Author Topic: Marc Maron  (Read 703636 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Marc Maron
« Reply #840 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Re: Stephen Merchant episode. I'm about twenty minutes in but seriously, I know England is the scary place with comedy that you can't get into, Marc, but would it kill you to do a little bit of research so you're not just asking questions to a stranger at random?

"So, how did you get famous?" Ugh.

Wikipedia was down that day, y'know.

Maron obviously wants a loosey-goosey, chatting-in-the-garage vibe, but he could certainly tighten up his preparation for guests that he may not know that well.  For example, he asked Carrie Brownstein if anyone from Sleater-Kinney was in Wild Flag.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #841 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
Re: Stephen Merchant episode. I'm about twenty minutes in but seriously, I know England is the scary place with comedy that you can't get into, Marc, but would it kill you to do a little bit of research so you're not just asking questions to a stranger at random?

Yeah I heard that on the episode. It's not like he couldn't have done some research...the day before.

Crusherkc

« Reply #842 on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »

Maron obviously wants a loosey-goosey, chatting-in-the-garage vibe, but he could certainly tighten up his preparation for guests that he may not know that well.  For example, he asked Carrie Brownstein if anyone from Sleater-Kinney was in Wild Flag.

I felt embarassed for Maron in the Carrie Brownstein WTF b/c he came off sounding like a classic-rock DJ trying to relate to the new rock music.  Also, no recognition of Mary Timony of Helium, maybe he was out of Boston by the time they did their thing there.

The Steve Merchant WTF was pretty good but I agree: there's a lot of "What's England like?" talk.  Whenever Brit comedy comes up he gets real antsy.  In the Michael Cera WTF he asked what Brit-com shows he watched (when MC brought the subject up) when Maron interrupted him mid-answer with a different question. 

Still, I've followed Maron through his Conan appearances through all the Air America shows up to this so I've accepted him for who he is- extremely funny, brutally honest but with deep flaws. 

When the Kevin Hart WTF arrives tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised if Maron asks him if he's got an entourage like he did another black comedian Chris Rock.  (Maron forgets he himself was in one- Sam Kinison's)
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #843 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
As always, Omar speaks the truth.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #844 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »
If Marc hasn't appreciated the more subtle British comedies at this point, I guess it's not happening any time soon and is it possible the occasional guest has become available at short notice therefore not leaving much time for research? I struggle to give any criticism to the mighty mighty MM.
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

wood and iron

« Reply #845 on: April 18, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
After finishing the episode I will say that I really enjoyed the interview with Stephen Merchant. They went to interesting places with the discussion. It was just the beginning when it seemed like it was going to be a straight career rundown that Marc's lack of research and complete disengagement from British comedy was a hindrance.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #846 on: April 19, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
After finishing the episode I will say that I really enjoyed the interview with Stephen Merchant. They went to interesting places with the discussion. It was just the beginning when it seemed like it was going to be a straight career rundown that Marc's lack of research and complete disengagement from British comedy was a hindrance.

My only problem with it was the lack of discussion of any post-2007 work (I think that's when Extras ended). He and Gervais have had a feature film and a new show which were both pretty reviled, and I'd like to hear Merchant's thoughts on the backlash. Obviously that's a tough place for an interviewer to go to, but Marc usually seems willing and can be tactful. If only he knew about anything other than the Office and Extras.

ben

« Reply #847 on: April 20, 2012, 02:18:46 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about the Stephen Merchant (and Carrie Brownstein) episodes.  But you're burying the lead, as they say.  The most important thing from the Merchant episode was the news that another Marc and Tom show has already been recorded! 

Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Alex P.

• Policemans heel
« Reply #848 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
If I could have anything in the world, it would be a genuine, straight-faced WTF interview with Tim & Eric.

Crusherkc

« Reply #849 on: April 27, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
A combative Maron takes on the fake judgey 50-something Jewish housewives of Marblehead, MA
in the latest Ronna & Beverly Podcast.  Usually guests are stuck 3 or 4 sentences behind the improvers but Maron's turned the tables and has them in a tizzy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ronna-beverly/id440285955

Description:

Released Apr 27, 2012

What a downer Marc Maron is! He just insists on talking about his ex-wives and dark past and even tries to insinuate dirty things about Ronna's children! This whole trip to Los Angeles has been a bust! Hopefully we'll have a cheerier episode with a nice family man soon!
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

mostlymeat

« Reply #850 on: April 27, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the tip, it's always fun to hear Marc in other contexts. I've never heard Ronna & Beverly but I'm kinda surprised that people are still doing "jewish mom" schtick.

A combative Maron takes on the fake judgey 50-something Jewish housewives of Marblehead, MA
in the latest Ronna & Beverly Podcast.  Usually guests are stuck 3 or 4 sentences behind the improvers but Maron's turned the tables and has them in a tizzy.

Description:

Released Apr 27, 2012

What a downer Marc Maron is! He just insists on talking about his ex-wives and dark past and even tries to insinuate dirty things about Ronna's children! This whole trip to Los Angeles has been a bust! Hopefully we'll have a cheerier episode with a nice family man soon!

mostlymeat

« Reply #851 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
Wow they are really good at "jewish mom". Their characters are really fleshed out.

Thanks for the tip, it's always fun to hear Marc in other contexts. I've never heard Ronna & Beverly but I'm kinda surprised that people are still doing "jewish mom" schtick.

Description:

Released Apr 27, 2012

mike_b

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #852 on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
I can definitively vouch for the laser-like accuracy of Ronna and Beverly, because it gives me the same specific kind of tired I get at family functions.  That is not a criticism.

Also holy shit, Kevin Hart, blow your dang nose!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #853 on: April 27, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »
The Bob Zmuda interview is one of the Top 5 WTFs.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Ike

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #854 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
The Bob Zmuda interview is one of the Top 5 WTFs.

And I would put the Chelsea Handler diametrically the opposite of the Zmuda one.  Horrible.  Maron's got nothing to do with why it's bad, either. 

I was looking forward to this, too, for some reason. 

Ugh. 
Well it's been a long time since I've had my favorite drink