Author Topic: "Cool" music that you don't like  (Read 28499 times)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
Re: "Cool" music that you don't like
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »
animal collective

you're insane.

Quite Possibly.  I've given them enough listening time and I've even seen them sleepwalk through a show or two.. I just dont get it.

powiva

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:21 PM »
I haven't heard any emo rap but I'm excited by the notion.

While we're at it: Rollins.  Does nothing for me.

Sonny Rollins?  That old jazz guy?

I myself never liked the Who.

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2008, 03:43:28 AM »
I thought Kimya Dawson was verboten for FOT because of the "Juno" connection alone...

I kind of like Kimya Dawson. And I didn't hate Juno.

I think the idea of something being forbidden just because Tom hates it is repulsive. Plus, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, and JJ Jameson are all in Juno, and they're all still awesome.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2008, 08:48:04 AM »
Black Kids. Grr. Saw them open for Mates of State last year and they blew out some equipment, stood on stage for a long time, then did a weak set with the lead singer doing a shitty Robert Smith impression. And after THAT they got signed. I still agree with Tom's old statement that we already have enough bands.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:27 AM »
Plus, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, and JJ Jameson are all in Juno, and they're all still awesome.

This guy was in Juno?!

Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2008, 09:14:37 AM »
J. Jenna Jameson

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »

animal collective

you're insane.

I've become on the fence with the Animal Collective. They have moments of brilliance but the 13 minute jams of completely forgettable music really make it hard to be very wholehearted in any endorsement of the band. They are amazing 15% of the time, good 20% of the time and boring as hell the remaining 65%. Is that a great band?

On the subject of Michael Cera, I wonder how long he has left of being awesome. I don't blame the guy for riding the train he is riding, but my guess is that he will start being the best part of bad movies for a while and then become just another part of bad movies the way that Jack Black did.

Susannah

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2008, 11:47:38 AM »
I thought Kimya Dawson was verboten for FOT because of the "Juno" connection alone...

I think the idea of something being forbidden just because Tom hates it is repulsive. Plus, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, and JJ Jameson are all in Juno, and they're all still awesome.

Blasphemy!

Just kidding.  Of course the idea of disliking something because Tom dislikes it is silly.  Almost as silly as using the word "verboten."  I really did hate "Juno," though, with or without the Best Show blessing. 

I also really dislike Led Zeppelin, as Spoony mentioned earlier.  Take that, Tom!

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »
On the subject of Michael Cera, I wonder how long he has left of being awesome. I don't blame the guy for riding the train he is riding, but my guess is that he will start being the best part of bad movies for a while and then become just another part of bad movies the way that Jack Black did.

michael cera plays george michael bluth in just about everything.  im really pushing for him to expand; i dont want to become bored with him. 

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
I too wonder what will happen to him once he grows up and becomes a proper adult. I hope for the best.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »
I too wonder what will happen to him once he grows up and becomes a proper adult.

He'll replace John Cusack in all those shitty movies.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »

Blasphemy!

Just kidding.  Of course the idea of disliking something because Tom dislikes it is silly.  Almost as silly as using the word "verboten."  I really did hate "Juno," though, with or without the Best Show blessing. 

I also really dislike Led Zeppelin, as Spoony mentioned earlier.  Take that, Tom!

I love Kimya Dawson. Honest, funny songwriting from an honest funny person who doesn't have a pretentious bone in her body.

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
I love Kimya Dawson. Honest, funny songwriting from an honest funny person who doesn't have a pretentious bone in her body.

I've always thought the exact opposite. Isn't she a hippie?
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
I have no idea. But the first word that comes to mind when I think of hippies isn't "pretentious". It's more words like "phish", "reggae" "frisbee"  and "organic"

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
I have no idea. But the first word that comes to mind when I think of hippies isn't "pretentious". It's more words like "phish", "reggae" "frisbee"  and "organic"

not to mention: broom skirts+hemp purses+dirty feet+dread locks

pretentious and hippie is a judgement best served on a case-by-case basis.