Author Topic: General Movie Thread  (Read 763314 times)

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
Re: General Movie Thread
« Reply #1740 on: June 11, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Anyone here a fan of Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man"?  I love it.  One of my all-time favorites.

Just saw that it's available streaming on Netflix. Hoping to re-watch it tonight for the first time in years.

Me. I was huge into Jarmusch during my college years and I've found as I've rewatched that they don't hold up at all. Except Dead Man.

They've all held up for me. In fact I used to hate Stranger Than Paradise til I rewatched it two years ago.

I'm with you Paul, I rewatched Mystery Train for the first time in years recently and loved it again. Though, the first time I watched it I didn't realize there were subtitles for the scenes with the Japanese couple so I had to try to figure out what they were saying from the context of the scene. I like it better that way.

I still love Down By Law the best though.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1741 on: June 11, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Finished Badlands today.

I hear good things about that The New World, but his other stuff is junk, right?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1742 on: June 11, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
Finished Badlands today.

I hear good things about that The New World, but his other stuff is junk, right?

Days of Heaven's a marvel.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1743 on: June 11, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
Finished Badlands today.

So good I was able to watch the whole thing despite my irrational hatred for Richard Gere.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1744 on: June 12, 2011, 01:10:38 AM »
Finished Badlands today.

I feel like in each one of his films her develops his vision a little further with the culmination of The Tree of Life.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1745 on: June 12, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
Anyone here a fan of Jim Jarmusch's "Dead Man"?  I love it.  One of my all-time favorites.

Just saw that it's available streaming on Netflix. Hoping to re-watch it tonight for the first time in years.

Me. I was huge into Jarmusch during my college years and I've found as I've rewatched that they don't hold up at all. Except Dead Man.

They've all held up for me. In fact I used to hate Stranger Than Paradise til I rewatched it two years ago.

I'm with you Paul, I rewatched Mystery Train for the first time in years recently and loved it again. Though, the first time I watched it I didn't realize there were subtitles for the scenes with the Japanese couple so I had to try to figure out what they were saying from the context of the scene. I like it better that way.

I still love Down By Law the best though.

Dead Man is my favorite too.  Maybe I'm wrong, but my sense is that Jarmusch is becoming a little passé, and younger film fans are largely not gravitating toward him anymore.  I liked The Limits of Control overall, but it was a huge bomb and I haven't seen too many people defend it. His next movie apparently involves vampires, but I can't imagine it will have much to do w/ the overexposed Twilight/True Blood sort.

I think Jarmusch is a little more unique than he's given credit for. I don't know when we'll see another "hipster" filmmaker adept at not only namechecking a bunch of references, but drawing interesting parallels between them as a form of indirect, Greil Marcus-like pop culture criticism. I'm thinking not only of looking for echoes of the American west in Neil Young's music and running with the samurai/Wu-Tang thing, but also plunking Joe Strummer and Japanese hipsters into his rumination on Elvis and Memphis in Mystery Train (speaking of Marcus...).  I know plenty of people find this approach boring or irritating, but I think there's still fun to be had in films like that one and Down By Law.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1746 on: June 12, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
It should also be mentioned that his early films - Permanent Vacation, Strangers in Paradise - were as influenced by Antonioni as anything else.

I haven't rewatched of his films recently, but I dearly love most of them based on multiple viewings over the years. Curiously, Dead Man is not one of my favorites.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1747 on: June 12, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
I realize taste is subjective and all that, but I defy anyone to enjoy the LA section of Night on Earth. Most of that movie is pretty boring (I only really enjoy the NY section), but that LA section is AWFUL, and it's mostly Winona Ryder's fault.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1748 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
I realize taste is subjective and all that, but I defy anyone to enjoy the LA section of Night on Earth. Most of that movie is pretty boring (I only really enjoy the NY section), but that LA section is AWFUL, and it's mostly Winona Ryder's fault.

I actually turned the movie off after that section years ago. I don't think anyone said the guy is batting 1000.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1749 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »

Wynonna and Gina Reynolds were pretty great i thought, but thats the only part of the movie ive seen on cable.

Sarah

« Reply #1750 on: June 12, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »

I believe I liked the Helsinki segment the best.

Sarah

« Reply #1751 on: June 12, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
And Days of Heaven is wonderful.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1752 on: June 12, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »
I saw Tree of Life today. I enjoyed it, though my enjoyment was somewhat marred by the elderly couple who chose to sit next to me in a non-crowded theater and, clearly having no idea what kind of movie they'd chosen, spent the entire running time loudly asking each other questions and generally trying to explain the film to each other.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1753 on: June 12, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
And Days of Heaven is wonderful.
I'm gonna have to hand over my paycheck to itunes because of you people. I love and hate apple at the same time. Hopefully if I get to move back to my hometown on a more permanent basis, I can hand over my money to the small independent business that keeps good movies in stock. That would make me much happier.

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1754 on: June 12, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
I saw Tree of Life today. I enjoyed it, though my enjoyment was somewhat marred by the elderly couple who chose to sit next to me in a non-crowded theater and, clearly having no idea what kind of movie they'd chosen, spent the entire running time loudly asking each other questions and generally trying to explain the film to each other.
You didn't include the part of your story where you took a fake call from work on your cell phone to excuse yourself from watching the movie because of the old people talking. Did Tom actually get a refund for Synecdoche New York?! That's how the story went, right?!  :)