Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703732 times)

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »

So nothing from his stable of horrible voices?

that stable has two horses in it: 1) John Wayne, and 2) Sassy Black Woman.

um, "gay voice"?

Oh yeah! I forgot that one, and Stoner Guy too.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »

um, "gay voice"?

The Chris Rock voice he did during the interview was kind of egregious, but it was over fairly quickly.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »

um, "gay voice"?

Oh yeah! I forgot that one, and Stoner Guy too.

I believe "gay voice" also doubles as "southern voice".

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »
C'mon guys. You're acting like Mrs. Doubtfire had never been filmed.

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Actually, the interview with Steven Pearl was everything I dreaded the Robin Williams interview would be.  Pearl just manically and without context (or only the flimsiest of contexts) did schtick, and then they complained about how all music today sucks.
Who I don't have chocolate?

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
Actually, the interview with Steven Pearl was everything I dreaded the Robin Williams interview would be.  Pearl just manically and without context (or only the flimsiest of contexts) did schtick, and then they complained about how all music today sucks.

Yeah, I'm with you 100% Pastor Josh.  The Williams interview was very good, IMO.  I was expecting an audio version of one of his Late Night/Tonight Show appearances.  It was a nice change of pace to hear him turned down to a 6.  

Honestly, I hadn't heard of Steven Pearl before WTF.  I probably won't be seeking his appearances out anytime soon.  I kept thinking of the Triumph - Stinky Faye (Horatio Sanz) routine where they talk about how good comedy useta be.  

Sidenote: I had a dream with Marc Maron after listening to this Podcast.  I dunno why, but I went out to Las Vegas to stay at Marc's house (the Cat Ranch.  I know he lives in LA, but in my dream, he was in Vegas).  When I got there, Marc and a real-life friend of mine where hanging out in his basement doing drugs together(!).  Then we went to a department store and I couldn't find my way around, and got lost in the make-up department.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
Actually, the interview with Steven Pearl was everything I dreaded the Robin Williams interview would be.  Pearl just manically and without context (or only the flimsiest of contexts) did schtick, and then they complained about how all music today sucks.

I thought almost the exact same thing at the end of the interview. I don't even think this interview reflects negatively on his comedy (which I know nothing about) - he was just trying WAY too hard.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
I was unfamiliar with him, too, but I was glad to hear he was happy.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2010, 10:21:48 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking by the end, "Hey Steve, maybe your career hasn't been what you'd hoped because you're almost insufferable in conversation."

To be fair, he may have been laying it on thick because it's an interview.  Either way, off-putting!

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:33 PM »
I need to listen to this.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:42 AM »
I thought this week's interviews with Carlos Mencia were pretty great. If nothing else you have to appreciate the drama of it all...

I'd love to hear Maron come on the show just to hear Tom's opinions on the Mencia and the interview.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »
Yeah, the two Mencia shows were pretty amazing stuff. Mencia does come across as slightly unstable or possibly mentally ill.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2010, 12:44:21 PM »
I came away from those feeling very sympathetic to Mencia, but not for the reasons he was pushing.  He did seem mentally ill, or at least to have some severe personality disorders.  Part of me wishes Marc had pushed him a little more, but I think he just realized there was something deeply broken in Mencia and pushing would just be cruel.  Overall, though, the two episodes were fascinating.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
What I find so interesting is that in the music world, Mencia would still be considered talented. He could say he's a cover artist and people would still respect him.

In a way, I've known people like him: people who feel the need to prove to others that they're great, and usually they do so by lying. When they're caught, they can't stop lying. To me, it just goes to show that Mencia is a regular guy who could've ended up at my office instead of on a TV show.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2010, 03:14:19 PM »
This thread made me curious enough to check out the Steven Pearl thing and I realized while listening that, while I have been to comedy clubs maybe three times in my life, I saw this guy at one of them--at the Holy City Zoo in SF, back in the early 80s, just like they're sayin.'  I do remember laughing quite hard.  At this interview, not so much.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau