to all atheists - to make that quality a necessary trait of atheists - is unfair.  You may assume all atheists are like that because those are the most vocal atheists!

For the record, not all atheists think they are smarter than those who believe in a god or gods; just as not all Christians try to convert, not all Jews are kosher, and not all Hindus take the Ramayana to be a true story.  I am an atheist and have nothing but the utmost respect for my family members who believe in god.  My mother-in-law, who was born again, welcomed me into her family even though I was raised Jewish.  We used to have respectful discussions about everything.  She never gave me grief for being Jewish (I did not tell her about my atheism because I knew how sad it would make her), she never proselytized, and I never questioned her being born again.  It brought her joy and she felt it deeply, and that made me happy for her. 

If anything, I feel envy.  My wife's view of the universe is so much more spiritual and poetic than mine.

"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1974 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
I dunno, I think there are some claims so preposterous that the burden of proof is on those who make them, not on those who point out their preposterousness.

I also don't think invisible superheroes who live in outer space make for a more poetic universe than the one that seems to thrive without them.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1975 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
Introducing the SurvivaBall Model X7 Climate Change Mitigation Unit

I'm still mad that Tobey MacGuire ripped off the Yes Men.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1976 on: September 08, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
I avoids religious discussions altogether, unless they are fun discussions about what your family does for Ramadan or whatever.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1977 on: September 08, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
Here's a good rule of thumb:  Unless I ask you about your religious beliefs, keep them to yourself.
Bingo- I'm havin' a time

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1978 on: September 08, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Here's a good rule of thumb:  Unless I ask you about your religious beliefs, keep them to yourself.

That's not a bad rule.  On the other hand, I'm wondering which atheists forced you against your will to read/listen to them and thus occasioned this:

Some annoying atheist haranguing you on the subway perhaps?  That happens a lot.

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1979 on: September 08, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.