Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 766108 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: General Movie Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »
I saw Zombieland today. Very enjoyable and funny, though I wish I hadn't had the cameo ruined.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #631 on: October 11, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
I saw "It Might Get Loud" this afternoon.  I thought it was ok. 
Doing it Mentos style.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #632 on: October 12, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
Midnight showing of 'Paranormal Activity' on Saturday. For me it lived up to the hype; it scared the bejeezus out of me and the whole crowd was genuinely into it (real fear, none of the usual midnight movie hooting/ironic screams). It is so simple and stripped down it almost feels more like a piece of conceptual art at times, and so obvious in a sense you wonder how no one has done this before. I predict this thing will rake it in on word of mouth.

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #633 on: October 12, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
I watched Antichrist last night, and... uh... yeah. It managed to be engrossing, unsettling and disturbing all at the same time. I don't think I'd want to watch it again, but I can't stop thinking about it.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »
I saw Zombieland today. Very enjoyable and funny, though I wish I hadn't had the cameo ruined.

Same here. I only glance at reviews before I see the movie yet I still had it ruined for me by reviewers. The cameo was still awesome though.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »
I finally was able to sit down with all 4+ hours of Soderbergh's Che over the long weekend and loved every minute of it. Maybe it's not for everybody, but as for me, I like my history dry as toast. This had pretty much everything I want from a historical biopic - minimal context, almost no flashbacks, no conceits to the usual biopic cliches and standards, super dry. Just striving to give the experience of what it would be like to be looking over this dude's shoulder during this certain historical period in time.

Also, insanely beautiful cinematography by Soderbergh on this one - gorgeous landscapes and natural scenes one after another. Really made me sorry I missed it on the big screen during the week it played my town.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #636 on: October 17, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »
I do not expect to get anyone here to see a kid's movie (unless you have kids), but "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" was a hoot.  Both my son and I were laughing hysterically and I had to remove my 3-D glasses over and over to get the tears out of my eyes. My son looked up at me and yelled with complete joy "THIS IS NONSENSE!" It was, and that was a good thing.

I will make only one pitch to get you to see it: There is a spoof of a viral internet video that has a kitten rapping "Fight The Power" with a bunch of ducklings behind him.

Now do as you must: Ignore this post and get back to talking about Fassbinder or whatever-the-fuck.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #637 on: October 17, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
I've heard really excellent review of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs from reputable critics. Based on the trailers, I had no interest in seeing this, but after hearing glowing review after glowing review, I'm now interested.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #638 on: October 17, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
I've only heard great things about CWACOM. Really want to see it.

ChrisRawk

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #639 on: October 18, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »
I agree with the fellow above, PARANORMAL ACTIVITY was pretty amazing.  Easily the best horror movie I've seen in years, lots of genuine, honest to goodness scares.  There's no way this won't be huge.
"Heave Ho!"

@ChrisNeri

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #640 on: October 18, 2009, 04:22:20 PM »
I've heard really excellent review of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs from reputable critics. Based on the trailers, I had no interest in seeing this, but after hearing glowing review after glowing review, I'm now interested.
I've only heard great things about CWACOM. Really want to see it.

I mean, yes, it IS a kid's movie, but it is beautiful to look at and funny and - as it gets to the climax - utterly insane.  Bruce Campbell and Mr. T do some very good voice over work as well.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #641 on: October 18, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Where the Wild Things Are was pretty depressing but I still liked it a lot.  The design of the wild things was absolutely wonderful.  There were a couple parts that dragged but there were plenty of lovely moments that made it well worth it.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #642 on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
Where the Wild Things Are was pretty depressing but I still liked it a lot.  The design of the wild things was absolutely wonderful.  There were a couple parts that dragged but there were plenty of lovely moments that made it well worth it.

Just saw it. Agreed. Not what I would call "fun."  But certainly lovely.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #643 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »

I have heard a lot of people say they found it depressing; it has moments of real sadness, but I am confused that people feel depressed about it. I was so excited to have a child-based movie (at least ostensibly) not end with a trite happy resolution, and I thought the last scene was absolutely perfect. I felt like I could walk on air when it finished.

Also loved Karen O's contribution to the perfect soundtrack.

JustNicole

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #644 on: October 18, 2009, 08:34:45 PM »

I have heard a lot of people say they found it depressing; it has moments of real sadness, but I am confused that people feel depressed about it. I was so excited to have a child-based movie (at least ostensibly) not end with a trite happy resolution, and I thought the last scene was absolutely perfect. I felt like I could walk on air when it finished.

Also loved Karen O's contribution to the perfect soundtrack.

I agree with you Dave.  I loved it.  This was not a book that was read to me as a nighttime story, but I have read it many times over the years and, after working with children for so many years, it spoke to me a lot.  Loved it from opening credits on.
Doing it Mentos style.