Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33932 times)

Paul DePhiladelphia

Re: Treme
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
Not to come off as 'more of a fan' for my connection with Treme but here is why I think it's a remarkable show:

I was born in Louisiana and lived there up until last July when I moved up north. I lived in NOLA, attending college the year before the storm.
I am from a city called Lake Charles that was actually mentioned a few episodes ago.
When Katrina hit I evacuated New Orleans to be with my family in Lake Charles. On the day of the storm,after the levee broke, the mood in Louisiana was unlike anything I had ever witnessed. Two hours away in Lake Charles it was sunny and there wasn't even a hint of the horrible events that were taking place.

I thought I'd never relate until a month later when Lake Charles and the rest of Southwest Louisiana was hit by Rita, an even more powerful storm than Katrina.

We were displaced to north LA for two months then came back to clean up without electricity for a week and school didnt start back up for another month.
New Orleans had flooding and Lake Charles had the fallen trees. It was like when they say tornadoes demolish a house then leave the neighbors house unscathed. We had a few branches throught our roof while our neighbor's house was smashed by a giant oak.

Anyway, Treme brings back all of these memories. And though at times it can be painfully sad, I think that it is doing an amazing job at capturing the general feel of the reconstructing time: Some faired well and others faired really bad. The hurricanes didn't choose who they were going to hurt.
Also being a Louisianian there are LOADS of references and inside jokes. Seeing a steady intake of Abita amber and crawfish, Baton Rouge hatred and trips to Tipitina's make me very happy.

And from me as a tv fan: This guy I know/hate asked me about it pronouncing it 'Treem'(which is a dead giveaway they have never seen the show) and he wanted to know if I think it is more boring than The Wire. Though I can understand that it is moving pretty slow, it really upsets me to know that people out there will write it off after one episode as 'too boring.' It's a shame that people don't have patience for story a character development. I mean really what do you expect from a show the focuses on lives in a post-Katrina New Orleans?
Also I'd say all of the acting is really strong (Goodman, Zahn). And I have been in love with Kim Dickens since Friday Night Lights.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
Can a show be disappointing and the best show on TV at the same time? It's not going anywhere but it's still pretty enjoyable and I don't think I can make an argument for another show... although I haven't watched Breaking Bad yet. It's either a statement about the current shows on TV or that gripping television doesn't need to be anything more than intriguing characters just living life.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2010, 06:25:15 AM »
The biggest qualm BY FAR for me is the incessant self pitying / griping / yelling about katrina and how the city is fucked up. I know, it's reasonable to a certain degree. But do people really walk around like "Hows it goin", "not bad, fuckin fema!". It starts to grate on my nerves after a bit. Don't they ever just talk about random stuff?

You do realize this takes place right after Katrina, right? I think if you lived there and you were still finding bodies and the utilities still weren't working properly and your house was still gutted and smelling of rotting wood, you might be preoccupied with that. Not to mention the fact that most of the city's population still hadn't returned.

Yah, it seems reasonable to me that the characters in the show will be Katrina-centered for the full run. I am surrounded by neighbors still pissed off about the war between the states.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
I just watched Nashville for the first time and i knew Simon had been compared to Altman but you can really see the similarity's now especially with Nashville and Treme.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2010, 06:55:48 AM »
I am in the crowd scene when the gospel choir is singing at the Parthenon. Look for me!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
I am in the crowd scene when the gospel choir is singing at the Parthenon. Look for me!

The legend continues....

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
I think things are starting to pick up. Quite a lot happened last episode. Davis and Annie, Antoine and his ex, her brothers death, John Goodman losing faith in NOLA, the jerky piano player probably pulling the last straw. Gang violence and homicide skyrocketed around that time and I wouldn't be surprised if the show took on that.

Sarah

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:29 PM »
The oil explosion makes me nostalgic for post-Katrina NO.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »
That'll be season two

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Sad episode last night. But I knew a suicide had to happen sooner or later.

Sarah

« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »
Yeah, it was predictable.  And I was so pissed off at him for doing that to his wife and daughter, I couldn't feel as much sympathy as I might otherwise have done. 

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2010, 07:45:31 AM »
Yeh I'm not really sad for Goodman. But when he told his daughter goodbye that broke my heart. She is so sweet and I hope her character isn't phased out. Goodman's whole "I care about my location more than my family" attitude is dispicable. He was by far the best off. He had a job, family and house.

Sarah

« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »
Yup.  The character's act struck me as unutterably selfish.  I suppose that can be said of any suicide, but this was a guy who clearly could still derive pleasure from many things in his life, despite his writer's block and the destruction of his beloved city.  For him to inflict such pain on his wife and daughter was indeed despicable.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
I was sorry to see Goodman's character go, but definitely agree that leaving his wife and daughter like that was awful.It was perhaps emotionally manipulative, the farewell to his daughter before he runs off and does that to her, but like Paul I found it heartbreaking.

Sarah

« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
If the character had been established as deeply, desperately depressed, it would have sat better with me.