Author Topic: Podcast Suggestions?  (Read 650403 times)

Reeleyes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Podcast Suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:20 AM »
Reeleyes - What do I know your icon from?

Anyway, since I'm a leftist nut, I really only listen to Democracy Now (and of course the two Best Show related podcasts) via podcast.

It's from the comic book "Kick Ass". I listen to Democracy Now from time to time. Leading up to the election I listened to that and the Thom Hartman show daily without fail.
You look like a really healthy Arthy Lang.

methanolcereal

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 02:49:19 AM »

Anyway, since I'm a leftist nut, I really only listen to Democracy Now (and of course the two Best Show related podcasts) via podcast.

It's from the comic book "Kick Ass". I listen to Democracy Now from time to time. Leading up to the election I listened to that and the Thom Hartman show daily without fail.

Ah! That's what it's from! John Romita Jr. is one of my favorite artists. I should have picked up on that.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
Also I got rid of all three of the Sunday Political shows (meet the press etc)

They stopped doing as much roundtables and they treat republicans seriously.

KCRW's To the Point is the best news and politics radio/podcast going and it's daily.

Reeleyes

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »

Ah! That's what it's from! John Romita Jr. is one of my favorite artists. I should have picked up on that.

I'm a big fan of his as well. I just picked up his Spiderman #600 with 60 pages of content. I guess now that it's out of the way we should see more Kick Ass.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
It's still a really great show, and I think it's one of the very few shows that really captures and analyzes what it's like to be a mid-20's dude who is self-aware enough to know how ridiculous it can be to be a mid-20's dude.

I think Jordan is that self-aware, yes.  But Jesse, I'm not so certain.

But I think that's why it works.

todd

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
It's still a really great show, and I think it's one of the very few shows that really captures and analyzes what it's like to be a mid-20's dude who is self-aware enough to know how ridiculous it can be to be a mid-20's dude.

You mean a guy that dresses like Orville Redenbacher isn't self-aware!?

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out a way to address this without sounding like a munch... Especially as a guy who likes the show!

Keith Whitener

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
C&EE is fine when they're joking around but Jimmy Dore's politics are like listening to a high schooler.

In what way? The dichotomy of liberal and conservative is a false dichotomy and Jimmy properly rejects it. The majority of the mainstream media is run by corporations and, as a result, is unwilling to engage in real investigative journalism.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
C&EE is fine when they're joking around but Jimmy Dore's politics are like listening to a high schooler.

In what way? The dichotomy of liberal and conservative is a false dichotomy and Jimmy properly rejects it. The majority of the mainstream media is run by corporations and, as a result, is unwilling to engage in real investigative journalism.

I think Dore's political commentary would be a little better if he based it in own experiences rather than trying to take down cable TV show windbags.

Also, can't decide if Todd Glass' follow-up rants are annoying or charming. He will admit he doesn't know much about a topic, but then go to town, closing with a "SHUT the F* UP!!!!!" to whoever the offending party might be.

Keith Whitener

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »

I think Dore's political commentary would be a little better if he based it in own experiences rather than trying to take down cable TV show windbags.

[/quote]

What would that entail?

todd

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

I think you just kinda proved my point. Everybody knows that shit already.

I think Jimmy wants to come off as a Jon Stewart kind of guy, but their show is COMPLETELY DEVOID OF COMEDY when he goes on one of his rants. It just comes down to him reading those patronizing letters and saying "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!" while Todd tries to defend "that one guy out there listening right now who is saying..."

I don't think either of them have a strong enough grasp of the issues they take on to make it informative, nor do they have a sense of humor about it to make it entertaining.

But when they're fucking around being silly, it's great!

Also Stef-ann-ay has been on fiyah lately. She really came into her own.

Reeleyes

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »

I think you just kinda proved my point. Everybody knows that shit already.

I think Jimmy wants to come off as a Jon Stewart kind of guy, but their show is COMPLETELY DEVOID OF COMEDY when he goes on one of his rants. It just comes down to him reading those patronizing letters and saying "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!" while Todd tries to defend "that one guy out there listening right now who is saying..."

I don't think either of them have a strong enough grasp of the issues they take on to make it informative, nor do they have a sense of humor about it to make it entertaining.

But when they're fucking around being silly, it's great!

Also Stef-ann-ay has been on fiyah lately. She really came into her own.

I agree with most of this but I think Jimmy pulls punches on the funny commentary on C&EE and saves it for Pop and Politics or his radio show. Too many irons in the fire I guess.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »

This made me laugh out loud. At work.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »
Since the Stochastic Hit Parade isn't listed in the iTunes store, I tried to subscribe to the podcast manually -

http://wfmu.org/archivefeed/mp3/HP.xml

Only iTunes says that link is invalid. Is there any easier way to subscribe (Advanced -> Subscribe to Podcast)?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company) has two egghead ones I like: Lingua Franca, and the Philosopher's Zone.