Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 705136 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #390 on: February 06, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Going by the title, is this Carolla's venture into the 'fratire' genre?

I've said it before, but I don't think it can be over stated: his book title is vile.

I can't not hear the title in his voice, so I'm guessing he doesn't mean it "fratirically" (I don't know if that's a word - I'd never heard of "fratire" until Alex P's post. It's probably something Carolla, having heard the term for the first time, would spend 25 minutes trying to shoehorn his book into so as to seem smart while also talking about building a piece of furniture so as not to seem like an egghead).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Pidgeon

« Reply #391 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
Fratire is basically just reactionary sexist nonfiction disguised as satire.

It's that kind of thing where, if you're so over-the-top and ridiculous in your offensiveness then that automatically means that no one has the right to criticize you for it.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #392 on: February 06, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
I wish Adam Carolla would go into fratirement.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #393 on: February 07, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
That Tobolowsky guy really likes the sound of his own voice, and really loves his own stories.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #394 on: February 07, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »
That Tobolowsky guy really likes the sound of his own voice, and really loves his own stories.

Way too true. I've listened to a bunch of The Tobolowsky Files, his podcast where he just tells stories about his life. Some are interesting, particularly the stories dealing with the process of acting and his participation in some awesome movies. Most of his stories revolve around his love life and in particular with an ex-girlfriend who he is obviously still very much in love with which must be awkward for his wife.

He also tries way too hard impart some universal or grand theme on all these stupid little stories. He also claims he remembers stuff from when he was 5. Honestly, no one does.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #395 on: February 07, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
He also claims he remembers stuff from when he was 5. Honestly, no one does.

Tell that to Marilu Henner and her super memory!

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #396 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »

Also, the term 'The other side of miracle' makes absolutely no sense even in context.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #397 on: February 07, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
It's possible to remember stuff from when you were 5. You can even remember stuff from past lives if you have the gift.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #398 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »
It's possible to remember stuff from when you were 5. You can even remember stuff from past lives if you have the gift.

Well obviously. I was just remembering the time that I was JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #399 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »

Well obviously. I was just remembering the time that I was JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Simultaneously?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »

I was just remembering the time that I was JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr.

How'd that work out?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Pidgeon

« Reply #401 on: February 08, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »
It seems like more than half the cases of past life-remembrances are people claiming to have been war heroes.

Pidgeon

« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
I'm listening to the Paul Scheer episode right now. I normally look past Maron's rudeness but him referring to Human Giant as "Aziz and the other one" was a little too much.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #403 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
Today's episode, people!!!!!
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
Today's episode, people!!!!!

I've been trying to listen to them in order, but I'm like 15 behind and I have to listen to this one immediately.