Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703577 times)

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2010, 02:31:13 AM »
Maron haters might get a kick out of episode 69. It's a live show where almost every guest tells a story of when Marc was a condescending snot to them at some point in their careers.

It almost seemed like a roast. It felt like there was some genuine revenge riffing going on.

Marc also embarrases himself by confusing Jamaica with Haiti.

I gotta give the guy respect for posting an episode that makes him look like a complete dolt.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »
I admired his determination and directness in trying to get to the truth about Mencia. 

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »
I found the 2 Mencia episodes fascinating. Any sympathy I may have felt for Mencia evaporated when toward the end he claimed he had friends who wanted to beat up the people calling him out for joke thievery, but Mencia told them not to do it. What a humanitarian.

On the joke thievery bit, Maron made the good point that with the really hacky jokes (black people drive like this, white people drive like this), a lot of times there's nothing particularly original about the jokes. They may as well be public domain.

There's also a lot in the delivery of a joke. Somebody with a great joke who sucks on stage is never going to get too far. Some people have more talent when it comes to connecting with an audience. There are 'comedians' who don't particularly have any jokes, but seem to do well on stage. The immediate example coming to mind is Charlie Murphy. For whatever reason I was watching his special, and he was engaging and entertaining, but when there were jokes, they were really no great shakes.

All that said, it was pretty clear Mencia never writes or even tried to. I suppose he did pay people (or people were paid) to write for his show, which was at least fair, but early on he was pretty clearly just stealing stuff. Even aside from the thievery he comes off as a really horrible person, his confessional contrite bits sound like they come from a bully trying to get some sympathy.

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
Any sympathy I may have felt for Mencia evaporated when toward the end he claimed he had friends who wanted to beat up the people calling him out for joke thievery, but Mencia told them not to do it. What a humanitarian.

"People think I got the power because I got the monkeys.  Nope.  I got the power because I'll let the monkeys loose."

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »
Any sympathy I may have felt for Mencia evaporated when toward the end he claimed he had friends who wanted to beat up the people calling him out for joke thievery, but Mencia told them not to do it. What a humanitarian.

Agreed. He wanted a pat on the back for not doing something he wasn't supposed to do anyway.

I'm sure the amount of people who have genuine beef against Mencia far outweigh his actual friends.

Lemon Session

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »
Agreed. He wanted a pat on the back for not doing something he wasn't supposed to do anyway.
I'm sure the amount of people who have genuine beef against Mencia far outweigh his actual friends.

He couldn't have sounded more immature when he said that. He was acting like a nerd making excuses after getting beaten up in a fight -- "That guy's lucky my shoes were too heavy, because I would've roundhouse-kicked him in the face."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
Bro.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »
I am just now getting around to the Robin Williams interview. It's terribly entertaining.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
Here's the Mencia interview in a nutshell;

"I sincerely want to apologize to anyone whose material I may have stolen, even though I didn't, except for this time, and that time, and these three other times, but if I did, I am really REALLY sorry, and by the way, my brahs are going to beat the shit out of you for hurting my feelings for saying I stole your stuff, even if I did, which I definitely didn't."

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
I'm struggling to think of a person more out of touch with his own reality. 

These interviews (pts. 1&2) are amazing. 

Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
I've been following this thread with big-time interest b/c I wasn't able to get to the podcasts right away ... finally listened to them last weekend. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said quite well ... Maron might be a super-solipsistic dude, and he was very likely an absolute tool in his younger full-of-beans coked-up days, but Mencia has most if not all the boxes checked on his handy dandy DSM "Are You a Sociopath?" checklist.

A couple of times when Mencia was dealing with the joke stealing charges, I was reminded of OJ Simpson's book "If I Did It" (the only good thing about that book was that it brought down Judith Regan) ... There's this weird quality of detaching from the thing and describing how it could or couldn't be done (or even creepier-should've been done) as though Mencia (or Simpson) was running color commentary on himself. Totally weird.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2010, 04:25:11 AM »
Now if we could only get Marc Maron to interview Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope!!!
I can hear you judging me.

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
I think Mencia stumbled and showed his cards when talking about the Bill Cosby bit. He'd never heard it yet he knew it was from one of the most iconic stand up recordings of all time... so he's heard. I listened with an open mind but it just confirmed that most if not all of the rumors about him are true. As for Maron, there is something about a douche that knows he's a douche that makes him a little less douchey.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2010, 12:01:40 AM »
The next guest I'd like to hear is Katt Williams. Of course I'm guessing Maron and him don't exactly cross paths in the comedy world but Katt is certifiably insane now and it'd be an interesting interview.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
It'd be cool if he interviewed Carrot Top. Talk about damaged goods...