Author Topic: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?  (Read 1025623 times)

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Very Second?
« Reply #360 on: August 14, 2008, 08:30:20 AM »
I know the history, but I'm basing my official "embracing" point on the release of Sea Change, where, although he had always been around scientology, he finally dumped his non-scientologist girlfriend via scientologist intervention, made a crappy, over-produced soft-rock album, and jumped the shark whilst inadvertently(?) sending album-cover-designer Jeremy Blake into a paranoid downward spiral that resulted in a crazy-ass double-suicide, then went on tour with the Flaming Lips and got totally upstaged by them.

The Theresa Duncan/Jeremy Blake double suicide thing is why I just can't listen to Beck anymore.  Inadvertent or not, when I'm hearing 'Beercan', I'm envisioning somebody discovering Jeremy Blake's remains.

I don't know if you intended this post to be funny, but now I'm thinking of a dead body washing up on the shore and those weird voices at the end of "Beercan": "Awwww Yeah.  My goodness!" Am I sick for thinking that's funny?

I laughed at yr comment, maybe we are both sick.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #361 on: August 14, 2008, 09:02:14 AM »
Joan as Policewoman

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #362 on: August 14, 2008, 09:02:52 AM »
my toe throbbing.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #363 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
I saw that cutlery/glassware percussion thing live and it was pretty impressive.  I also liked that it was a funny bit of stagecraft, with the backing band "taking a dinner break" on stage. 

I'm fairly ambivalent about Beck.  It's hard to get excited about him anymore, but that might just be because of the high degree of output.  I liked that album "Guero" a lot, but wasn't crazy about "Sea Change" or "The Information."  And while I like the idea of him working with Danger Mouse, I feel like he's biting on the whole garage/psychedelia revival thing that Terre T (among others) has been championing.

And, in the time it's taken me to write this: Lil' Wayne, "You Cant (Remix)" -> The Tokeleys, "Jonathan Tokeley Parry" -> Lou Reed, "I'm So Free."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #364 on: August 14, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »
I saw that cutlery/glassware percussion thing live and it was pretty impressive.  I also liked that it was a funny bit of stagecraft, with the backing band "taking a dinner break" on stage. 

I'm fairly ambivalent about Beck.  It's hard to get excited about him anymore, but that might just be because of the high degree of output.  I liked that album "Guero" a lot, but wasn't crazy about "Sea Change" or "The Information." 

I agree with you about the high degree of output, but that's kinda why I prefer albums like Sea Change and Mutations.  They (for the most part) hold back from the usual "garbage-can-face-chewin-on-a-lightbulb" type lyrics, which are at first cool, but after 5 or 6 albums of that, anything which take on a slower, more melodic feeling is in my mind a refreshing break. Granted, he blatantly ripped off Serge Gainsbourg's "Melody" for the song "Paper Tiger" but I'd still rather listen to Sea Change than most other Beck albums these days.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #365 on: August 14, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
I like Guero and the first half of Midnite Vultures. The rest can go jump in a lake.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #366 on: August 14, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »
I like Guero and the first half of Midnite Vultures. The rest can go jump in a lake.

Time to settle this shit, pollstyle.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
Isaac Hayes covers/samples (coming soon to a podcast near you).

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
English Beat - Save it for Later

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
God Bless the Drunkard's Dog by PW Long. Found it in a Louisville store. Love it.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
I want a poll. Sea Change is in the top three of Beck albums, I think. I'm not a big fan of his wacky music.

Gibby

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »

Racebannon, Acid or Blood?

Hmm. Not entirely sure about this. I suppose a band has the right to slow down and groove it up a bit but I want the hairburning terror of Satan's Kickin Yr Dick In or In The Grips Of The Light.
"How do they see you when there's no light?"

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
crunchy pear bites

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2008, 10:47:04 PM »
Fugazi - Arpeggiator

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48:07 PM »
laughter
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time