Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703633 times)

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #480 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Agreed. Conan is top shelf!

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #481 on: April 04, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
What's Marc gonna do when he runs out of guests?

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #482 on: April 04, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
He said he was gonna expand his guest roster to include people not necessarily involved in the entertainment industry. He cited a WTF episode he did with a childhood friend who worked on some part of the Hubble space telescope, during an interview on All Things Considered.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #483 on: April 04, 2011, 08:04:13 PM »
Oh yeah, I seem to remember he had a psychologist on once.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #484 on: April 04, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
I liked hearing Conan in non-manic mode.

I'd like to hear him do some more "on the road" type shows -- like a more abrasive version of Charles Kuralt.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #485 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »
Conan seems like a good dude.

I really think Maron is doing a great culture-historical service by getting all these people to open up so much for the microphone.  Not that people are going to care, 50 years from now, what was going on with 95% of them, but with the ones (like Conan and Tom) who people will still find interesting (in the way that we find, I don't know, Ted Healy interesting)*, Maron is creating an archive that will have lasting value.

By the way, after the last Best Show I was bored so I googled Ted Healy.  Did you know that the Three Stooges once did business as "The Three Lost Souls"?  I almost wish they'd stuck with that (except that Iggy and the Ashetons probably wouldn't have found it very appropriate and we would have missed out on one of the best band names ever).

* I don't mean to equate Tom with Ted Healy.  I'm probably trying to pack too much disparate shit into one post.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #486 on: April 04, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »
Iggy and The Lost Souls sounds  interesting to me.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #487 on: April 05, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »
Iggy and The Lost Souls sounds  interesting to me.

It's not bad, but to me it sounds more like some C-level acid-burnout band (who might, admittedly, have put out one fascinating album), where "The Stooges" is a mighty name to be reckoned with like Godzilla.  I don't hate the Three Stooges (don't love 'em either, though I will admit that the "nyuk-nyuk-nyuk VOOB VOOB VOOB Hey Moe! Soitenly!" vocal stylings often crack me up), but generally I do think their greatest contribution to American culture was the monicker Iggy and his boys picked.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #488 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:53 AM »
He said he was gonna expand his guest roster to include people not necessarily involved in the entertainment industry. He cited a WTF episode he did with a childhood friend who worked on some part of the Hubble space telescope, during an interview on All Things Considered.

"For some reason I always asssumed that telescope hated me."

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2011, 04:25:45 AM »
Is that a direct quote from Mr. Maron? Seems like something he would say.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »
So, the Conan episode was awesome.

No joke.  That was, through and through, absolutely great.  Conan fended off the self-loathing, and kept that interview on the rails.  I loved it.  An ivy league dude who didn't gross me out, either, which was nice. 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »
Conan seems like a good dude.

I really think Maron is doing a great culture-historical service by getting all these people to open up so much for the microphone.  Not that people are going to care, 50 years from now, what was going on with 95% of them, but with the ones (like Conan and Tom) who people will still find interesting (in the way that we find, I don't know, Ted Healy interesting)*, Maron is creating an archive that will have lasting value.

By the way, after the last Best Show I was bored so I googled Ted Healy.  Did you know that the Three Stooges once did business as "The Three Lost Souls"?  I almost wish they'd stuck with that (except that Iggy and the Ashetons probably wouldn't have found it very appropriate and we would have missed out on one of the best band names ever).

* I don't mean to equate Tom with Ted Healy.  I'm probably trying to pack too much disparate shit into one post.

I like the idea of a 'Three Lost Souls' movie opening with that 'Three Blind Mice' theme. 'Three Lost Souls, Three Lost Souls...'

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #492 on: May 09, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
This week's Jonathan Winters interview is a must if you have any affection for the man at all.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #493 on: May 09, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
This week's Jonathan Winters interview is a must if you have any affection for the man at all.

That one was pretty fascinating.  His precision was incredible.  He's absolutely one of the masters of the form.
Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #494 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »

Great stuff. I noticed that though he sounded a little old and distant when just talking, he immediately brightened up whenever doing a bit. It's amazing to me that he was doing stuff like that back in the 60s. I can't imagine how anyone could handle it; clearly, Winters couldn't for many years...

He was involved in one of my most beloved shows ever, a cartoon version of Ed Grimley that ran for one lone season (no, really). He did a whole slew of great voices, including Ed's landlord Mr. Freebus. There's one episode where Mr. Freebus is distraught over his wife leaving him, and says one of my favorite lines in anything ever: "It's all my fault, Ed--although I do blame others."
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants